SPL Phonitor XE

Reviews, comments, and questions.

4 Likes

I just got the ā€˜eā€™ version in. Thereā€™s definitely more of a difference to the sound than I expected, compared to the RNHP. I donā€™t want to necessarily say itā€™s ā€œbetterā€ (They both sound great), but it definitely sounds different for sure.

7 Likes

Ohā€¦ and I have not tested itā€¦ but mine came with a DAC as well. =D Iā€™ve heard itā€™s nothing to write home about, but it was advertised with No DACā€¦ and it seems headphones.com sent me one of their units with the DAC built in.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Look at you with all the upgrades!

Youā€™ll have to post more impressions after youā€™ve had some good listening time.

Congratulations.

2 Likes

Oh I saw the deal. Congrats!

2 Likes

Wow nice. DAC too. Cmon its gotta be better than the Rupert Neve amp! Give us a review. what does it sound like?

1 Like

Do you think the dac could potentially replace your topping for you?

Have not even touched the DAC component yetā€¦ lol. But will definitely give it a listen soon. Iā€™m supposed to go pick up a late lunch hereā€¦ but currently very distracted. Just on the amp component alone I definitely have ā€˜feelingsā€™ to convey, but I need time to parce them out and figure out how to articulate them.

4 Likes

So far it sounds like the Phonitor is more of a complimentary addition to the RNHP rather than an obvious upgrade

Yeah, well itā€™s mostly that I donā€™t want to speak too soon and itā€™s definitely going for a different direction.

Itā€™s like comparing a porche to a BMWā€¦ one could be the nicest sedan youā€™ve ever driven, but maybe you really want a sports car insteadā€¦ so itā€™s going to come down to preference a bit, I think.

But as a small tease, I will say itā€™s extremely resolving, but also much less fatiguing than the RNHP or THX amps.

3 Likes

You should connect some shitty DACs and do a shit DAC roundup tournament on the phonitor. There can be only one! Lmao :laughing:

1 Like

I need a new optical cable to properly AB them at the same timeā€¦ The one I had hooked up to my PS4 just broke as I disconnected it. Lol. So no sound with itā€¦ =(
But switching back and forth with my working optical cable between the Topping D90 and built in DAC, my preliminary impression is probably, most definitely ā€˜noā€™ as far as the built in DAC being able to replace the D90.

2 Likes

Darn, I was wondering if they improved the dac in there or something based on the last time I heard it lol. Well hopefully the amp portion is more satisfactory (it was based on my experience lol)

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d have been happy to sell off or return the D90 and put that money directly towards the Denafrips Ares, but based on brief listening, itā€™s a pretty noticeable downgrade. But Iā€™ve already ordered a couple sets of toslink cables, which Amazon should deliver later tonightā€¦ so I can test it better then.

1 Like

Gotta love same day shipping!

Some proper ABing happening now. =)

Notice how F-ing Bright that Light is on the RNHPā€¦ lmao (Using the B input right now). Where the SPL hs a more reasonable red light on the front.

5 Likes

Iā€™m basking in a glorious green glow as I type this! :rofl:

Yeah, itā€™s that bright.

1 Like

So I originally felt the Phonitor might just be a bit more pulled back, with what I perceived to be a ā€˜widerā€™ sound stageā€¦ So I thought maybe the ā€œMatrixā€ crossfeed circuit which you can turn off and on might be permanently embedded a bit into the design of the amp to some extentā€¦ and the RNHP and THX amps were simply going for a more straight forward amping sound.

But now ABing with the RNHP, I think the difference is a lot more straight-forward. The Phonitor is just a good deal more resolving. Thereā€™s a very noticeable difference in the articulation and separation of sounds, which does a lot for the overall imaging and makes sounds more 3 dimensional and separated, hence why I had my initial impressionā€¦

More thoughts tomorrow or later this week for sure. Including more comparisons for the internal DAC vs the Topping D90.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s in line with @Darthpoolā€™s summation of the Fidelice (re-cased) RNHP compared to the Phonitor X. The Phonitor is a good step up from an already fantastic RNHP.

3 Likes

@M0N has said likewise.

1 Like