šŸ”¶ Softears RSV 5BA's

This is the official thread for the Softears RSV

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: In Ear
  • Amp needed: No but better with

:red_circle: Softears Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviewsā€¦

6 Likes

Softears RSV Unboxing

Observations to package:

• Everything feels premium, touchĆ©;
  • Cable is one of the best stock cables Iā€™ve got to date but itā€™s 3.5mm only. Canā€™t compete with Xinhs stuff;
  • Includes 6 silicone tips that strike as cheap Radius Deep Mount and 6 wide bore foam tips;
  • Units come inside their ā€œsocksā€, which is a nice touch.

So my 3rd piece of end-game as arrived. Iā€™ll try to take some good shots on it - it deserves it - and also some cable combinations. For now Iā€™ll be using cables I have, I might grab a new one soon.

These are one of the best IEMs Iā€™ve ever tried. Hands down.

9 Likes

Iā€˜ve had my eyes on these for quite a while, and your comments and pictures only further my thought of getting a pair myself :slight_smile:

They have been taking all the spotlights, really. Im trying to finish some thoughts and reviews of other sets but god damn, these keep coming back to my ears.

I have a new cable coming up next week (gold graphene) and another portable source (xd-05 bal). Iā€™ll make sure to juice up some pics. So far, itā€™s the second iem that is allowed to leave the watch box and stay with me on my desk. Big Tea Cult seal of approval. My fav after Teas so far.

3 Likes

@nymz Just got my set in. I know you say the mids are killer on these. Am I missing something? Maybe itā€™s possible my library or preferences arenā€™t suited to highlight mids. So far Iā€™m not really digging the RSV.

The treble passes my non fatiguing test which was a good start. Bass isnā€™t bad for an all BA set. Just kind of finding the overall tuning boring with nothing special about it. Only an hour into listening but have yet to find anything that clicks. Possible you have a song suggestions and key area of it I can analyze? Help give me some love for the RSV.

2 Likes

The mids/vocals are some of the best Iā€™ve heard in this hobby. Thatā€™s the special sauce. Keep in mind if you donā€™t use a low OI source bass gets down.

This track is RSVā€™s face where its tuning is all about balance and reference. Itā€™s the same old as U12T. If you are in one of the extreme poles (bass or treble head) it will be boring. Itā€™s a (very) safe tuning.

You arenā€™t someone Iā€™d really push RSV into unless you asked for it. You like warmer/bass sets.

1 Like

Oh wow those vocals do sound fantastic. Need to now see how it compares to other sets though. Going to go listen to some vocal jazz and do the same. At the end of the day maybe Iā€™ll be able to fully understand the particular magic of the set. Unfortunately my library and listening habits donā€™t really have me listening to songs that seem they may benefit the special sauce here. Seems like you probably have my taste nailed down. Got it at good deal so if it goes back up for sale it shouldnā€™t be much of a loss.

1 Like

I didnā€™t notice the mids being extraordinary either, and whatā€™s worse is for me either in upper mids or treble, most tracks were harsh for me. Thatā€™s a bit of a mystery given the graph and general feedback.

Nobodyā€™s wrong, but our ears are all so different!

2 Likes

If you donā€™t mind me asking, what tips are you using, given itā€™s a big boi?

Iā€™m listening to some Vocal Jazz and I can see where @nymz might be coming from. These tracks though are particularly low key with regards to the band and keep the vocalist as the highlight. Not much of library unfortunately. Occasionally I am getting a sense of some female vocals registering to high and almost being harsh. Could be what youā€™re also referring to. Iā€™m going to give the set a few more sessions this weekend. Pretty sure though itā€™s going back up for sale. Iā€™ll post up here first when it most likely does.

1 Like

Seems in that case that youā€™re both sensitive to 3k pinna gain

1 Like

Could it be more emphasized by the dip before 3k? The EJ07 and Kinda Lava, while not having a peak right at 3k, donā€™t seem to bother me near as much. They donā€™t have the dip beforehand though I actually enjoy both those sets. I also threw up the Oracle MKII and if this is the case thatā€™ll probably be a no go for me if the RSV is.

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s more prominent compared to EJ/Mahina.
Plus youā€™re comparing it to sets with DD which in most cases donā€™t need that much of compensation in bass region compared to BA.

That was always my theory after hearing the Legacy 3, way back. The Oriveti OH300 which I consider an absolute beast of a dark horse, sometimes gave me consonant sibilance and its peak is a little earlier than 3k.

That dip can cause the 3k peak to stand out more, more contrasty. So thats probably why it bothers you more on the RSV compared to the others.

I experienced something similar with the Vulkan.

1 Like