SMSL SU-8S (SU-8 Successor)

Ah got it, thanks for clarifying! I’m pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the SU-8 and see how it goes.

Yeah, I have to admit I was very curious about the 789 hype and I have a tendency to keep trying different brands… I’m concerned about buyer’s remorse but only time will tell. Thanks again!

So the modi has some dynamic compression, along with a forward and peaky sound sig. The higher end dacs like your Gumby don’t really have these issues

It’s done, fingers crossed that my ears can tell the difference!

1 Like

Well hope you enjoy it, it’s a decent step up imo :+1:

1 Like

The Modi is a piece of Schiit gear I’ve never actually heard.
I have a Magni 3 somewhere, though I only ever used it without an external DAC.
I’ve written enough signal processing software over the years that I do know what compression is and how it sounds, it just isn’t what I hear from the Jot.
Clearly it’s something your also familiar with from studio work.
I just struggle with exactly what’s being described.
The Jot is an amp that needs to be run Balanced on it’s output (input is irrelevant), because the summing circuit is audible.
It has somewhat emphasized treble detail which I think is where the criticism is coming from, and isn’t my favorite aspect, but outside of that I just find it to be relatively neutral and “effortless”, I prefer it over the THX stuff largely because I think it delivers mids better. And the fact it can deliver a shit ton of current a nice to have for driving hard to drive headphones.

I’ve been spending more time with the CTH recently, and I’m tempted to pick up a liquid platinum (which I guess is based on the old Liquid Crimson), and I really want to see how the Liquid Gold X is received in a month or so (though I do wish they hadn’t shoved a DAC in it.

1 Like

The jot is not my favorite in that price range, and while it has some compression, it’s not as big of an offender as the modi or magni (excluding the heresy and 3+). The jot can be a good choice if you enjoy the sound

I’m not sure it would be the first Amp I’d recommend either FWIW.

1 Like

Anyone have an update on this?

unclear what you want an update on.

The release of the su-8 successor

I need a new DAC and I don’t want to buy one untill I see what this can do and cost. So I am also waiting for more news.

From what I gather - mostly from the Audio Science Review forum - the SU-8S was just the working title for what is now the SU-9 (the black one below).

Shenzhenaudio teased a photo of it (or at least how it used to look) back in October when it still was called the SU-8S (the white one)

what’s been confirmed is that it was already in production in January, but because of the coronavirus, it’s now expected in May.
The prototype was shown at the GZHE show in December, and on this particular thing there’s some conflicting info, but I think the SU-8S was supposed to have the ES9038Pro chip (that had been confirmed on the forum by one of the engineers), but in the meantime somebody said the SU-9 would have the AKM4490. In any case, it’s been confirmed that the SU-9 will be more expensive than the SU-8

4 Likes

delayed by the Corona virus eh? so what you’re saying is this will be some sick audio? ROFLMAO!!!

7 Likes

Just heard about this, may is drawing near…

Would be nice if they offered a trade in for the people who bought the SU8. like me! :laughing:

1 Like

I have been looking for a Dac since December and won’t buy one untill this is out and some reviews have been published. The SU-9, the Queststyle CMA400i and the RME ADI-2 are my current runner-ups; I like the balanced output of the first 2 and the RME is just tempting.

But I need the SU-9 to get on the market :grimacing:

Speaking of SMSL DACs, M400 to be released next month.

2 Likes

It will be nice to see a comparisson review between the SU-9 and the M400 :yum:

Those are big difference in price. The Queststyle is 700$ and RME are 800$ The SU9 will probably be 250$

I know, I am not focused on a partucular price point, but more what is a great amp or Dac and a good deal. And a good deal can be at various price points.
Like the RNHP is said to punch above its price, I guess the SU-9 will too, if it is as good as the SU-8 when that was released.

1 Like