Small footprint Speaker amp with Headphone out?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a speaker amp with a headphone out as what the title says but with a smaller footprint (desktop setup). The SMSL AD18 would be perfect but I’m leaning towards having a dac/amp stack if possible.

• Source
PC: Music, Movies, Gaming

• Hardware I’ll be purchasing
Headphones: Sennheiser HD660s (purchasing at a later time)
Speakers: Triangle BR03

• Preference

1. Stack with a Dac if possible
  2. Support switching between headphones or speakers without having to physically unplug cables
  3. Elegant volume control (remote would be nice but a priority) that can live on a desk and not take up a large amount of space - the ideal would be if the same unit could control both the output selector (headphones/ speakers) and volume
  4. Bluetooth but not a priority.

Budget wise, it’s not big. Around 300 - 500 USD or less for both AMP and DAC stack or the AMP/Dac like the AD18. The SMSL DA-8 would have been perfect paired with a DAC but that doesn’t have a headphone out :frowning: . Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you want separates or an all-in-one?

Seems to be a good integrated that falls within your budget.

1 Like

Depends but ultimately something that can power my Triangle BR03s and still can use a headphone out. The DX3 should be not be it I guess?

Reason for the preference is that I just did not want to have multiple boxes (2 is fine) or one big box laying around my desk…

XDDDD Wow… I would call that a decent sized budget

That’s for both Dac and amp or an all in one.

SMSL has some options, you could do a whole stack for that budget.

All three on on Drop periodically which would save more money. I picked up the SU-8 DAC for 180$ two drops ago.

1 Like

I believe the SU-8 and DA-8S are both on Apos, who will match Drop’s prices

The DA-8s would be perfect but no heaphone out up front which is a bummer :frowning:. Thanks for these.

So, because of the bid system this may well climb over 500USD, but just in case…

This one would actually do it but way above my budget if I consider shipping and a new unit since this one does not ship to my place. I’ll try to watch out if I can get this from a local shop near to me.

Not the smallest but?..

Yes this and the topping MX3, looking for anything similar that’s recent but I have this on my list rn along with the other suggestions.

Denon PMA-600ne is a common rec for integrated, though not as small of a footprint. I used an MX3 for a little over a year and thought it did a good job driving some old Realistic MC-1200 speakers. Found a sound comparison video between the Denon and MX3 driving a couple different speakers where it was pretty tough to hear any significant differences.