Sorting out Storage: NAS, Unraid, Etc

In that case your array can just consist of a single SSD. I’d suggest just some cheap one you’re not using. Here’s some interesting material about running SSDs in the array.

1 Like

Thanks ill give these a bedtime read. Im not going super fancy nvme drives like those spx labs guys but ill see what applies. The HDDs just wont fit for long term though so i hope it doesnt sink this.

Because unRAID 6.9 now supports multiple drive pools, there’s little downside to just ignoring the main array completely. So you don’t have to bother with HDDs. You can even configure your SSDs in RAID 5 or 6 with BTRFS. Though apparently only RAID 1 is recommended. If you don’t use the array, what you don’t get is the easy expandability on a single storage pool.

1 Like

My general rules for deciding between unRAID and TrueNAS is; 1) if storage performance is a requirement go with TrueNAS. 2) If you have a mix of disk capacities go with unRAID. Otherwise go with what you are comfortable with as they both do everything else well. Virtualization in TrueNAS is not great but works. You may have to pay for an unRAID license.

I went through this same question last year. I went TrueNAS as ZFS is not as complicated as people make it out to be. Plus I wanted performance for my VMware environment at home.

2 Likes