Source for Monoprice THX Portable

Do you have it connected to an iPhone? I’m not sure if I need an OTG USB to Micro USB cable or not.

I have connected the amp with an IPad and an iPhone with both the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter. You just need to use an ordinary micro USB cable with either adapter.

2 Likes

Ultrium, have you tried any DAPS that you can compare the sound of the THX to?

Unfortunately, no. The DAPs that have are old 5.5 version of the iPod and a version of the classic iPod. I have FiiO E17 and the FiiO E17k. The Monoprice THX blows both of them out of the water. I have the Monolith THX 788 desktop and the Sabaj D5. The portable is almost just as good as both of them. I have T60rp, the Argon MK3, M1060, HD58xx, and the Thieaudio Phamtoms.It can drive all of them easily. The IEMs that I have are the Tin P1 and the FiiO FH5. They both sound great with the portable.

I think I’m keeping this Monoprice actually, this thing is awesome. Might have to get my PEQ’s dialed in a bit more correctly but so far this is great!

I’m a bit curious, are there any cheap DAPs you recommend, ones that would solely feed signal (maybe DSD and MQA) to the Monoprice that I can strap to it? I like this thing but already feel like my iPhone might be holding it back.

Doesn’t the thx portable have a built in dac? I don’t see a need to do that. DSD can just be converted to pcm, and mqa might be pricey. If you wanted something, I think the audioquest dragonfly might work, but I guess I don’t see why you would need it

Edit: I misread sorry.

The fiio m6 might be up your alley, and should work just fine. But I don’t know if it supports mqa (quick search says it does)

MQA isn’t necessary. Just streaming as well as being able to store and decode a variety of file formats. Would run it to Monoprice via USB.

Yes it could. You would just need an otg cable.

The m6 pairs awesome with the thx portable, and there’s just enough room to mount it to the front too :smile:

2 Likes

Looks great! Maybe this is the way I will go. Is there a big difference in capabilities between M6 and M11?

I would say that the sound quality on the m11 is better, and the m11 is the faster device with more features, but tbh the m6 is really great for the price. You do get what you pay for, but I think the m6 makes more economical sense for this use, because you won’t be taking advantage of the m11’s dac or amp

1 Like

That’s what I figured. Time to start browsing the used market!

Have a link to that little cable you have there? I’m about to make this same combo haha

That looks like the fiio cl06

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-CL06-Type-Micro-Cable/dp/B07DLQ2XYZ

Thank you sir. Appreciate it.