šŸ”· Sony MDR-1AM2

sony z7m2 might be the ā€œupgradeā€

Probably Campfire Cascades.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦Are there any options from the world of open-back headphones?

Iā€™m sure there are, but none of the opens I have really sound like a sony, so take these with a grain of salt:

Out of what I have, my beyerdynamics T1.2 after a pad swap (leather/hybrid/suede materials) turn into a very warm, v-shaped can, with great detail.
Other beyers: The T1.3 comes very warm out of the box.
The dt880 (600ohm version) is cheaper and also recommended.

My sennheisers hd6xx and hd560s, when bass boosted (software or amp) get incredibly warm, the hd560s are pad rolled with brainwavz XL suede which make them extra warm and bloomy, extremely enjoyable combination.

Havenā€™t heard these 2 but they might be the better options:

If you really want the sony-house sound you can look for an used sony mdr ma900, have seen for like $300 in great condition, kinda hard to find.

Harmonicdyne zeus, widely recommended, easy to drive, should have enough warmth and sparkle reminiscent of sony sound, with great soundstage and detail.

Also maybe check out the focal elex and elear, arenā€™t really like a sony but the bass and mids impact are ludicrous, recommended. Same goes for audezeā€™s, hifiman and monoliths planars.

Some reviewers said that the T1.2 is similar to a HD800, which is bright-neutral. Then do you think I could just get a HD800s instead? Are there any differences between the T1 Gen 2 and the HD800?

Never heard a hd800, but some do say theyre very similar. I wounldnt call the T.1 bright-neutral, its more of a bright v-shape, but gets very bassy after a pad roll.

At this point Id say make another thread to get better help, the thing about the hd800 (and T1) is that it has a very specific kind of bright tuning that aims for detail and soundstage, a lot of people end up not liking it, its something to buy if you care about soundstage the most.

This is the first Sony headphone I have ever seen that comes with only a balanced cable out of the factory.

Does this mean it can only be used with a balanced cable & amp, or can I also use unbalanced cables & amps?

Does it sound like it was meant for balanced amps?

You get both a balanced and an SE cable. You can use it with both balanced and SE amps.

1 Like

Ah, I see. On a second look, I think I mistook the microphone cable for balanced lmao.

1 Like

currently on the fence between the 1am2 and the takstar pro82, does anyone have both and gets the ups and downs of each? I like a light bass emphasis most of the time for orchestral and instrumental music but I also love cranking the low end for basshall, dubstep, rap, hip hop, edm etc

Iā€™ve just bought these headphones (awaiting delivery) and must admit it was quite a journey trying to choose from the abundance of headphones out there! I managed to narrow it down to two, the Meze 99 Classics and the Sony MDR-1AM2s. I went with the latter as it seemed to tick all the boxes - Watching movies was a big part of that decision.

Now I need to choose a portable DAC/AMP and was wondering if anyone could help? The iFi Audio GO blu (and make use of the 4.4mm cable included with the Sony headphones) or the Fiio BTR5? Specifically, the functionality of aptx LL in watching movies is quite important.

Can anyone who owns both compare them to the DT770? I know theyā€™re in two different price brackets new, but used/refurbished they seem to be in a similar price range

I USED to own the DT770, and remember them to be a bit brighter and not as warm sounding as these. Also, I remember the 770ā€™s bass as being less impactful, maybe because of the warmth of the Sonyā€™s

I have owned these cans for 4 years now, and they are my favorite closed-back i have ever owned.
The main reason why I say this is: the weight. Not only are they extremely light, but the bass has weight to it. Yesterday i fitted the ā€˜ā€™ Geekria QuickFit Replacement Ear Pads for Sony MDR-1AM2, MDR-1AM2/B Headphones Ear Cushions, Headset Earpads, Ear Cups Repair Parts (Black/Plastic Ring)ā€˜ā€™ to the 1am2ā€™s, and i was amazed. Not only did the comfort shoot up(before i couldnā€™t wear them for more than 2 hours), but soundstage has improved a lot as well. Currently I am favoring these to the HD58x and Sivgav021.
Oh did I mention they donā€™t require an amp? I run these on my phone as well as the iFi Audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX on the PC.
The only knock i can give these cans is that they require so little juice to run, it is easier to blow your ears out if youā€™re not careful on gain and volume, and yes that has happened.
In summary, if you are looking for a closed-back lightweight headphone, for not a lot of money, get these.

2 Likes

Glad people are still giving these cans the love they deserve such a tastefully done tuning by Sony ,great build quality decent comfort , yet easily over looked. Also my favorite in the sub $500 region of closed backs

I have the MDR-1ADAC version of these and they still sound goodā€¦ Prefer my TH610ā€™s now thoughā€¦ and use XM5ā€™s on the go now.