SHP9500's broke on me. What is the best replacement?

I have several headphones but none of them compared to my 9500s for gaming. After a pad mod and placing some felt in the mesh cups they are perfect for long sessions of some intense head clicking. The 3.5mm port was damaged and it only produces sound out of the left channel. Phillips in there infinite wisdom molded the plastic to the port making them unrepairable. So I am left with a choice. Either I can replace them with a new pair or upgrade. My budget is $300USD or less. Please assist me with this conundrum.

Edit: I have a Schiit Hel and Ifi Zen Stack so powering HPs would be no issue.

I wonder if anybody has given Hifiman 5xx a try for gaming. Some common sound signature, fit and plus spatial sound signature feels like it could be good.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into those. My fear is that they might be a little warmer on my ears for long gaming use.

They’re light and loose with rather large cups and ear openings.
Fit is a tricky thing to predict though.

1 Like

A couple thoughts:

Hifiman HE400SE Stealth Magnets ($150)
Hifman Sundara open box would be just under your budget with current promos ($299 plus 15 off coupon)
Beyerdynamic Tygr if they come back in stock…

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I have been eyeballing the Sundara for a while now. I have Aeon Open X that are my endgame for planars so I never bought them. It might be time to pull the trigger on a pair. I love my DT770 and wanted another Beyer for gaming. I gave up on the Tygr and bought the 9500s because I could never catch them in stock.

Another or a new pair of SHP9500. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suffer from the same affliction as most audiophiles… the hunger for upgrades. If there is better, I need to hear it :sweat_smile:

Hey, the SHP9500s like new on Amazon are under 50. That gets you back up and running and leaves you 250 to look at upgrades.

2 Likes

And lodge a complaint with Philips (or whoever makes these headphones under the Philips brand). If enough people complain they may at least consider making them more easy to repair.

1 Like

I agree with this thought process. I would recommend the Senn 560s or the Sundara in your price range. I’ve seen the 560s used as low as $120.

1 Like

I did this. Only because I have the earcup and boom mic. I’ll take my remaining money and buy a pair of Sundaras in a couple of months.

2 Likes

Done and done. I am all for the right to repair.