Spotify Hifi Coming Later This Year

I wonder if they’ll also include an option for family and duo plans. I can’t hear the difference and my gf definitely can’t, so we’re not paying extra for it, but I am curious how they are going to bring this to market after waiting all this time.
Personally I’m thinking of just starting to collect CD’s and ripping them, but that’s mostly because I hate the interface of Spotify and all the other services. Looked at Qobuz, tidal and Amazon music, they all suck.

3 Likes

Good news everyone!
“in select markets.” is what worries…

Deezer has it for a long time.

Not to stir the pot… but I hope Spotify has great success with this “upgrade,” as it might force Apple to offer the same. I really would like Apple Music to have a high rez option.

Oh, and if Apple could give us a better Bluetooth codec than AAC that would also be appreciated.

2 Likes

Egoless. LOL

1 Like

I’m in favor of all the streaming services offering a lossless/Hifi option. So I think this is good news. I also hope

1. Spotify doesn’t half-ass the roll out the way Amazon HD was

2. Spotify retains the option of mixing locally stored files and streamed tracks into the same playlist.

1 Like

Spotify has been the superior streaming service for a while in my opinion. I am acculating a collection of physical CDs and lossless rips but honestly most of my listening still happens on Spotify. Music selection, curated playlists that are actually good, visually appealing and functional UI, integrations with a wide range of hardware and software, fun social and sharing features like group sessions (which are awesome by the way), all these add up to a service that’s better because of the sum of its parts. You add CD quality streaming and now I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Soon to be Egolossless

1 Like

This is good news to me. I switched to Qobuz because the low fi of Spotify was driving me crazy. Yes @Marzipan I can hear a difference and it’s blatant. But Spotify has such a huge library that I want a reason to go back.

1 Like

The biggest difference I notice from 320 to flac is pretty much blacker background and in some stuff the staging is massively better but that’s about all I can notice lol

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think it comes a bit late, since others have long since offered Lossless.
It would look different if they had followed suit.
I’m curious to see what they want to charge for it. They won’t be able to charge more than Tidal.
Furthermore, you will certainly have to reckon with little choice of music and problems.
And how well you will implement it, of course.

I’m also curious to see whether you will allow Audirvana to implement it, because there will certainly be a big outcry if you don’t allow it.
Because in the end, Audirvana users are forced to use Tidal or Qubozz.

I’m also very curious to see whether they might do something about the app in this regard.
Because all apps without Audirvana mainly on the PC are really bad and wasted potential.
At least that was my experience before I switched to Audirvana.

In principle, it’s not a bad idea and certainly urgently needed, but the question will be how well it’s implemented.

I’m really excited about having lossless on Spotify. I used Tidal for a couple of years while I was a student, but just didn’t find that I was discovering new music as often as I do on spotify. I know that some people think spotify isn’t good for discovery because they never go beyond trying to just use radio and liking and disliking songs, but Discover Weekly, user made playlists, and the social features really just push it to the front of the pack in my opinion.

1 Like

I have the same experience. I discovered tons of music on Spotify. Tidal and Qobuz not much at all.

As @Deleeh mentioned, Audirvana integration would be awesome but I don’t see it happening. Spotify doesn’t open their APIs to anyone.

3 Likes

My feelings exactly. Spotify wins in these areas running away.

1 Like

I’ve tried Amazon HD for a bit but the music selection in high quality is terrible. Hopefully Spotify can fix this.

Are you guys okay with not finding the artists you like or the new releases in lossless format on these platform? Genuinely curious.

I’m humble so I only want everything and in hi rez.

4 Likes

I use spotify as my primary source of music other than listening to vinyl, so I’m ok with not everything being lossless because that’s basically where I’m at now, but obviously I would prefer for as many things to have a lossless format as possible

1 Like