Swans Speakers M3A and X6

Anyone else heard these? I got to hear them recently and they sound pretty great. It’s not often that you find a soft dome midrange at this price, and it also has a ribbon tweeter.

I also got to hear the X6, which not gonna lie was a not the greatest copy of a genelec imo. I didn’t like this one as much, but it was respectable. At that price though you could get some real genelecs that would be better imo

soft dome midrange?

and why is it rare to find this at a lower price?

Yeah, it’s a softdome driver (like alot of tweeters). It’s just uncommon to find these for this price with GOOD implementation. I really just associate a good softdome midrange with much more expensive speakers

1 Like

okay. what kind of tweeter is usually in the price range? hard dome?

also, seems the M3A are old…Swans has a MkII version now. LoL!

That is not the same company I believe, this company is Swans not Swan

Also the tweeter is a ribbon tweeter. The special thing is a large 2 inch soft dome midrange, where most speakers only use softdomes for tweeters. Also yes there are hard dome metal tweeters

nope…my typo.

Ah, yes but it’s a budget version with no real improvements from what I know

budget? I know they’re not as much…but advances often come in at better pricing on generation 2 of stuff. if it is truly budget, how so? no option to do side by side comparison,

that said, they’re a handsome speaker. what was the amp and how loud did you go? what music did you listen to for your demo?

Both are active monitors so they have their own amp. It got fairly loud to the point where I don’t think they would have any issues in a room. The music played was a real variety of whatever shuffle decided to give me

Also from the mk2 page

"Like its predecessor, the M3A, the M3AMKII is Swan’s wireless flagship bookshelf speakers created for today’s internet cloud media era. The main difference between the two is the M3AMKII is a little bit easier for us to build. For that reason, it cost a little less than the M3A but retains a lot of its sonic attributes. "

I’ve not heard there more recent stuff, the older Swans were highly regarded.
They were one of the companies that started the buy it unheard and return it if you don’t like it internet sales boom.

I’m a big ribbon driver fan… when done right

Yeah, I’ve heard some of the older super high end swans like the 2.3B or other higher end stuff. The M1 was pretty good when it came out as well. I was mainly impressed by the M3A because of the performance for the price and the fact that they were powered. But some of the designs look straight out of other manufactures book lol

Also yeah I have 2 speakers with ribbon tweeters now lol, can be very nice

My main stereo speakers have midrange ribbon drivers and a ribbon teeter.
My home theater has some older infinities with ribbon tweeters.

1 Like

Nice, I only have speakers with ribbon tweeters, haven’t had a full ribbon or a ribbon midrange

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM2.htm

Guess I can’t figure out how to make the image link work

I actually really like that design, I have not seen those before. What do you really like about them? And how deep do they dig, they seem like they could have a fair amount of bass output

If your curious what I have you can check my profile

They have a lot of bass, the bass driver design is actually kind of interesting.

It’s an active carbon fiber woofer with a passive driver just on top of the port, you can tune the mass of the passive driver to adjust the physical response of the speaker.
I’ve always been a huge fan of the speed of ribbon drivers. The clarity can be astonishing on certain tracks.

They are a little on the treble heavy side, not terrible but some sources can be fatiguing, I’m driving them from a lot of tubes, so it’s not much of an issue for me.

They aren’t particularly easy to drive under 100W/channel into 4 Ohms need not apply.

I don’t listen to the speaker much anymore, I don’t really have the space for a dedicated listening room anymore and it takes the amps a good 20 minutes to start sounding good as the tubes warm up. They were from a time when I was living alone and spent a lot of time just listening to music.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really have space for large speakers, so I have mainly stuck to bookshelfs until recently

That’s a lot of gear.
I assume you do production audio work?
Back in the 90’s/early 2000’s I wrote audio software among other things, I’ve wasted a lot of hours listening to pure sine waves to figure out where a crackle is coming from.
HiFi has always been an on/off thing for me, I had a large Vinyl collection, but changed countries in the mid 90’s left it all behind.
CD never really did it for me outside of casual listening, but I loved the sound of SACD when it was released (minus the dirth of content) and got back into it.
Then of course it was compressed audio and CD again for a long time.
But the new highres streaming services are making me want to get my feet wet again.

Yeah I do audio mastering on the side, but its not my main job (yet).

I haven’t really been into vinyl that much but really have a ton of CD’s, sacd’s, and digital files

1 Like