Share snapshots of your present ENDGAME =D

It’s been my go-to headphone since it’s been on the market.

Try to find a negative rating in the usual portals.

Doesn’t exist, so yes, this one is that outstanding :+1: :star_struck: :100:

2 Likes

By the way, lately I’ve become more of an in-ear fetishist, with a collection that some doctors would probably diagnose me as addicted to :laughing:

So here “just” my top 3:

5 Likes

I enjoy the SR2’s specifically because they lack that high end. When you refer to clarity, what do you mean exactly? Their lack of piercing highs is why I like them. I have Focals and specifically Grado’s for the really top end of the sound range. These have their own niche in my collection.

I forgot to ask, do you think the SR3’s are different enough from the SR2’s to warrant purchasing? They look almost identical.

2 Likes

These two differ in nuances, but are similar in the sound characteristics, as @voja already mentioned.

So I personally recommend that, if you already own the SR2, then look more for a Hifiman XS, or a Bayedynamic 880, Grado you have it…., so a Sennheiser HD 600 would still be a recommendation to cover as many music genres and sound signatures as possible.

1 Like

I am not really a Senn or Beyer fan, just curious about the SR3’s. I don’t see me going for them. I love what the SR2’s do.

1 Like

This is something that I will aim to answer in my article. I think that only the most die-hard SR2 fans can justify owning both the SR2 and the SR3. They are different, and that 150Ω specification of the SR3 might be appealing to some.

However, it cannot be said that they are two completely differently tuned headphones, because they share A LOT in common.

2 Likes

Very nice! Thank you for the info.

Someone once asked me what audiophile addiction means?

Well, I explained to him: First you “lay” a line,

then you sniff and inhale the concentrated variety of sounds,

go all the way through nirvana,

until you finally end up in the circle of madness.

23 Likes

Now, that right there, ladies and gentleman, is what you call enthusiasm!

Holyyy! If you have a partner, they must’ve been very impressed by that line :wink::man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Hahahahaha! Great!

1 Like

Brother you’re a psycho maniac and I love it.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Here is a slightly fanatical picture after my organizing today…

7 Likes

I didn’t know where else to put this, so I guess here will do! SO you guys remember the setup. If not, here it is

An exciting thing happened today. I finally decided to roll out the PS Vain 12AU7s on the TA-20 and roll in a near perfect, matched set of Mullard 12AU7 tubes I have been sitting on for a long time. I have been very happy with the PS Vain tubes and have enjoyed the sound signature they produce. But they have been in there for a long time, and I have been getting itchy lately, lustily looking at other amps etc. It hit me last night that I still haven’t tried the Mullard’s yet in the TA-20. Sooooooooo…

I did the swap earlier this morning and I am somewhat dumbfounded. The Mullard’s are FANTASTIC! There is a significant difference in the sound signature. The first thing that struck me was the warmer, more textured bass. It doesn’t hit quite as hard as the PS Vains, but it’s smoother and more authoritative, with better extension and controlled tone. Not flabby and overdone, just lovely. Vocals have been brought slightly forward. Instrument separation is slightly improved with a bit more air between each. Stage is wider and a bit deeper. Overall, there is a more enjoyable musicality to these Mullard’s that I now see I was lacking with the Vains.

What a surprise this turned out to be. I couldn’t be happier! I always believed that tube rolling was legit and have experienced gains with each set I have tried. But I was not expecting this much improvement, especially since this is a hybrid. These Mullards are impressive! I haven’t used headphones on it yet, I am having too much fun on speakers! But I’ll get there.

It should be noted that I am starting to realize that running a tube preamp into a solid-state power amp is my rapidly becoming my preferred configuration for a speaker setup. If I ever have a chance to build a next-level system, this is how I will approach it. That said, the stuff I am using now isn’t bad at all (TA-20 as the pre into the DA-9 with those nice German Class D power modules). So no rush.

12 Likes

A revised system.

17 Likes

How’s the LP so far?

Lovin’ it again! The Clears are great with it, which I expected. I am looking forward to trying the Nectar Sound Bee’s with it. I have the Loki in the chain, but must first get a cable made at Hart: 3.5mm dual mono.

3 Likes

@TimpTim44 @ShaneD What’s up, boys! Hey Everyone! :sunglasses:

I have been in a state of anticipation all day! And sure enough, the LP has arrived. Of course, I am listening to it as we “speak”! I enjoyed the whole unboxing ceremony very much. This amp looks better in person than in the pictures. It slid right into its spot and looks like it has always been there. This is a very nice-looking piece in my opinion. I went ahead and installed the Gold Lions Straight away. That’s why I bought 'em. And yes, the TA-20 has been lifted. That felt weird, man. That amp has been a good friend. But it’s out, at least for now.

The LP is energized, and I have to say it’s pretty impressive in it’s overall presentation. I mean, like, fantastic, right out of the box. I have the EDXS connected and I am finding it to be extremely engaging to my ear. I should probably elaborate in the LP thread. But this thing is stayin! It’s too dark in here now to show the revised skyline, so I will do that tomorrow.

3 Likes

That’s a great looking lineup, Shane. :+1:t2:

1 Like