Solid State Amp Upgrade Path

Hey guys I need your input/ideas on upgrading my solid state amp…I have been thinking(which the wife always tells me is dangerous :joy: and or expensive :rofl:) of upgrading my Asgard3 to something that scales with my ZMF Atrium. I primarily use my tube amp for longer listening sessions. I will break this down with what headphones I use, what I listen to, what I am looking to gain in a new ss amp and budget.

Budget: $300-$1000 USD. I don’t want to go over that number because I would just upgrade my tube amp and I don’t want to do that right now. I finally got my WA-6 set up with the right tubes and sound signature I am looking for. I know it is a wide margin, but it should give a lot of options. I have no problems buying used gear as long as it meets my criteria.

Headphones: ZMF Atrium (primary), Focal Elex and Sennheiser 6XX. The Atrium and 6xx are 300 ohm and the Elex are 80 ohm.

Music: I primarily listen to rock from classic to 90’s grunge to current day stuff. I also like to go back down memory lane and listen to some old school rap(late 80’s to mid 90’s), 90’s R&B and I am starting to listen to a little bit of classical…I prefer well recorded live music.

Looking For: Better separation, wider and deeper sound stage, a slam to the bass and solid mids. Keep in mind I love my tubes so I like that warm and fun sound…I am not a fan of super analytical or dry amps.

I will be using my Modius as my dac for now…The dac will be the last upgrade…I am thinking BF 2/64, Denafrips Ares or the 12th anniversary or possibly a Musician Pegasus, but we will cross that bridge at a later time.

I personally was thinking a Flux Labs FA-12, FA-22 or a Cayin iHA-6. I have read and watched a few reviews that the Cayin iHA-6 and supposedly it pairs really well with the Atriums…I thank you guys in advance and I am looking forward to your suggestions…

There are a few options that could work. You mentioned the iHA-6 already, but take a look at the Lake People G111/G111 mk2 or Violectric v2xx-series(used, though a V222 is $1300 new). The Burson Soloist 3XP also gets below $1k used. I suppose that the GSX Mini might be a viable option, but it’s more hit and miss with what it pairs well with, and the last few that I’ve seen on the market have been around $1200. A Bryston BHA-1 would likely suit you most closely, but they go for more than the Mini do.

Personally, if you are primarily going to be using the WA6 anyways, I’d grab a G111/G111mk2, call it good and focus on the DAC. :+1:

2 Likes

I missed out on a BHA-1 the other day for around $800…It pretty much sold about 5 minutes after it was posted…I have had someone else suggest Vioelectric as well…I have thought about a Burson but I would also want the supercharger also…I have seen them packaged used from 7 to around 850…The GSX Mini from what I have read and have been told doesn’t pair that well with the Atriums…As I stated in my budget I am not going over $1000…I definitely like your input…

1 Like

I think another amp that fits the bill there is the Jotunheim 2. The SE and XLR can give 2 different flavors but also pack power.

Now for ZMF, any amp that has a decent impedance output is going to help you there. That’s where the iHA-6 comes in to play but you already mentioned that amp as a possiblity.

Honestly, my two amps are the iHA-6 and Liquid Platinum and they both offer something different for me. I had the Jot2 and do miss that at times as it did help with staging. The LP does help with staging too though. I think you’ve been given some great recs from the above posts already too!

I had the Modius as well. It’s a great DAC but if you enjoy warmth then you have options there that won’t break the bank.

2 Likes

I watched your review of the iHA-6…You did a really good job on it…I actually really enjoyed a few of your videos tbh…Keep up the good content…

The single ended output impedance is one of the things that I really like about the iHA-6…It has also been said that the Atriums sound really good with it…I think MonsterZero(headkarma) touches on that in his review of it.

I honestly didn’t think about a Jot2…I have spent some time with one in the past…There definitely is two different sound signatures with it…I also want to see how the new Rebel amp with changeable op amps is…I also finally got a response from Flux Labs this morning…He asked me to send him a detailed e-mail of what I am looking for and he was going to give me his recommendation as far as his amps go.

