Something to cut off XLR feeds

I am planning to purchase a Schiit ragnarok 2 for personal use, but also realized that I need to do some mixing which I can achieve with a small set of studio monitors I can hook up to the ragnarok’s XLR preouts.
Unfortunately it seems the pre outs are only controllable through the Ragnarok 2’s headphone mode (I don’t get this it’s weird-- also holy crud the balanced headphone out is 24 watt per channel at 32 ohms, is that like dangerous for my headphones?)

Anyways I was wondering if there is a device I can use to cut off the XLR Feed? So I can switch cleanly between headphone and Pre Outs?

Be careful with the volume for headphones lol. You can always control the gain but be careful, that could blow up headphones and destroy you’re ears if you aren’t careful. The 1/4 inch output is less power then the balanced as well

You could use something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Switcher-Selector-Splitter/dp/B07875KC4F/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2DWQ17OM2ZB5I&keywords=xlr+switch&qid=1568575227&s=gateway&sprefix=xlr+switc%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-4

You would just switch to an empty input. And yes I believe that headphone mode has to be activated. I think it is this way because they assume that you would not need to control a power amp if you already are using speakers with the device itself.

Also I don’t exactly understand what you are trying to do here, but that switcher should cut the xlr signal if you have it switched to an empty input

1 Like

Ah, I’m trying to figure out a way to mute the monitors when I want to hear what I am working on soley through the headphones without having to unplug said speakers or turn them off.

Now that I actually wrote that it might actually be easier to turn off the studio monitors as another option after all…

That’s kinda what I was thinking, I didn’t know if you had some strange always on monitors

There is the ART SCC, which allows you to turn inputs and outputs on or off.
Would need to get XLR to TRS cables/adapters though.

https://artproaudio.com/product/scc/

I was thinking about that as well but its kinda overkill for what he is doing

1 Like

Re-reading the OP, it is overkill.
Maybe something like the JBL Nano Patch+ or Palmer Monicon?

The mackie big knob passive is also another option that I like better then the nano patch plus imo.

1 Like