Studio headphones recommendations

I’m looking to invest in a new pair of studio headphones and I was wondering if anyone knew of a pair with a detachable cable (3.5mm connectors to headphones preferably) that goes to each headphone. Every pro headphones with detachable cables I find seems to have a single connection to a single headphone.
Otherwise I might get the Neumanns or something similar.

I think a lot of people are waiting on a dt1990.2 too?

Focal clear. Excellent for mixing and mastering. Use them in my rotation alot

The professional version of the clear or the consumer one?
I’m not sure what the difference is beyond a 300 dollar increase.

I own the pro, but the only difference is the coiled cable and color scheme

1 Like

The hd600 is also very helpful for studio work as I use it to judge vocal and instrumental timbre to make sure my mix sounds organic, but right now they might be put out of my rotation because of the adx5000 I got recently.

Currently I use the clear, audeze mx4, and adx5000 in the main mastering rotation, and then try it out on other headphones I own.

Awesome. I work in film so these are all great suggestions

For film I would make sure you are following common film mastering standards, as they are different from music

For music production to what degree could someone with less budget work with quality headphone EQ’d to neutrality or some other reference, plus a few popular and inexpensive cans for reality checking?

I mean for inexpensive you can eq a dt880 600 ohm to pretty neutral and use that for production no problem, I still whip it out once in a while if I’m feeling like it

Also make sure to check a mix on crappy things too, as something apple airpods or earpods, samsung iems, car stereos, phone speakers, bluetooth speakers, and whatnot

Also a 650 is a great option as well, and I still know some pretty big budget engineers that still use a pair

DT 880/660 because it’s already closer to neutral so easier to EQ? Plus has good detail, dynamics, etc?

Pretty much yeah, kinda hard to beat at it’s price. Also a ton of knowledge on it because of how long it’s been in the market, so people have figured out what works best with it

Actually the audio technica r70x is great all rounder that is really good for studio work. Would choose it over the 600/650 if I could only have 1 300ish dollar can

Sonarworks reference 4 is also helpful at getting an effective eq easily. And if you have an audeze can you can use audeze reveal

Film mastering tends to be less rigid than music. Theres a general decibel standards for vocal music and SFX tracks. And something called a LUFS or LKFS scale to maintain general percieved loudness when coming in and out of commercials (which even then isn’t always followed like whenever you go to commercial break and the advert just effin blasts you and also less requirements for it in a streaming dominated ecosystem) the most common pro headphones for recording playback and mixing are headphones I already own, the sennheiser hd280 pro and… I dont know if it’s because they’re like 8 years old have like 1500 hrs of use but they are harsh. Especially on treble

Really? Most of the engineers I meet that do both get way more freedom working on music then film. I thought the workflow was also different and how you approach the audio. I understand you use LUFS or LKFS for loudness, but also don’t you master at louder more realistic levels that imo hurt my ears lol.

Generally I the 280 pro are more monitoring and light mixing headphones rather then main mixing and mastering from my experience.

1 Like

Also just wondering by LKFS do you mean BS.1770-4? I am familiar with LUFS but not LKFS. Is LKFS EBU R128?

vocals in stereo mixes in my experience need to be mixed at around -10 to -12 db. I’m not going to be doing surround mixes so I’m not sure what those standards are. Though I know getting the channel mixing right is exceedingly difficult and you have to do at least 3 different version. One in the studio. One for a theater and one for home video

From what I’ve been told is that lufs and lkfs are different acronyms for the same thing

Yeah, that is what I might be thinking of, as the people I know work in multichannel or with dolby surround or dts. I typically master at around -20 LUFS but it really depends on what I’m doing and mainly play by ear tbh. But I do like to keep my levels lower