Should i get isolation pads?

This is a question that lingers on my mind, since i had my older speakers.
I was told a long time ago, by a musician acquaintance, that i should place my speakers over isolation pads, if possible angled ones “to direct the tweeter higher, and aim at my ears”, which i was never able to test if it makes a difference or not.
Sometimes the vibration on the table caused by the speakers does bother me a bit, would the isolation pads fix this issue?

Here’s my table, for reference:

My speakers: https://aataudio.com.br/caixas-acusticas/rakt-bsf-100/
And the isolation pads i was told i should get: https://aliexpress.com/item/32820437047.html

Short answer - yes, get some kind of foam under these.
Slightly angled to your listening position is a good idea aswell.

1 Like

I usually keep them in the position they are now, that angle really helps.

If money’s too tight to mention, you don’t even have to buy anything. Some dense shipping foam that a lot of components or computers ship in is all you need as long as it’s able to sustain the weight of the speakers without collapsing.

I’d also say the height is more important than the angle if you can aim for your ear to be between the tweeter and the woofer.

2 Likes

Those Alctrons i linked fit my pockets with ease, but now you made me wonder if they will support my speakers (~8kg each), i gotta research that.

Hmm, i’m gonna have to measure that, but its possible i’d have to use something like this, which doesn’t fit my pockets:

Yeah, that’s what I purchased. They’ve been worth it, even if you have to save up for them a while. But like I said, you can go the cheap route. Even a couple of yoga blocks.

They should.

2 Likes

There are also this type of desk stands. Different looks, specs and adjustments so on.

Example unit: Gravity SP 3102. Plenty of adjusments, also the price ain’t that bad.

• Powder coated steel construction
  • Continuously height adjustable (without fixed increments) from 263 to 358 mm
  • Inclination angle up to +/- 15°
  • Rotates 360°
  • With anti-tilt protection for the speaker
  • Support surface. 240 x 250 mm
  • EVA padded
  • Base edge length: 250 mm
  • Maximum load-bearing capacity: 25 kg
  • Weight: 4.1 kg
1 Like

That’s a good idea as well, i gotta see if i can find something similar around here (Brazil).

1 Like

I would consider upgrading to stands in the future if I were you. If you don’t have the money right now, save some and buy them later. You can angle your speakers, but tweeters will still be lower than your ears.

There are plenty of options for stands, some are cheaper and a bit janky, some more expensive and also more aesthetic. I recently ordered Soundrise Pros, but Ionforges seem nice + they have free international shipping.

1 Like

im going to go against the bandwagon and say no. do u have tweeter issues? that is the only reason u need them in a desktop setup. and u dont need them. 2 pieces of anything softish put under the front of your speakers will angle them.

u dont need isolation on a desktop setup because you will never notice the difference. either you will be at your desk, and wont be able to crank it up loud enough for it to matter. or you will be cranking it up while not at your desk for room filling effect and will not notice the possible minor vibration rattles.

1 Like

Yep, good suggestions allround.

Definitely direct the tweeter to your ear too.

You can also just try using a stack of books to raise the speakers to your head height (tweeters in-line with your ears) and the books will also act as rough, free isolation. This will give you a very quick and free way to check how things will sound and you can decide on buying something fancy after that.

Really anything dense will work.

Mass & Density is the best thing to absorb extra energy

1 Like

I stuck these under my Neumis:

They fit the enclosures perfectly and puts them up 2 inches, just right for me. They took nearly all the vibration away from my desk. Changed the sound slightly as well. Bass is not rumbly now, it’s more focused and precise if that makes sense. I really like them. I may try stands in the future to see what the differences are if any.