(SUB-CABLE Q?)- RCA TO XLR TO RCA, Benefits?

Hello quick question,
*What (if any) is the benefit of running XLR cable as a sub cable from your .1 subwoofer RCA output.

1.is it a price thing and ability to run longer lengths? I’ve seen some 50+ subwoofer cables so I Dunno,
2.Does the XLR cable section of the cable, have less chance of letting interference in …or something, I’m still pretty new to XLR Connection / Cables.

Just wondering,
-Thanks

The main benefits of xlr are the ability to run long runs of cable because of the higher voltage (also more volume because of stronger signal), and the lower chances of interference because of how balanced audio works (find a couple of articles, because I can’t explain it as well as others). So if you have the option and budget to do so, and are running long run cables, need more volume, or have strong amounts of interference, then it would be worthwhile.

1 Like

Does this info still apply if your source is RCA, not XLR? so RCA -> XLR -> RCA in terms of power/signal/voltage? -thanks.

The source has to be xlr or another balanced connector like 1/4inch trs in order to receive any benefit, because the signal will only be single ended unless the source is actually balanced. This is also true on the receiving end as well. You have to have both a balanced source and balanced input on the receiving device to take advantage of the xlr cable and the balanced standard. The xlr standard does not magically create a balanced signal

1 Like

OK thank you,
I was just wondering b/c I Think (pretty sure) I saw in one of Zeos video he has an XLR cable to XLR-RCA Adapter then going to a subwoofer.

This is why I brought it up.

I Don’t know how or if I’m allowed to link his name to this post so he can answer.

oh well.
Maybe someone else will.

this is mostly used for convince and not necessarily to gain the benefits of balanced. It is typically more common to find a balanced xlr cable in these long lengths, and not rca, so in a strange situation you can do this to get a long rca, but its not recommended.

1 Like