Speaker Upgrade Time

Doing that will lose its character. Thought about getting a kit for RB600M

Steve Guttenberg seems to like Zu speakers, at least he liked the “Dirty Weekend” Maybe he has a review on those as well

I’ve gotten into some Zu and Tekton message boards and they both have tons of people who shit on every other brand and swear by those 2. They just move up the line yet there are a very limited number of reviews on either brand. Z mentioned on one video that apparently Tekton can be litigious as hell about reviews and since Zus don’t measure well a lot of people won’t even give them the time of day. It’s interesting

@db_Cooper is our resident Dirty Weekend owner if you have any questions about them.

1 Like

The ZU DW is one of the best sub 1k speakers. I love mine, refined accurate monitors they’re not. But they image well, wide sweet spot and can handle a lot of power. They also pair very well with low power tube amps.

What they don’t do is refined micro detail, as well as a high end monitors.

Here’s the thing, no one speaker does it all and if you make yourself resolute to that, you can enjoy a speaker for what it is. What it is VERY good at doing that makes it excel above other speakers or makes it different than other speakers you have and simply learn to enjoy them for that.

For voice, rock and specifically listening to instrumental music. Jazz, Samba, Latin. The Zu DW (with a good sub) is a phenomenal value. Now that I bought a pair of high end monitors (that I also love) I can see where it lacks and where it excels compared to it. But I have been swapping speakers back and forth every week or week and half just to compare and contrast.

Since you mentioned the Tekton and Zu forums, this is a good video to start. Ultimately I went with the Zu because the construction is more than a cut above the Tektons.

Cherry finish. Goodstuff.

If I had the SVS Ultras , I’d go with a pair of warmer booksheves like Wharfedale.

Those EVO 4.2s are very appealing and the reviews seem excellent

So did you change out your ultras? You could upgrade them with a GR upgrade kit. I added the norez material in my ultras. I also replaced the crossovers and the rear connectors. Im still assembling everything. I also bought their speaker cables and picked up some cheapo stands. I filled the stands with sand and use velcro to keep the speakers from getting bumped off when im shuffling around the setup. I wonder if anyone else here has tried anything like this with these speakers.

I moved my Ultras to my bedroom setup running them off of an SMSL AO200 which sounds fantastic. I tried KEF R3s, Tekton Lores, Zu Omen Bookshelves, Klipsch 600 Ms, Q Acoustics Concept 300s, and the Triangle Comete EZs. It turns out I am a Triangle fanboy like Z. Then I just got a pair of the Triangle Comete 40th anniversary for 1200 bucks and they are absolutely spectacular. I just wasn’t comfortable with changing the crossover and adding no rez and all that, I have never gone there but maybe one day down the road I will give it a try. All the other speakers I tried I returned. I just have the Ultras and the 2 sets of Triangles, the other set will replace my Ultras in my bedroom shortly.

1 Like