I definitely love the input from you guys…I am narrowing down the gap of the direction I am going to go…Thanks for the response @skeeb23

1 Like

Good luck and I’m sure whatever you choose, it will be right for you. Thanks for the kind words as well. So many amps, so little time ha!

I know @M0N is another excellent source of information when it comes to amps. He did an entire write up (ongoing) over here:

1 Like

I have followed the shit list…lol…He is definitely one of the members here who’s opinion I value…He is for sure an excellent source of info.

1 Like

Fwiw I have the Asgard 3 and recently got a G111. Definite step up in every way. I’m using it with the BF 2 OG.
@WaveTheory has a good review of the G111 mk 2, in which he compares it to
the G111.

1 Like

Relevant links.

2 Likes

I don’t know man, that dude seems pretty sketch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

5 Likes

I know! He keeps talking about cables, of all things. :rofl:

2 Likes

that is the word on the street :rofl: :rofl: I have told you before I really enjoy and respect your reviews…You have made leaps and bounds since the early reviews…Keep up the great content…

What would be your take on my dilemma?

I have talked to Vitalii from Flux Labs…I am waiting to hear back from him again…I am interested in a FA-12 or FA-22 if I was to go that route, but with everything going on over there it may be tough to get one.

I appreciate the links…I have watched and watched them again…There is a lot of useful information…So many amps so little time…lol

I have not heard the iHA-6 or Flux options yet. Of those I’ve heard the G111mk2 sounds like the best match to your cans and stated preferences. The Lake People design is very strong for hi-Z loads which is most of what you have (Elex is sorta mid but Focals do well on Lake People amps). The only downside to the G111mk2 for you might be it’s not quite powerful enough for something like an HE-6 series can. But if you don’t have any desire for one of those you should be fine.

1 Like

Ill be honest I have found pretty much my audio nirvana with the Atrium and tubes…I do want to get a good pair of planar magnetic headphones down the road…I really enjoyed the Calderas when I got to listen to them…I also enjoyed the LCD-X and the 3’s…None of those are happening for a while…

I am going to look more into the G111…I am interested in some of the Vioelectric amps also…How do you think they stack up against each other? I realize they are the same company.

The Vio V200 series will be the next step up. To my knowledge the Lake People line tops out with the G111. The V200 line will be more resolving and holographic but also warmer. The Lake People sound is more studio neutral, because they are meant to be studio headamps. Both will handle most planars well also. The G111mk2 drove my HE1000se splendidly. The original G111 handled LCD-X very well too. My Vio V281 does fine for HE6 and is decent with Susvara but you’re better off jumping up to the V550 for inefficient planars… At a cost of course.

1 Like

I want to thank all of you guys for your input…It is appreciated…I took into account what you guys think, my research and watching reviews, and then talking to the gentleman that has helped me along my journey into and with tubes. I am about 90% sure that I am just going to spend a little extra and go with the Vioelectric V222…The other 10% would by the Cayin iHA-6…Plus from what I have read the BF2 pairs well with the Vioelectric…

4 Likes

Wow. I think this is a great choice. When I was trying to figure things out as to what I was going to get, The V222 was right there on the short list. Of course, I ended up buying the HEKs, but the V222 is still a possibility for the future. And now you might be making it happen. How exciting! :+1:t2:

1 Like

I think I will also…I have read and been told it pairs really well with the BF2…It will be an amp that I keep around for a long time…I don’t mind spending extra on something that will be used for a long time…I was looking into Flux Labs also, but with everything going on over there it just isn’t a good time…How are you enjoying the new cans?

1 Like

I hear you. Regardless, The Vi is the move. I agree with your thoughts on the Frost pairing as well, based on what I have been able to digest. An amazing addition to your system, man. :ok_hand:t2:

The HEKs… I’m pretty blown away right now. These are the real deal. Music has never sounded this good on anything I have ever owned. I’m gonna write a little follow-up on the HEK thread so I don’t bog this one down, but yeah. Enjoying is the word!

2 Likes