Struggling to find new headphones, please help!

assuming this is more of a joke? Not recommended for competitive gaming.

would sooner tell them grab tygr 300r and save money. Too much in the bass rumble, lacking a bit of clarity when it comes to footsteps and other placements, more of a fun headphone… not so much competitive gaming. It will work, but it absolutely will not be ideal imo

depends on how far you mean it’s a joke…
Screenshot 2021-03-31 130914
no but i agree with you, from memory i cant recall the imaging being good at all. KPH definitely not a joke though but i think i know how you mean

LOL I’ve had the same headphones and the Zeus kick the shit out of all of them

Although the Monoprice m1070 s kick some ass to

Yeah I flaked out on that one didn’t read the whole post LOL

I mean, the kph30i is a very good headphone for sure… just not for this use case… ksc75 and porta pro would be a bit better performance in this case.

all good, zeus is a very nice headphone… stays with me in my collection just not for the particular use case is all.

Hello all again

I bit the bullet and went for 3 hour drive to buy the 1990 pro! I was scared if i can’t use them at all because of the treble. Although when I first put them on i did hear the spike at some songs etc and after hd 598 it was bit harsh, but after listening music and gaming with them for 3 hours I enjoyed them more and more and didn’t notice the treble peak as something bad anymore. At this point I can’t be happier with this decision. It was risky but atleast after first “session” I’m not having any remorse of buying them, i actually had that / my doubts before I bought them and while I drove home.

Anyhow now I got a new problem… amp! I checked and my current amp runs 350mw at 32ohm, I have the headphones max everywhere but the amp is about 50% volume and if i want I could get it too loud, but i wonder if I’m missing on the headphones abilities with low power amp? I checked fiio k5 pro that’s at 1,5w at 32ohm. That seems quite alot more power (i very new to these amp / dac things). Now then I’m very limited because I live in Finland so there’s not that many options it seems for amps. I did find that fiio k5 pro, but also looked at topping
L30 + E30 Stack, That’s like 280e total and bit more than I planned to use on amping, but would that be worth it? Or should I get fiio for 160e. There’s also some other options but i don’t know what’s good and what’s bad since googling for advice people usually suggest the amps i can’t get.

So yeah I was planning on something like 150-200e for the amp, but if i get alot better for slightly more money I can stretch budget. I guess if i get warmer sound or so from it would be good for dt 1990pro?

Unfortunately can’t get this amp either…

As a competitive/faceit csgo player, I use SHP9500 with Harman EQ, they are the best at pinpoint enemies. Also have DT1990 and HD800. HD800 is the worst because the sound spread way too much and footsteps lose accurate position. DT1990 require EQ with CSGO because mids gets lost and it’s worse than SHP9500, so sometimes I feel it doesn’t give the same advantage as SHP9500. SHP9500 also require EQ.
You must take note that DT1990 without EQ have a very aggressive metallic timbre and when playing csgo, you need to use it at higher volume which becomes easily unbearable. DT1990 should be bought only for mixing and mastering. Is a M50X on steroids.
There are also lots of gaming headsets that work with csgo better than DT1990, like HyperX Cloud etc

Regardless of preference towards a narrower soundstage I have to dissagree with this part of your statement. I must ask from what direction is the cloud/ takstar pro 80 better than the 1990 in CS? Admittedly I dont play CS like at all. but I do play the somewhat similar rainbiw six siege as well as Valorant. and I fail to see where the takstar edges them out

Best? No. Good? Yea.

This happens mainly in very small fps with this headphone in particular it takes some adapting but it is annoying…

Curious how you figure this… the mids along with the bass ride the neutral line with the treble peaking up sharp. Only if you use the balanced pads or improper amp synergy should the mids sink in… out of the box the 1990 signature is just fine and it’s much more analytical than 9500 From my experience.

This depends on the person. I can crank my 1990 without problems or eq.

