Share your home theater setup

They’re absolutely gorgeous! I have to keep the covers on during movies cuz they can be so distracting :laughing:

1 Like

From the ashes…

After finishing up with the main surround setup, I got everything cleaned up and noticed I had this pile of “leftover stuff”. All vintage to some degree, all still viable. So I thought… What the heck. Maybe I can throw something together for the bedroom. So I pooled all this together

• Denon AVR-2808ci
  • Toshiba HD CD/DVD player with HDMI and digital optical audio output
  • Mistubishi MS-10 speakers
  • Sony CD player

Again, more ripping and cleaning. I was in awe of how well the 2808 cleaned up. I never really used this HD player, but it’s a great unit. Paying CDs with the fiber optic digital connection to the 2808 - Holy Cow. The biggest surprise was the speakers, though.

I thought these MS-10s were dead. Oh Lord, they are anything but. These things kick ass! They deliver impeccable and powerful sound when paired with the 2808. I do need to get them up on stands. Can’t wait to hear them up at proper level. They are incredible. I put some Miles Davis and Quincy Jones Live at Montreux on and was stunned by how good it sounded. So now I have 3 completely different setups in the house, each one offers it’s own unique experience and flavor. I love it!

5 Likes

Making my way through another part of the Snyder cut tonight after finally getting my room properly set up this past weekend.

-LG 55" 4k (60 hz)
-Denon AVR X-1400H - I would like to upgrade to one that is going to have pre-outs for an amp or two not just for zones.
-XBOX Series X
-Polk SDA 2b
-Polk S20
-SVS PB-1000 Pro
-Still in search of a center channel

BEFORE: The dashed lines are rugs

AFTER: Waiting on a Nugget couch for the little one

6 Likes

This is the way.

Would be sick and cool and wonderful and scary and everything . :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Speakers: DALI Zensor 7
Subwoofer: J. Yazbek’s AAT Cube Rakt 12"
Amp: Denon AVR-X2400H
TV: Samsung Q7FN (QLED 55")
Sources: PS4 Pro, PS3 SS, Pioneer DVL-909 LD/DVD/CD player
Power: UPSAI ACF-2100T step down transformer/conditioner, GR Savage CDR-2200EX 220v conditioner

This one used to be a 5.1 Setup with Monitor Audio Bronze series speakers, but space constraints meant that the 5.1 surround was not satisfying enough, so i downgraded to a 2.1 setup with better main speakers and kept the oversized subwoofer.
I do want to upgrade the amplifier, while it does amplify the Zensors correctly, i would prefer an integrated amp instead of the receiver, the only way i use the HDMI ins and outs on it are for the TV ARC audio, this TV is newer which means that passing HDMI signals through the receiver before the TV can cause some handshake issues, so i just avoid using it anyway.
HEOS, however, is a decent streaming system and i use it all the time, it worked specially well with Apple Airplay when i had an iPhone.

6 Likes

That would be one hell of a center!

I do have a pair of Monitor 7’s that I was going to use 1 of them for a center, but was already told too big and no go.

That is a very interesting room size. Nice setup and way to use that space!

1 Like

Thanks mate!
The size is so peculiar because this used to be a second corridor back when my house was divided in two parts.

Once you start diagramming and lining things up with a tape measure that’s when it gets serious, nice setup

1 Like

Ah makes total sense now.ove the brick background.

1 Like

Thanks! Fortunately I work with Autocad all day so I have the resources to make my life a bit easier.

1 Like

And they’re real bricks too, around 100 years old or so, that i picked up from a collapsed old building lol.

3 Likes

Stand up and :clap:

2 Likes

Replying to my link with last year’s theater design. I’ve made a semi-major enhancement late last year / early this year:

The core layout is the same, but I picked up a Holo Audio May KTE DAC last fall, and it was too nice not to use with my 2-channel setup. It’s also too nice not to use with my Susvaras and whatnot. The obvious solution: migrate my reference headamp chains to the theater stack!

You’d never know it, but my HDMI matrix is hanging underneath the headphone amps here. I cobbled together a hanging shelf from found parts and suspended the matrix switch underneath the main shelf, then piled headphone gear on top. The matrix switch has a web control, so I really don’t need to physically access it for anything aside from changing inputs and outputs (which is actually why there’s a weird-looking red and black cable in this image–I had temporarily hooked up an XBox 360 when I took this photo).

Pictured here: I moved my Violectric V280 next to my Stax SRM-727ii energizer. Both have narrow-but-deep chassis, which work much better on my audio rack than on my desk. On top of the V280 is a Goldpoint stepped attenuator connected to the 2 spare channels of my McIntosh 8207 amp. I run Susvara directly off the speaker taps for the ultimate SS chain. Thanks to a custom-sized riser from Etsy, my Pendant sits on top.

