Soldering Stations and Cable mod tools

Anybody have a good soldering station you would recommend for working on a cable mod? I am looking to purchase some equipment for a couple projects: removable cable on a Grado, on the beyer Tygr, and also some cable mods in koss headphones…

Anybody do these kinds of mods recommend any equipment?

they are all pretty much the same. get a variable temp one. also, get a 3rd hand clip arm or 2 to hold things. helps a ton.

Like i said I would recommend one of the cheap T12 knockoff solder stations, like this
A third hand also helps and get some decent solder with flux

1 Like

Good pair of tweezers (non-magnetic), snips (cheap ones from Ebay will do), TS-100 or TS-80 soldering iron, flux and a third hand (or small vise).

1 Like

I am looking at this station: Soldering Station, Merece Digital Soldering Iron Kit w/ 176℉-896℉ Adjustable Temperature (C/F), Standby & Sleep, Temperature Lock, 5 Solder Tips, Tip Cleaner, Solder Wire, Sucker - Fast Heating Up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087832Y16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9XPCWP0QH3HAHNTB8DWV

If you don’t want to solder to much it’s enough but if you think you’ll want to do it more often a t12 or like maze said a ts80/100 will be better because they heat up quicker and the temperature readout has less tolerances and the tips come in many different styles
And like i said the solder in such sets is often garbage and if you want a nice solder sucker i can recommend the one from the engineer brand
Also helps to look at one or two solder tutorials on you tube so you know what to do
Ah one last tip a 5v USB fan so you don’t get the fumes from soldering in your face :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Any recommendations on solder to buy?

led free. your health will thank you.

edit: solder with flux is easy to use. make sure to get flux if your using flux free solder.

edit2: having some flux on the side, even if you get solder with flux, can help. really small solders can use a little extra flux to get a good bond.

Thanks for the tips guys! Here is my revised equipment list… Will also add a non magnetic tweezers and wire stripper/cutter…

ShineNow Soldering Station Kit,Digital Portable Soldering Station Temperature Controlled,With 2 pcs T12 Tips,a Pocket Solder Wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3NKCVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4YT949F7RHXB0S6VDBZ6

Aven 17530 Soldering Iron Holder with Brass Coil Tip Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LQG47V0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WDDVDZHPHD39CED567MQ

Magnetic Helping Hands, Third Hand Tool Helping Station with 4 Soldering Helping Arms and Non-Slip Steel Weighted Base SN4AB-B Amazon.com

MAIYUM 63-37 Tin Lead Rosin Core Solder Wire for Electrical Soldering (0.8mm 50g) Amazon.com

SRA Soldering Products Rosin Paste Flux #135 In A 2 oz Jar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZIV85A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D4QRJ2ZYJBPRMPTXX26Y

make sure your well ventilated when using lead solder.

to consolidate a few of your items into 1 stand if you like.

edit: the magnifying glass is kinda useless and doesn’t have to be installed.

1 Like

I will probably solder in the garage with garage door open… Will use a fan to pull fumes
away from my desk

1 Like

Leadfree is preferable, else you want good ventilation or a fume extractor. (cue the comments of “I worked in a lead mill for my entire life…”)

Just don’t buy the cheapest and avoid Acid-Core.
Typing “Stannol” or “Felder” into some online shop should bring up useable stuff.

2 Likes

Found this video by Z from 6 years ago… nice demo: Headphone Detachable Cable Mod (Z Review) - YouTube

Here is a cheap way to extract the fumes.

1 Like

I’m looking at this station: Soldering station with 100-500 degrees Celsius, adjustable temperature (C/F), standby and sleep, temperature lock, with T245/T12/936 handle, 3 solder tips, tip cleaner, solder Wire, suction cup - fast heating, almost all the functions of your welding, friends who often weld are also recommended to use it :T3A Temperature Controlled Quick Soldering Station With T245/T12/936 Handle - AiXun_AiXun

looks nice. are you going to be soldering a lot? cheap tools work fine for occasional work. quality tools needed if your going to be using them all the time. ive been using the same basic stahl station for 10+ years. works just fine for my occasional needs.

1 Like

For occasional needs, the TS-100 or TS-80 irons work extremely well.

When it comes to soldering equipment for cable mods, precision and reliability are key. Here are some suggestions for soldering stations that could work well for your projects

1. AiXun T3a
    T3A Temperature Controlled Quick Soldering Station With T245/T12/936 Handle - AiXun_AiXun
  2. AiXun T3as
    T3AS 200W All-in-One Soldering Station with T245 Handle Economical Welding_AiXun
    The difference between t3a and t3as is the appearance and price
2 Likes

welcome to HFG, robot! :smiley: