Studio headphones recommendations

Huh, didn’t know that lol, probably should have

Yeah I’m still in the indie film realm of things at the moment so surround mastering is usually done later in the production life cycle when it’s getting ready for sale or by the distributors when or if it’ll get picked up for release

Didn’t know what you were working with, so you should be just fine for mastering with headphones, although for higher budget mastering on speakers is going to be the better option (if you have a fully treated and dedicated room)

Alot of the stuff I mentioned is going to be kinda overkill, and imo if you get something like the r70x you would be set

Yeah for studio monitors I’m probably gonna be going with a pair of focal alpha monitors or the or hs7s

I would personally go for the focal alpha imo as I think the hs7’s are good and have been a studio go to, but I think the performance on the focals is better (unless you don’t want to spend more)

I live like 5 minutes away from a pro Audio store so their both really easy to get either
I’ll probably go with the alphas too

Do they have a wide variety of headphones? If you can stand the single cable, the ndh20 or dt1990 might be pretty good and they might have them there as they are pretty popular

They only seem to have the
dt990
dt1350 pro
dt770 pro in 250 and 80 ohms

Eh, none of those are really mixing/mastering headphones imo

They do have the clears tho

Well I would see if you can try the clears then, because they can be super neutral and with eq and are super detailed with great spatial accuracy

I’ve listed to other focal headphones before (audiophile though) and I loved them so il definitely check them out

1 Like

What have you heard so far from focal?

Stellia and the other closed back option

The elegia? That is closer to the clear, where the stellia is a more fun tuning. Also own the elegia, and it’s a great closed alternative

The pro audio store actually sells closed back studio headphones from focal as well.

The listen pro I’m guessing? I don’t think they make another studio closed back

The closed back other than the listen on their site is called the spirit pro

I think the listen pro is the newer version of the spirit. They are allright and more suited towards monitoring imo

I’ll consider the focal listen to buy along with the clear for monitoring of I do any recording for podcasts or in the field