đź”· SMSL M200

This is the official thread for the SMSL M200

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• USB, Coax, Toslink, BT 5.0 in up to LDAC, XLR & RCA out
  • AK4497EQ, XMOS, 32/768
  • Filters, Remote

:red_circle: Apos Audio Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews…

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this… Beyond the slant and the blue display, it looks good. However, I feel like the design of this kinda makes it just fit with the SP200

That is the exact target market most likely lol

1 Like

True, though the downside is that it really doesnt fit with much if anything else. Aesthetically speaking.

Apparently, even if it’s only one DAC, not dual mono, and not “true balanced”, the M200 doubles the soundstage width.

Not enough for a 3D experience (no added depth), but “2.5D”, as he said. Interesting.

Hey all! I have just taken delivery of the M200 DAC and now have the complete M200/SP200 stack. So, very early days for me having less than 24 hours on the completed stack, but Holy Shit. I think I said that a couple times in the “What did you buy today” thread, but Holy Shit! Coming from the Topping MX-3 this is a HUGE advance. And I feel like it’s going to get even better over time.

The first thing that struck me when I first put it online was how much wider and deeper the sound stage is. Also, the detail that I am able to hear, given how bad my hearing is, is a revelation to me. I can play familiar CDs and it’s like hearing them anew - I can hear things that I have either never heard before or have forgotten about. I feel like now I have a legitimate head phone rig that should last me a good while. I’m extremely happy with this stack.

I was going to link to Sandu’s written review, but @LeDechaine already has the video posted, so I will not. I can only say that I feel Sandu is spot on in his observations as this is exactly what I am experiencing thus far. For the price, this little stack is hard to beat for us audio fans on a budget. Cheers!

1 Like

Just wanted to post an update now that I have had some decent time to enjoy this surprising DAC. I’m even more impressed with it now than I was was at first. This unit has aged nicely and has matured. I have been putting a few late night sessions on lately with the other laptop and the Beats phones with B&O EQ. Don’t laugh, that combo does really well!

But then I jumped on the M200 / SP200 stack today and, well… Holy Shit! I’m streaming AMHD right now, and it’s fantastic. I really enjoy the AKM chip and how this DAC resolves and images into these Sundara’s. Of course, the SP200 is so clean that what you are hearing is what the M200 is giving you. I have been playing with the few options that the M200 has, and they do make a difference in the final product. It’s wild how the sound field sounds like it’s well beyond the physical realm of the phones. And it’s so clean. With great Bass. Remarkable.

I still can’t decide if I prefer the AKM chip over the EOS chips like the ones that is n the SU-8. So far I am still leaning towards the S-8, but stay tuned! Either way, this M200 rocks. I’m very happy with it.

1 Like

Annnnnd… here we are a year plus later. I am still enjoying the hell out of this DAC. As you may recall, it has been redeployed to the bedroom system, where I have been using my trusty V40 as a streamer, connecting to the M200 over BT/LDAC. It’s been doing a fine job, streaming at 24/96. Having your device right there in your hands is super convenient, but the stream wasn’t quite getting it. I knew I could do better.

So, I got an Audioquest forest USB cable, and brought out the Wyred 4 Sound USB re-clocker that I used on the desktop system before I got the U2 Pro. Oh my Gawd! :star_struck: I was kinda stunned. The minute everything locked on a big 192 came up in the display, and this M200 took itself to a whole new level. I mean, a stunning improvement over the BT connection. I’m hearing things that this AKM chip is doing that I am enjoying very much. And the way it’s pairing with the AVR-2800 - Wonderful. Only problem is - now the device is not mobile anymore. It’s like the old days of having to get up to change the damned channel! What to do? Enter the media remote!

This little guy pairs with the V40 and now I can control the Amazon player with it. Fantastic! This Frankenstein bedroom system is now fully legit. And the M200 is running the show. I’m actually running the Sundara full time in there now.