šŸ”· Sony MDR-CD900st

Yeah, these are definitely tuned for asian music, because they are part of asiaā€™s music history, which also includes sound signatures from older versions of these, pure japanese sony sound.

They are still used today in a ton of recording studios across asia mostly for that, recording, not every mixing engineer would use it for mixing/masters but a lot of them do or at least considers their sound ā€œbalancedā€.

About their amps, they probably just throw these on the studio mixer, presumably good mixers because japanese music.

I havenā€™t heard them but I know as much, I got a pair incoming and have high expectations for them, I know their sound signature fits my taste based on several reviews and im sure you do as well, not only because the music is asian it means that you have to like this type of sound signature.

I donā€™t think they will be endgame for me by far but Iā€™m almost sure theyā€™re keepers.

Ahh yessā€¦" ā€œbalancedā€. "

Indeed the definition of ā€œbalancedā€ isnā€™t as hard set as I discovered even using what would have been considered ā€œbalancedā€ monitors. [referring to sound signature not wiring]

There is still always a slight touch of something to skew ā€¦or not at all (Soul-less Shureā€™s)

and indeed the STā€™s were just my right perk.

Even with a faulty cable (could be the Amp though I tried it on 3 different 1/4" sockets)
Requires me to twist it ever so slightly until I get an even noise level in both channels.

1 Like

You should get that cable checked, I dont know what its like but that sounds like what happens when the 1/4 cable jack is not properly screwed in, or a straight faulty one, which you could do a detachable mod for or have it done.

Those shures and many other ā€œreferenceā€ sounding monitors are often described as being boring, some people also thinks the cd900st are boring, the definition of neutral changes with time and place and I think the current neutral standard for most people is slightly v-shaped for audiophiles (compared to hps from 10-20 years ago) and very v-shaped for average consumers, which may or may not be perceived by them as neutral.

I mean hey point me in the right direction for DIY and Iā€™ll start it reading up :heart: !

Iā€™d be more then down to give these a custom feel, especially if it helps that issue.

On a side noteā€™ is mixing/mastering these with a Magni 3 Heresy too biased? (in other words should look for a different dac/amp)

EDIT*
Just realized modding would probably entail soldering at that point itā€™s probably a lost cause and just wait for something to go bad enough to get a new pair

Honestly every producer mixes on whatever gear they have, specially the ones starting out, these are certainly a proper pair for mixing and the magni 3 heresy is not too biased, I get its a pretty clean amp from reviews.

Yeah, my dad teached me how to sauter back in the day and I know I fucked up some things I was trying to repair, a pair of headphones included. soldering isnā€™t difficult but it requieres basic electronics knowledge and tools.

You can find someone who repairs headphones to do it for you and/or check if you can screw/unscrew the 1/4 jack by hand, if not better dont touch it. You can pm me for more info but I donā€™t have the headphones yet so I cant tell yet. Iā€™ll detachable mod mine.

Got the cd900st yesterday and damn, theyā€™re good. Yaxi studio pads (1) onā€¦ I think they are the best headphones Iā€™ve heard for $200, which I paid in total including the price of the yaxis. I donā€™t think itā€™s new toy syndrome its tuning really works for me.

-Early Impressions, magnius with LD2mk2 pre used only-

For the price Impressive low end, a lot of warmth but keeps it balanced, extremely good imaging and instrument separation, natural timbre in the mids and treble with no faked detail, intimate presentation with actual depth. Great allrounders.

2 Likes

I know people have stuck Bear pads on them. You can probably find something that will work.

Sony MDR-CD900st vs AT ath-msr7b (comparison)

I have listened a ton of hours on the cd900st by now, even though its a recent purchase I want to review them with a comparison against the msr7b, as I think its too early for me to review them as is. Iā€™m writing this for fun, to share my appreciation and like always, yours may vary.

These two headphones are remarkable closed backs around the $200 price tag, for my taste I would pick both over meze 99 classics.

Iā€™m using both A/B testing and impressions from longer listening sessions.

