Small bookshelf advice for Electronic Music

Order Kali’s with a good return policy, try them and see if you hate them, I’ll wait

Wish I could, they are 3 inches too big to fit the space.

crap sorry didn’t see the measurements, what about laying them on their sides? i would hate to suggest anything smaller than a 6.5 cone…Mackies are 12.9 but again if its going under the bed, lay em down

Hmmm, that’s an interesting idea! Guess I never really considered laying the speakers on their sides because it would ruin a good thing but given they are under the bed I’m doing that already anyway! I agree, 6.5s would be more fun. What would you recommend for connecting them to my Chromecast Audio?

1 Like

@Colin_Pastuch Ya man since ur not really worried about dispersion or stereo image, i would absolutely put them on their sides, and you would still have room to put them on some kind of platform or even a small carpet remnants if ur on hard wood to not scuff them, maybe even blu tac so they stay in place

as to how to hook them up…

Not sure I understand how that cable would work (looking at the back of the speakers)? I read the Kali LP-6 has an unbalanced RCA out, couldn’t I just plug the Chromecast audio into that?

1 Like

ya you’ll just need a splitter cable, this is just a balanced example, youll need to split for stereo (one to each speaker)

The cable you suggested is perfect because the left and right sections of the cable can be separated all the way down to the 3.5mm connector, I guess this is required to move the speakers a few feet apart right? I just read about the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables, heard the balanced could reduce hiss a bit so I’ll definitely go that way. Found the LP-6 in white for $230 Canadian each with free shipping and 30 day return window.

1 Like

yes you want it splitable and just get whatever length you need… hell ya man i love mine in my living room and they have plenty of sound adjustments on the back, be sure to report back once you get them…

Ordered both, will report back asap.

1 Like

Yessss hope it works out

Good advice regarding the treble on the Tuks, I had to lower it 2 notches and the bass 3 notches due to placement. While they worked I was really impressed with the sound. I’ve never heard a tweeter like that before and the bass was prodigious! I also think they are absolutely beautiful, even better than the photos. I was heartbroken when they died. I keep my audio gear for a long time so it gives me trust issues when a speaker from a brand I’ve never used before dies in less than 10 hours.

1 Like

That’s not very confidence inspiring. Sorry for a bad first impression - not the kind of experience we’d want our customers to go through. Electronics fail sometimes and it’s always disheartening when it happens to you. The very first fiiO product I bought failed in the first two weeks I had it. I ended up switching to a different brand because of it, so I fully understand if you are looking at other options. I’m confident if you got another TUK you wouldn’t encounter the same issue as it’s proving to be a fairly reliable speaker with about 10 months of sales data to track. Hope that you give us another shot!

2 Likes

LP-6 initial impressions: So far, it’s a good experience. The Kalis sound is very flat and I really like the tweeter, not fatiguing at all. The tweeter on the tuks was a lot more revealing and sparkly but also slightly more fatiguing. I was shocked to find that the Kalis can’t even come close to the volume limits of the Kanto Tuks and the bass just isn’t comparable. The aluminum bass driver on the Tuks is insane, you 100% do not need a sub for those speakers. I also really miss the tone controls of the Tuks because of the bad placement location. I’m still experimenting with the dip switches (which are cool). That being said, I think at 100% volume with the +6db nob at max it’s just enough to muffle my girlfriends screams (of pleasure… don’t get it twisted). My neighbors hate me.

2 Likes

Let’s just agree to disagree on that one. :smiley:
Unless ~3db at 20hz is coming out, i would agree.

1 Like

Hahaha well as long as those screams are covered ur good, so…I would definitely play around with the dip switches, again being sold as studio monitors they might not be as fun so to speak. Imo if bass is solely you need I would go KRK in that same form factor, at least the 7 inch, but seriously play with the switches, free standing should give the most bass, but ur placement is pretty unique

Fair enough… I should have said, for most people in most situations.