On the top-right stack, I have a custom 4x4 XLR switch by Mapletree Audio. I kept my old reference DAC–an Ayre QB9-DSD–so now both it and the May are selectable inputs for the Mapletree switch. The Ayre is driven by a Mac Mini, and I’m using a Pi for the May. I tied both endpoints together in Roon so that I can A-B anything I play by selecting the DAC input on the Mapletree switch.

One other nice bit of synergy: the V280 has an internal switch that allows me to use the RCA connectors on the back as outputs; the XLR inputs are actively transformed to SE, which then feeds the Pendant. That means that anything I listen to on tubes is also playing on V280, so I can easily A-B SS vs tubes.

The only thing really missing at this point is a turntable, and I’ve essentially cleared a space for one on the top left stack. That will plug into the (McIntosh C2600) tube pre-amp. I’ll feed that to a 3rd input of the Mapletree switch so that I can enjoy vinyl and whatnot on headphones. And that will still leave me one free input and one free output to experiment with different sources or amps.

9 Likes

3 screens is some movie, sports and game heaven!

1 Like

Fronts: KEF Q550’s
Atmos: KEF Q50a’s
Centre: KEF Q650
Sub: Rythmik E15HP2

Rears are some random Monoprice 6.5 inch things with ribbon tweeters I picked up from a hotel before we started demolition at the site.
Those lights are purposefully pointed into the top corners as they’re hue bulbs, and there’s a light rope behind the setup as well, because ambiance.

Doing what I can in my little rental for now, and won’t change anything till I find new digs. Then I’ll probably pick up some Q350’s for rears when I get the chance, additional Q50a’s to top them, and shift those monoprice to be side channels.
Will need to upgrade that Yamaha RX-V583 to something that can handle 7.1.4 at that point too.

6 Likes

That center is :fire:

2 Likes

It’s insane… I replaced an old Klipsch centre (now with a parent).
TBH I probably need to swap out the Q550’s for Q750’s or the Q950’s to keep up with it.

Size comparison below:

5 Likes

Ok, a very poor pic and a messy room but you should hear it in action. I went a long way around because of my goofy hang ups and lack of disposable income but I have something that does pretty well with music and movies. This set up gets a bit complicated so I’ll try to explain it clearly.

This is a 4.0.0 setup that has two paths, one for music and one for movies/shows. I also run an online radio show from this system and there are concessions made for that as well.

Sources are an NAD 533 turntable(Rega Clone)feeding a Schiit mani phonostage, a Mac Mini, an Apple TV and an aging Sony Blu-ray player.

The Apple TV, Mac Mini, and Blu-ray output HDMI to a Marantz SR5005 that is doing processing only(one of the rear channels went out when the cats dropped a shelf full of skulls on my equipment shelves and I have a tube amp for the mains.) The Mini also sends usb to a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. The Blu-ray player also sends s/pdif to the Scarlett for CD playback. The turntable set up also sends an analog signal to the Scarlett.

Ok, here’s where things start getting screwy. I have a Reisong YULU M2 tube amp for the mains. It has two inputs and a volume control. I keep the volume turned up since I control it elsewhere in the signal chain. One input is fed from the Marantz receiver. The other input is fed from a Schiit Magni 2Uber which gets signals from a SYS passive switcher. This lets me switch between a straight feed from the turntable or digital from the Mini, Blu-ray, or digitized vinyl from the Scarlett. The Magni or the Marantz handle volume depending if I’m doing video or music.

My front left and right are Tekton Mini Lores. 95db sensitive and in a small 10’ x 12’(ish)room, these guys can rock loud and controlled with just the 8 little watts the M2 puts out. The surrounds are some tiny PSB Alpha Intros I got from eBay along with the Marantz. The are powered from a little Sure T-amp just sitting out bare. I’ve never made a case for it.

The monitor is some 55” Samsung that my wife legit won at an office Christmas party :rofl:. It’s a weak link but I’m more focused on audio than video as I think y’all could tell. I would like to do a projector at some point but right now the convenience of this set up has me happy. I do throw a blanket and towel over the screen to help with sound reflection when really digging the tunes. It helps some.

The cables are what I had laying around along with some diy ones. I use Shure SHR440s with the Magni 2 for private listening, and most everything is sitting on IKEA furniture(including me on a futon)bought on my honeymoon 13 years ago.

Room treatments are up next and maybe a diy tube buffer pre to cut out some of clutter. It would have switchable outputs(for speaker or Hp listening)at least three line ins and an ht bypass for the receiver. We’ll see how long that will take me to do.

I’ll clean the place up and take some better pics if anyone is really interested but it really wasn’t planned for looks. We have a decent living room set up downstairs that is much nicer to look at(true 5.1 also)but not as nice to listen to IMO. This is my personal escape room, where I escape too.

Thanks for giving me a place to talk about my Frankensystem.

6 Likes

That photo is giving me Clockwork Orange vibes. Looks like a cozy setup!