Chain used:
Tidal > ifi Zen Dac > Little Dot II mk2 preamp (voskhod tubes) > Schiit Magnius

Both headphones sound very good from any source I tried, they are not amp picky at all but they do scale.

I run the cd900st on the SE out and the msr7b on the balanced out, my cd900st pads are rolled with yaxi stpad 1, they sound very similar to stock, just a tad smoother on the treble and much more comfortable.

Build:
They both feature good isolation and comfort (great after pad rolling), linear clamp and good seal with moderately thin frame glasses on. Sonyā€™s headband has way more padding than what it looks like on pictures.

Overview

The cd900st feature a fairly linear frequency response, but they have a rich and warm tonality thanks to their great dynamics, instrument separation and depth (incredible performance for a $200 closed back).

Their presentation never gets very laidback nor forward, I would call it relaxed, the staging feels very true to source in its small soundstage.

The msr7b are slightly v-shaped and bright, they have the characteristic Audio Technica recession on the lower mids, very addicting for female vocals and string instruments.

It doesnā€™t perform technically on the same level as the sonys but its close, they sound more engaging and fun oriented with a bigger stage.

Song face off

Iā€™ll be highlighting the sound and feeling of some instruments, the songs are for reference.

SNAP! - Exterminate (Endzeit 7) feat. Niki Haris

Early 90ā€™s house, this genre favors the msr7b which pair amazingly well with this song, but it also lets the cd900st show some of their prowess.

msr7b puts the vocals, synths and even some of the detail forward, which results in a more impactful presentation.

cd900st takes a more clinical, layered approach, positioning the instruments voices to the sides, letting the groove of the drums shine in the center before dropping the lead synth.

msr7b emphasizes the drums, making them large and bloomy but they gradually fade down in the mix as more instruments are revealed and take the lead. The flute and guitar have a very very good tone, hi-hats have more air than cd900st.

cd900st keeps the bassline in the background however its more punchy and textured. There is an arpeggiated rhytmic synth which is heavily textured (like trebley shockwaves), it sounds amazing, the msr7b just canā€™t produce this level of texture (it does have some though).

Cowgirl Clue - A Figure 8

Hyperpop song with a bright mix. No sibilance on either headphone but the ATs can be perceived as shouty, I get a similar amount of fatigue with both headphones if I listen to this songā€™s full album as its brightness gradually takes a toll.

Msr7b brighter tonality and slightly boosted bass again synergize very well with the genre and song. Thereā€™s a fast click sound, its very clicky and satisfying, I also like the forwardness of the vocals. I prefer Msr7bā€™s bloomier bassline here with the way this song was mixed.

cd900st sounds more wet here, smoother. You can tell the overall timbre is a bit deeper than neutral, kinda like the hd650. I guess its a matter of preference, if you donā€™t like a sound signature as bright or forward then sony has your number.

Some people find cd900stā€™s sound sig. boring or not impressive at all. I donā€™t; I think they add a genious twist to the typical ā€œstudioā€ sound with their relaxed balance and impressive dynamics.

Midori - Rhytm

Jazz fusion with hardcore punk. Very fast song with calm passages.

cd900st shine trough on very busy songs like this one, I really think their instrument separation and overall clarity is superior for a closed back of this price. I donā€™t have much else to say really, and thereā€™s a good chance this song was recorded (and mixed) with these headphones.

msr7b sound like a mess here, the drums are bloated, which may actually be a good thing to some but I pick clean every single time.

As much as I like msr7bā€™s forward vocals (and Iā€™m an AT vocals stan) I also have to give props to cd900stā€™s, they are buttery, not as much as the hd6** line of headphones but close. The electric guitar is very crunchy and the piano has weight.

Closing thoughts

The songs were picked kinda randomly from my library so thatā€™s that, I donā€™t think the genres matter as much as how the song was mixed for picking a headphone over the other, at the end of the day it all comes down to preference and I absolutely love both headphones, but I do think the sonys are better sounding on most songs.

Compared to cheaper options like dt770, ath-m40x, k361, etc. the cd900st are clearly one tier above in sound. Yaxis are likely a must and cable is attached, so thereā€™s also that to consider.

