SMSL DO200 MKII (significant difference from SMSL DO200 ?)

I just ordered the SMSL DO200 MKII. It seems to be a new revision of the SMSL DO200. It should arrive in a month or so.

In the meantime, does anyone know anything else about this DAC?

I could only find 1 review in english of the MKII and it didn’t really elaborate much on what might have changed.
Here is the review I found for the MKII: S.M.S.L DO200 MKⅡ: High-end MQA Full Decoding Bluetooth Audio Decoder - audio-sound @ hatena

Zeos reviewed the version that came right before this, it looks like they are basically the same with a few changes, this new version combined the firmware update option into the standard USB connector, and it looks like they put a slightly fancier screen into the MKII.

Not sure what else they may have changed, I did spend some time going over the details between the two, but could not determine any other changes. Although the newer version is also slightly less expensive? Not sure what might have changed there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFHD1RF4/?&linkCode=sl2&tag=zeoskit-20&linkId=eac7974205355fe55d68843013fc0c80&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
(went ahead and attached the zeos reference link with this one so he could get credit for the order)

I will update this first post with my personal experience with this unit once it arrives, but I would love to hear any thoughts on this DAC.

The SMSL DO200 MK II arrived today. I hooked it up using balanced XLR into my Topping A90D, and from the SMSL through an Optical cable into my PC.

It was very nice for about 4 hours, and then the SMSL DO200 MKII stopped working entirely =/

I tested out my other hardware thinking something else might be the problem, but everything else in my system still works great. So the problem is definitely isolated to the SMSL DO200, I tried testing it with my other hardware several times, but all it does now is make a clicking noise when I switch modes on the DAC, but it will not translate or output any other sound.

Unfortunately this means I will likely have to process a return and get another one… I have contacted the company to work it out.

I can confirm that the DO200 MKII is pretty much exactly the same as the first version, the only difference seems to be what I noted earlier in my first post.

Other than just suddenly dying, the unit was pretty nice. I am sad I have to return it.

(Picture included for reference of how I had it hooked up)

(Forgive the poor picture, i also broke the lens on my camera today. Murphy is working overtime it seems)

I contacted the company I purchased it from through amazon, it appears they are telling me to wait while they contact the smsl factory, seems a bit strange, but i will give them a few days. If I have not heard anything back by monday, I will contact amazon and arrange for a normal return and get a refund instead.

A refund has been arranged, the DO200 is heading back to amazon, and the 500$ (roughly) back into my wallet.

I have decided I am dissatisfied with SMSL due to this experience. It is likely I was just unlucky - anyone can get a bad unit from time to time. But the saying “Once bitten, Twice shy” applies here.

The warranty on the DO200 DAC (and all SMSL products) is not encouraging, and from what i’ve gathered around the net, SMSL is not the most reliable when it comes to their products manufacturing quality.

• I have decided to look for a DAC solution made outside of China, likely it will cost a good bit more, but I suspect I have found a good solution.

I am now looking at the RME ADI-2, because it offers a much broader feature set, is made in Germany (can’t question the German precision and commitment to quality), and the warranty is much stronger on that unit. It appears to have a no-questions-asked 2 year warranty, and they cover shipping both ways if you want to return or need service. Certainly more expensive, but I am also returning another piece of audio equipment I recently acquired which I do not need, so that should cover the difference.

The forum thread here also assisted me on making this choice, Thanks to the community for putting up this thread.

Also the RME ADI-2 does not have MQA Huzzah! Get Stuffed MQA!! Bwahaha!
(hmmm… i think my elation may have gotten away from me there for a moment. Still it’s a good thing. MQA sucks.)

2 Likes

much cheaper from them then anyone else. they are german selling german products =)

1 Like

It’s a good DAC but imo only worth it if you use most of it’s features, for me it would be overkill because I would set it up once and hope I’ll never have to touch it Main reason I can’t EQ :laughing:

1 Like

I am ordering it specifically because of the extra options - there are so many dacs and amps out there, but very few offer the EQ and tweaking features that I feel should be standard with audio products. What started all this was a search for a dedicated DAC that also had extensive EQ abilities, then I happened across the ADI-2 DAC and it filled all my needs in one unit.

I’ll definitely be tweaking things quite a bit! I am confused that so few DAC’s offer these sorts of features.

The price is good, thanks! But - I am reading stories that they do not include the proper power adapters for countries outside of the EU?
Even though the website appears to be designed to service America - I have seen several reports that they ship products with the wrong adapters - do you have any experience with this at all?

I do like supporting German companies, I have some German heritage, and am proud of it. I’m a bit of a mutt, but i’m proud of them all. No sense being ashamed of things you can’t control, better to decide to be proud of the good things =) - And for my german side that means being a strong stubborn people who build things with precision and strength. (having strong opinions - stubbornness - can be a very good thing, less waffling, more doing.) Also I seem to have inherited enjoyment of Sauerkraut [ˈzaʊɐˌkʁaʊt]. and Sauerbraten - so tasty!

I understand that many people don’t enjoy Sauerkraut, but anyone who doesn’t enjoy a well cooked Sauerbraten has something wrong with them.

Vegetarians don’t exist! They are just confused figments of our collective imagination. :wink:

i do not, sorry. even if it doesnt, its cheap enough compared to anyone else to buy your own and still save a ton of money.

the stock power adapter for the US is 70$ from rme direct. 970$ total still cheaper then anywhere else. and you can find generic ones for 25$.

1 Like

No worries! It turns out the RME ADI-2 DAC ships with a power supply that can switch between various countries automatically, all that is required is a replacement power cable to plug into the supply.

I found a replacement cable on BHPhoto for 11 dollars (+$3.99 shipping)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/517363-REG/RME_NETZ_CB_NETZ_CB_Replacement_Power_Cable.html

The power supply can also be purchased there, but the one included with the unit should work fine with the proper plug attached.

(link to a replacement power supply)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1288513-REG/rme_nt_rme_2_2a_power_supply_for.html

2 Likes

awesome! and good to know!

1 Like