šŸ”¶ Sony IER-Z1R

I agree for the bass and mids section. The treble is really another story, though. They do share a common DNA, more cousins than brothers.

1 Like

Got the Plussound X6 Copper cable for the Z1R. Comfort is largely improved. Beautiful cable with special mmcx connectors.

4 Likes

Got the Traillii on loan for a week. The vocals are incredibly well-rendered.

The Sonys have a hard time keeping the pace in that register. The level of details also is a step above on the Traillii. Thatā€™s about all so far. The Z1R have much better bass (quantity, quality, layers, precision) and the treble slightly has the edge over the Oriolus.

Two complementary IEMs I would say after 2 hours of listening.

4 Likes

I went with the Silver plated copper X6 for mine :+1:

3 Likes

Beautiful :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

1 Like

For electronic music, do you still prefer the Z1R before the Vega?

I was having doubts between the Vega B-stock, for 499 usd (so, probably I have to add tariffs), or a Z1R used (2 years), for 1050ā‚¬, in what appears to be very good condition from someone on Head-fi.

I ended up buying the Z1R. After so much time reading and watching reviews about how good they are, I really have to try them by myself. Worst case scenario I think that I could sell them without a big loss.

About the Vega, I was thinking to buy them because I love the Cascades, and I would like an IEM version of themā€¦ But at the same time, it seems like duplicating gearā€¦

In any case, Z1R it is. I am so hyped right now. Canā€™t wait to try them.

1 Like

Ok, two moths later I have not got a lot of time to use them, not as much as I would have liked, but I have had enough to be in love with them. Thereā€™s no way I will sell them.

I love the elevated bass, the bass quality, the ā€˜smooth as fuckā€™ treble and the general presence of mids. I donā€™t understand how anyone can say that mids are recessed. I only got that impression with the foam tipsā€¦

I have been trying several tips, but I have not arrived at a conclusion about deep or non deep fit. It is clear that thses were designed to be deep inserted, but even with the small tip (I still have to try the smallest oneā€¦) they put some pressure inside the ear canal, but then they are great for my outside ear. If I use a bigger tip, the regular ones that I use in all my IEMS, then ear canal is safe, but they get hot spots in my ear very fast, and they become less comfortable than deep insertion. So, at this point I am more inclined on deep insertion than going for the bigger tip option, the one I am used in other iems.

I am surprised that I have not found a big sound difference between deep or not deep option. Itā€™s more a comfort issueā€¦

So, itā€™s the general consensus that deep insertion is better? They do really seem to be designed for that, Or itā€™s just a comfort issue depending on ear canal or general ear size?

1 Like

My understanding is the consensus advises deep insertion for improved treble. Crinacle mentioned this in his video review and Iā€™ve seen it recommended numerous times on various forums.

Personally, they sound the same to me at any insertion depth.

1 Like

Crinā€™s Z1R Re-doā€¦

It still gets reviewedā€¦

Andā€¦

2 Likes