🔷 Stax SRM-D50

This is the official thread for the Stax SRM-D50

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• RCA in, USB, Toslink, Coax in
  • Unspecified ESS dac

:red_circle: Stax Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews…

1 Like

I just ordered one of these. Open box, from headamp. We’ll see in a couple days!

1 Like

No problem driving the l300 limited with the SRM D-50.

I haven’t had any other energizers, but I would say that it sounds fantastic. Not sure what kinds of improvements I might see if I upgrade to something higher end - a bit doubtful that I’d see much.

Still comparing the internal dac against a Modi 3. Honestly, I think that I might prefer the internal dac, which is alleged to be a ES9018, but I’ve only found a couple places that mention the DAC.

On the digital conversion side, Stax chose to use the ESS ES9018 DAC. Renowned for its superb sound quality, the ES9018 is then fed to a ‘TI OPA1642’ ultra-low distortion op amp to ensure the delicate bitstream remains unaltered.

from https://www.analogueseduction.net/dacs/stax-srm-d50-electrostatic-energiser-dac.html

L300 LTD sounds amazing on it

2 Likes

Since the 95X has been my “gateway” to estat, I’m kind of wondering if I’ll find any worth getting something like an SRM-D50 or my fork in a little more for a tube like the Woo GES.

I do also want to own a stax lambda series someday.

STAX are a lot of fun for me so far. I had bought an Audeze LCD-X, and even though I thought bass was really important to me, I am very seriously considering selling it - lol.

I picked up the L300 LTD on ebay. I asked various sellers “did you do anything to protect the STAX from dust” before I bought from anyone. I only got my set from someone who said that they kept it the special anti dust bag. Someone else said that they don’t require it, I didn’t buy from them lol.

Yeah, the D-50 drives the L300 LTD really well. Not sure if this is true, but I heard that the energizer that came with the 95X was ‘lacking or something’ but honestly I have never compared them and have no idea.

1 Like

Anyone know if there is a way to disable the VU meter tho?