Speaker recommendations for speaker newbies?

I am not much of a speaker guy for most of the audio that I have been using that I known for a while now, and most of those are good are headphones and IEMs. But, when it comes to Speakers I don’t have much good knowledge about them, so I am naive when it comes to choosing speakers that I might want in the future.

I just want to know what are the good starter pack speakers for newbies like me who is going to choose their first good speakers? and what qualities should I look for a speaker? and finally what type of speakers should I get based on the sounds that I want in terms of putting it in your room or something? Since it is a starter speaker, a guy like me who is on a budget would be a factor for purchasing one.

Thank you all in advance for those who have more in-depth knowledge about it and made some suggestions that can help people who are overall new to speaker audio.

2 Likes

a speaker with built in crossovers. I get a kick off cheap chinese speakers that sound good to my ears. So micca and neumi bs5.

I’m in the same boat as the guy above I want passive because I can expand them in the future but Micca rb42 are insanely hard to find I want bad neumi is available but rather go Micca since I saw reviews from zeos and joentell and the forum has a page on them. I want something other than a soundbar to replace the speakers my only other option is to go edifier one with optical input

1 Like

The room, amplification, use and budget play a roll in choosing. If the goal is HT get anything thats cheap and sounds good to atleast get it going. Personally i wouldnt go with anything under 5in drivers in home theater. Unless its like a RB42c or other MTM.

Which mtm model?

1 Like

I got JBL LSR 305 and found them amazing. I also added a sub with a cutoff knob, but it’s not required.

You can find them very cheap used on ebay. You need to be willing to be patient and watch that page though.

These are better on a desk or in a small room. You will need a headphone jack (called a TRS 3.5mm) to a 1/4" single pole cord.

Then you can plug them into your computer’s headphone jack, this may lead to a lot of noises though. If so get a cheap DAC. A Fiio BTR3 is excellent as you can use it on the go as well. There are other options for a cheap DAC though.

So in my setup it would go:
Computer/Phone – USB C --> Fiio BTR3 – 3.5 to 1/4" --> LSR305 x2

Note: All the things I just said are opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. If something about this setup won’t work for you, I’m sure others here may have something better. This is what I found worked well for me starting out.

1 Like

The usual klipsch, like pr. RP500c. Then you can upgrade with one of their big centers and 2 floorstanders.

Or all micca, 7 RB42c 4 OoO heights 2 bic subs marantz SR6015 7.2.4 atmos.

1 Like