Small town internet problems

I really need to find something better. Here it’s 50/50 at best that Amazon Music won’t be buffering more than playing. It’s also 50/50 at best that Amazon Video will be pixelled or clear enough to watch.

What pisses me off even more is I take the time to download movies & music in HD, so I don’t have to deal with crap internet with on demand streaming. For some reason Amazon Music downloads the internet interruptions, as if I’m listening to on demand streaming. WTF?

50MB up and down isn’t the best but it’s far from bad.

you want real small town internet problems? live where I am…the fiber line that serves our remote communities has been sliced damaged 3x this year and when that happens we lose everything. internet, mobile and even landlines. everything is tied into the internet backbone now, no more tower to tower transmission or copper cable phone superiority.

edit - oh…and the beaver mafia were the cause of the first two. chewing down trees that took down the fiber trunks.

2 Likes

The population here is 688 as of 2020 census.

Somebody has gotta do beaver genocide right now to stop the mafia. Those cringey beavers keep making places look treelessly crappy with fiber damage sometimes.

1 Like

well, that is small…and a lot smaller than where I am. but where I am is remote…9 hour drive to the largest city center, otherwise it’s just a few more places the size we are or smaller.

Those cringey beavers keep making places look treelessly crappy with fiber damage sometimes.

Perhaps you would be a perfect candidate for a DAP as a source along with physical media?

How do you get HD content on a DAP when you have small town internet problems?

Have you got a decent mobile phone signal in this small town?

I don’t have the data for that, but I could upgrade, but then if I did that I wouldn’t need a DAP really.

Here in the uk we live aboard a continually cruising barge with no home moorings, for the last 7 years we’ve been using a wireless router for our internet needs. We have an unlimited data SIM card in it which costs about £20 a month the data is shareable with my phone, it’s good enough to stream Amazon/Netflix HD movies via a fire stick for the tv (don’t watch regular tv) Amazon HD music for my DAP, MacBook Pro and Sonos surround sound and other Wi-Fi duties. So like I said if your Mobile Phone signal is good there are plenty of sites to test that it might be worth looking into :man_shrugging:t2:

50 / 50 isn’t slow. sure, it’s not the fastest, but it’s far from slow. buuut, in answer to your question, you’d have to populate the DAP with songs over time. eventually you’d have a nice collection to sort through when your internet goes down.

Have you looked into satellite internet. To get a hood fast service can be a bit pricey, but I use it at my ranch and it runs netflix and Qobuz in hi-res without a problem the vast majority of the time. The uplink capabilities have vastly improved over the last 10 years or so to where bad weather, clouds, and all that jazz no longer really effects it. I mean, I had no problems streaming in hi-res during a blizzard that dropped 8ft of snow last winter. It might do you better than your local provider. Just something to look into if you want.

Yeah my brother inlaw has that Elon Musk internet thing, whatever it’s called. He signed up for it long before it existed. He says it needs more satalites to fill in gaps where bandwidth drops a bit, but it works great otherwise. 4K video will get a bit pixelled in the satalite gap.

Yeah, Starlink (Musk’s company) has limited availability and they haven’t completed their satellite constellation yet. It seems like they have great potential as they continue to build though. I have Viasat which I got at the recommendation of a neighbor (almost 4 miles away lol, my kinda neighbor). It is solid, doesn’t have any noticeable coverage gaps at my ranch and maintains high speeds. It’s definitely a bit pricey, especially when compared to what I pay at my regular house in SoCal, but my ranch is remote and satellite is really the only option for reliable high speed internet up there.

When I first got satellite back in the day from a different provider it was extremely spotty and rarely fast enough for video streaming for instance. It also had coverage gaps where it was just plain inaccessible for about 4-6 hours each day. It has rapidly improved since then to the point that it gives me high speed functionality in all but the mist extreme circumstances.

I am keeping my eye on Starlink though. Their top shelf plans advertise some pretty crazy speeds and if they get their reliability and connection issues shored up a bit, I’m thinking I’ll give it a whirl. They offer a free trial period for folks that are Viasat customers in my area from what I hear.

1 Like

Amazon/Netflix HD movies via a fire stick for the tv (don’t watch regular tv) Amazon HD music for my DAP, MacBook Pro and Sonos surround sound and other Wi-Fi duties. So like I said if your Mobile Phone signal is good there are plenty of sites to test that it might be worth looking into :man_shrugging:t2:

Those cringey beavers keep making places look treelessly crappy with fiber damage sometimes.

1 Like

I’ve since gotten T Mobile home internet having noticed that my T Mobile cell service is typically very good everywhere I go. It’s working just fine. No complaints. All of my music & movies are streaming, including UHD music & 4K movies.

1 Like