Highly disagree

This I absolutely disagree with… your welcome to your opinion but comparing the cloud against a 1990? Not even close… none of the gaming headsets get close to any of the headphones recommended for competitive gaming. It sounds like you need a more mid centric smoother bright headphone which the 1990 is not. 9500 is an airy smooth bright headphone but it’s nothing special in particular just fantastic In its budget

Recommend trying the sundara, helios, zeus, gl2k, or t1 2nd gen

I’ll throw the HE400se international version out there. It’s lowkey kinda holy shit good for the price and I think it’s a step above the Sundara for half the price. I honestly didn’t expect it to perform anywhere near as good as it does for the price but it absolutely does and I’m still not sure exactly why.

Never tried that one actually… wasn’t a fan of 400i 2020

me neither and i kept my older 400i as a reminder that just because its a planar, doesn’t mean it’s good.

Those are pretty good… you’d buy them new I assume?
There have been problems with the topping L30 at some point,
but I think they solved those by now?

You could also get away with the fiio k5 pro.
Another option could be ifi Zen DAC + Zen CAN if available.

I’d personally go with the fiio k5 pro… save money… buy on amazon to have good return policy.
Enjoy your headphones with plenty of power.
You could upgrade later down the line and sell the k5 pro again :slight_smile:
And keep your eyes open for second hand amps like
JDS Labs Atom, Liquid Spark, SMSL SP200 and such…

And congrats on the 1990 pro… sounds like quite the journey!
It’s a great headphone for sure.

Thank you and everyone that has chipped in and helped me here!

About the amps, i started to head toward fiio k5 pro yeah. Although I did find that I actually can buy schiit products (out of stock pretty much everything and no idea when more is coming), jds labs atom (99 dollars + 40 shipping) and the liquid spark 110dollars (this one had like 70dollars shipping). At the end those aren’t really more expensive than fiio so now bit unsure what I end up doing, but googling and watching reviews big time right now.

From those you mentioned, the JDS Labs Atom has some of the best measurements.
It would be a great starting amp for sure.

k5 pro is nice, but in comparison to the dedicated amps you listed? yeah, no it falls short big time.

if you care about measurements sure… but measurements don’t say much

as far as the amps go… liquid spark will give you added warmth in the lows and lower mids, presently clean slightly dialed in mids, and rolled treble however it’s quite intimate and doesn’t have that super clean neutral approach some people like… Atom is more reference grade neutrality with a very clean presence however it also has a slight bright edge to it which makes headphones brighter and can make detail slightly more apparent… its marginal but worth mentioning. Schiit tends to have slight tones of warmth and colorations but wider than that of the spark however not as clean and neutral as that of the atom… regardless atom is if I recall correctly the weakest of the entry level amplifiers… as far as spatial recreation goes schiit takes that one… detail wise it would be JDS until you start competing with asgard 3 over there… and personally I like geshelli more than JDS in the later price brackets

Comparing any of these to k5 pro the k5 will lose out in terms of sound quality and absolutely lose out in terms of power as its a combo unit. K5 Pro is a good starting amp/dac and will last a while till an upgrade seems more worth while… or you can just stick with it and never dive deeper

the frequency response of the JDS Labs Atom seems very flat.
I personally prefer an amp with low distortion and no coloration.
As far as I’m aware it’s not much lower power than the liquid spark.

Here is a review… measurements are not everything.
But they can tell you if a product is of good quality.
This seems to be the case for the Atom.

However, I’m not the type of person who can hear such subtle differences in tonality when comparing amps.

yeah, hence I said very neutral… in comparison to the others… the jds has the most flat frequency response to my ear.

ah makes sense then.

atoms a very good amp for sure, just depends on the preference though of course… hell i have seen others not choose the atom simply because of it’s build material.

the only two I really couldn’t hear the differences on was the magni vs the heresy… as if theres a difference there it must be pretty marginal… though going from spark to atom? absolutely can hear a difference

Measured the liquid spark has a super flat frequency response too tho… wondering where that tonality difference comes from.
I don’t own the spark tho… just wanted to point out that the Atom seems to perform better with technical things like distortion and such.