Compared to similarly priced open back options, they sound very closed (duh), but they take their closed back perks to the limit, If you want a taste of higher end closed backs I think this is the entry point, great dynamics, actual depth, texture and the sweet reverb presentation typical of good closed backs.

On the technical level I think these share a spot with hd6** line (in very different aspects), which is an absolute feat considering those are open and still price representative.

Compared to pricier closed backs, their ease of use, tonal balance and japanese heritage make them a good audiophile pick anyway. I think they have a lot in common with focal elegias, but those would be respectively on the tier above, being a little better in almost everything, specially soundstage.

4 Likes

I did the detatcheble cable mod, hereā€™s how they turned out

5 Likes

I actually just started using the stock pads again and yes they hurt after a short while. But for me the sound is Super direct. Iā€™d say itā€™s an overall improvement.

Trying to look around for where replacement pads would be of the ā€œstockā€ ones the

" Genuine Replacement Ear Pads cushions for SONY MDR-7506, MDR-V6, MDR-V7, MDR-CD900ST Headphones - 1 pair (2 pieces)"

Off of amazon seems to be the only result, which Iā€™m not too sure if those are the exact same shitty ones that come out the box for the CD900stā€™s

Update*

Bothered Reading into the descriptions in Yaxi Ear Pads website in how they describe the difference between the ST and ST2 pads.

Going to be ordering a pair of ST pads soon and see what results I find.
After switching back to the ST2 pads after using the STOCK ones since my last post about a month ago The Wording on their Website I felt 100% described The difference.

Soā€¦ Very keen to see what the regular STā€™s sound like.

OK HOLD UP

Check out this interview (Just translate it to English) From the guy who designed these Nageno Koji
https://rev.at1987.com/interviews/nageno-koji/

This is the excerpt

I think the MDR-CD900ST is a very good headphone for audio monitor work. I tuned in to this headphone with a team of Sony Music Shinanomachi Studio engineers (home to the former SMEJ recording room before moving to the current Nogizaka area), where I spent three years delighting him with its sound.

Itā€™s very important that they want the sound dimension to emerge from ahead. As when the singer sings 10 cm away from the recording mic, the sound dimension that comes out of the headphones must be able to tell a distance of 10. While the typical headphones tend to have a wide dimension and a distant sound, which is quite different, I try to make the driver sound as straight into the ear as possible.

?????????????????????

A cross-section of the cup that Mr. Koji drew to explain the design of the headphone pads and seals of the MDR-CD900ST.

To be able to do that, I had to reduce the space between the headphones and the ears by using a 40mm driver and a not-so-thick headphone pad to reduce this space. I also put a small seal around the driver to force the sound from the driver directly to the ear. When wearing earbuds, the ears are aligned with the driver, similar to the headphones over the ears, which makes the sound from the driver directly into the ear.

I guess Iā€™ll be swapping them back onā€¦ and just crying when my ears start to hurt after awhile.
Some things are wort hurting for I suppose. Maybe one day Iā€™ll still pickup those ST pads just to see.

But to answer my own question YES the original pads can be found for purchase

https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/search/index?search_all=cd900st&i_type=a&x=0&y=0

1 Like

The st pads 1 sound exceptionally close to the stock ones, theyā€™re so soft the ear is basically at the same distance than with stock.

The st pads 2 change the sound, which is not something i would like.

If youā€™re not sure in spending 40 for pads cause lets be honest, yaxis are expensive, pay 5 dollars extra to buy them on amazon and that way you can return them if they dont convince you.

1 Like

Shameless self promotion: If anyone here is interested, I just put my CD900st up for sale on the Buy / Sell thread. I like these headphones, but I donā€™t use them enough, so letting them go. Includes stock and red/blue Yaxi pads.

I just picked up a used pair of these from japan and stuck the Yaxi stpads2 on them, and I have to say for $100 these make vocals sing. God damn these are good!

Now with the stock pads they sound a little darker in the highs, but they are still good.