Strange audio issue/possible amp issue (right channel only)

Hi all,

Fresh to the forums and audio world and would like some assistance of this strange issue.

I recently bought a Schiit Asgard 3 straight from the US (I’m from Australia) and are experiencing 2 strange issue.

A bit of background of my usual set up:

After the first couple of days of using it, I notice a strong hum/electrical noise when listening through the headphone amp. After some research on multiple forums, speaking to audio stores in my city, and others more experienced in audio, came to my own conclusion that it could be related to or appear to be a ground loop issue.

I then purchased an iFi iDefender+ along with an iPower 5v power supply in an attempt to remove the ground loop, so far seems to have significantly reduced the noise, and the loud electrical noise/hum is mostly gone, only the slight bit maybe after 12 o clock on high gain.

However there’s a remaining issue:

From my right ear, with all the above headphones, I can hear this harsh, sharp, raspy sort of distortion, especially voices in videos/streams, or vocals in songs.

Just a really hard to explain sharp, uncomfortable raspy noise when sound is playing, mostly super obvious in vocals in songs/voices in videos, with loud enough music, and bass heavy or busy songs, it is not as obvious. it almost sounds like having an old Mp3, CD player, with crappy 3.5mm connection, and if you don’t plug it into the right position, the audio sounds like a bit of a buzz/static noise, while you still hear that it is someone singing/talking, its a little like that. Wish there was a way I can record it.

Tests I’ve done:

• iDefender+ & iPower on the USB cable from my Scarlett to the PC, reduce the initial ground loop type hum/electrical noise a lot if not all gone, but this right ear problem is not affected by it.
  • Changing volume/Gain doesn’t seem to matter it’s just easier/harder to notice, it’s noticeable even on low gain, less than 12 o clock on volume.
  • Changing source doesn’t matter it seems, switched to RCA to 3.5mm cable, into a 3.5mm to USB C cable to my mobile phone, no noise or other hum/distortions other than that raspy sound described in the right ear when playing something.
  • Switching power boards, different power outlets around the house, different power cable doesn’t help.
  • No source/no cables into the input at all, no noise what so ever.
  • Switching left and right side on my HE-4xx cable, the noise/issue switches from right to left.

Few interesting things I’ve found:

• Unplugging the right channel of the input RCA to the amp, leaving only the left channel, no issue.
  • If I pull the SE 1/4" headphone cable/plug from my amp out by about 25%, the sound is more “hollow” and less loud/intimate, but the noise is gone.
  • Most noticeable on DT 177x Go, then HD 598, then not as noticeable on HE-4xx, much harder to notice on AKG 712 Pro.
  • If I use RCA to RCA cable going from my Asgard’s Pre-out, into an Edifier S1000db, as far as I can tell the issue isn’t there on the right channel.

I’ve contacted Schiit support, but the time difference, response time through email will make this a little challenging, will see…

So all of these things so far leading me to believe it’s still some kind of distortion to do with my amp, and maybe even affecting the headphone jack, of course I know nothing about audio/electrical stuff to really say for sure, which is why I’m here for some much needed help. Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated. Feel free to ask me anything and I can try my best to clarify, thanks in advance!

Sure sounds like the A3’s headphone jack is culprit to me based on everything you’ve tried.

I think so… Unfortunately I’m too much of noob when it comes to anything electrical, or else I’d tinker with it or do some proper tests.

You’ve already ruled out the issue: The amp.

If a direct RCA from your phone to the amp causes an issue, it’s a problem with the amp. No other issue with anything else.

Just best to keep hitting up Schiit. Send daily follow up emails if you have to. Dunno what you guys can do, but the product isn’t working right.

Thank you, I’m waiting for a response via email at the moment! Hopefully the process is not too painful.

Another thing I’m noticing from the two different days I’ve tested this (only 1 test per each day)

The issue doesn’t seem to be there on cold start for the amp, like if the amp was off for x amount of hours, start it up, the initial x amount of minutes there are no issue, after a while it kicks in. (from rough estimate it’s probably between after 15 - 30 minutes)

Once the issue is present, if you go and unplug/plug it in elsewhere or turn it off and on, issue is still there. Only seems to be gone the next time it has a cold start, after being off for x amount of hours.

Happy to update that Schiit has gotten back to me and happy for me to Exchange the unit.

3 Likes

Not to overly necro post, but this thread really summarizes my exact problem. I’m having the same issue with two Asgard 3’s, (RMA’d the first one, second one is having the same issue.)

I was curious if you, or anyone else has ran into this on multiple units.