So...USB cables

Pretty sure most streaming services (VoIP, IPTV, nearly all computer games) just drop faulty packages.

Honestly, cable talk on this forum never stays on subject for more than 2 days.

Can I use the AES BNC output to connect to the Coax input on my DAC or should I just use the SPDIF Coax output?

Yes most streaming video services will choose what they correct.
Most audio streaming protocols, airplay, DLNA, RAAT are going to correct errors, because they are designed to run on reliable networks.
In terms of audio streaming services, I know Amazon and Qobuz and I’d expect all the others to use reliable protocols with a large buffer, latency isn’t critical, and you need the data intact.

Games do what they have to, TCP/IP doesn’t make sense for latency sensitive communication over the internet, the way the early Online Madden games worked was utterly insane, and they relied on correcting what was sent, usually by sending it more than once to reduce the chance of an error. Most modern network games aren’t really streaming in any useful sense of the word, they are using a combination of projection and just correcting errors when they get data.

I also looked at the Raspberry pi.
The idea is great and everything.
Nir what keeps me away is just the supposed power supply it has and is supposed to undo the whole thing.
If you dig a little deeper on the net, you’ll find a bit about it.
And honestly, if I have to spend money on a better power supply again, I’m not going to buy it.
Then I can just go for an audio interface from Singxer or Matrix Audio.
And I can be sure that everything is clean.
The 20-30$/€ would then no longer matter to me.

I would have the possibility to connect I2S and will think about it again, but I still have some doubts whether it really brings something.

AFAIK Airplay relies on RTP for data transport. RTP is stacked on top of UDP, so no error correction.

DLNA is a mess on all fronts. If the “certification” reflects the software side of it, I would guess it just relies on hope & prayers.

Streaming is sending data that is not written to disk, so it is streaming.

That is what I find so funny about this “cheap does it”-trend. A good power supply costs a bit. So, yeah you saved yourself from the evil USB clock jitter (which should be a non-issue to begin with) but now have the cheapest 5V PSU china could make in your chain.

1 Like

I read book not video of someone.

A method for check the consistency of a data is send it more than ones and compare it so this is a common way for check the consistency of a data transmission.

The digital signal and the digital world in general works with a boolean logic. Now I simplify guys but I always advice to read books or find reliable sources no video of someone. Example you send a message to your friend and this message is “A” you can get 2 results your friend receive your message “A” or your friend receive nothing. In no cases your friend will receive the message “B”

With the PI2AES you use a different PSU - not the 5V el crappo that comes with RasPi. You can either buy the SMPS from the PI2AES site or find a LPS.

If we’re talking about the message being one letter (“A”) then yes there are two possible outcomes. “A” or nothing. But what if the message is the previous sentence and we dropped all the "a"s? It looks like this:

If we’re tlking bout the messge being one letter (“”) then yes there re two possible outcomes.

Now read the original and compare it to the one without "a"s. Did your friend receive message “A” (the original sentence) or nothing? Neither. He received “B” - a message that isn’t the original.

You have to minimally run a 19V PSU for the pi2AES, at least to run SPDIF or AES, the cheapest option is the meanwell 24V PSU they sell on their site.
I recently upgraded mine and it does make a difference, but it’s a good device even with the Meanwell option.
The pi2AES really isn’t the “cheap” option that video makes it out to be, but it is very good for the price, a lot of comparisons with other options over on SBAF.

It is, and if you knew how a digital audio format like a pcm looks like and you knew how a DAC chip and a microcontroller work that was pretty obvious . I answered hoping to help someone willing to understand how it works but since you don’t know it and you’re not willing to understand it, you don’t deserve help.

Hahahahahah. Priceless post :rofl:

1 Like

Nope. AES is different. BNC is the same as coax just a different plug.

Good luck to understand how it really works man, since you didn’t understand even a really simple example.

On the Pi2AES the BNC is actually implemented as single ended AES, the AES out is balanced AES.

as per the manual, I was happy to find this little detail out. It’s why I switched it from SPDIF Coax to BNC

AES
BNC OUTPUT -
A 75 ohm
BNC connector with Isolation Transformer provides for Single Ended
AES transmission.

I saw an improvement switching from the SPIDIF Coax to the BNC. Make sure you’ve got a good cable. I made my own… I mean I bought a really expensive one at deep discount.

The problem here is that “Digital is Digital” is not true to begin with. CAN, USB, Ethernet, etc. all use differential signals. Does not mean I can plug a Car into a network switch.

The next issue is that the real world does not care if your theory works on paper.
Extreme example, but a square wave through some suboptimal trace layout and cable can easily come out looking like this:
A Schmitt Trigger may help to get that to be valid data, clock accuracy is lost on those rolling hills.

If digital was so easy, how do you explain all the forum posts elsewhere of people debugging I2C (and similar) protocols?

Cool! Didn’t realize that…because I didn’t read the manual :man_facepalming:

Since the last time we had a discussion about the volume control you said that the pc via the usb cable transmit an audio signal to the DAC I can understand your confusion but digital is digital

More than suboptimal this looks broked

Everything needs debugging in the design process

Few weeks or few months go by and then you can play the tune again.

2 Likes

I had some noise issues due to interference from my pc tried every connection, optical usb. ended up getting a schiit Eitr, hooked up to my Schiit gungnir by coaxial and haven’t had any issues with noise. i’ve tried other dacs with usb, they still get noise but with the Eitr there’s nothing. For only 99$ Its been the best upgrade I’ve made, the noise was intermittent but totally gone now after awhile of use no issues.

3 Likes