Shanling H5 .. IFI Go Pod?

Like the title implies I am lost - really like both formfactors as been for the longest wanting for the Topping G5(before the H5 was released) and already using the Fiio UTWs series.

Never gotten around to buy the Topping, and now I am planning to “Finalize” the home office which is now permanently working from home office. So want something that was BT for using around the house and on-the-go. Almost only using IEMs these days(contemplating if the time is to go CIEM) so don’t really need that much power but the H5 local play feature was why it peaked my interesse.

What would you go for?

You probably can’t go wrong with either. I have never personally tried the Shanling H5, so I can’t really speak to those features. However, I did just receive my first pair of CIEMs and their phenomenal. I’d definitely recommend getting yourself a pair.

1 Like

one thing to note is that the H5 has a suprisingly high output impedence

Higher output impedance (4.7 Ohm for 3.5mm // 6.6 Ohm for 4.4mm)

Which can cause issues with IEMs if you are following the 1/8th rule

1 Like

Thanks! Good to hear!

Yeah, saw that but would that act more like some of those impedance adapters for most IEMs?
But most of my IEMs are not super sensitive.

1 Like

Its similar to having an impedence adapter but not exactly the same. its less about sensitivity and more about the impedance curve of certain IEMs. multi BA sets usually get impacted by higher output impedance far more than DDs. Its hard to tell how your IEM will react without trying it. I

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I would say it depends on what iems you will be using.

Well my current most used one pairs are the 9YU Audio U556 and GoldPlanar GL20… odd collections but works for me.

Planning to get a pair(or more) CIEMs maybe some BA units …

1 Like

For your current iems the planar will always appreciate more power.

1 Like

Make sense but still would think that the 120w should be enough for most usage?

Yep it will work and have that wireless feel but it won’t drive them to the best they can be.

1 Like

one thing that was something I didnt think about between going true wireless (UTWS3) and BT dac/amp (Q5K) is that the ear hooks on the UTW3 are way less comfy than a cable. Im sure you will get used to it but I go back and forth often and Im always reminded how the sturdier hooks negatively impact fit

1 Like

I think right now I am leaning towards the H5 to have the flex in what is plugged in and how therefore sacrifice a little on convenience.