Talk to me about DIY tube amps

I was going off of topology similarity not performance/value for the money here

hagerman tuba is a good example, cayin ha-1a, mainline 1.1, some of the other amps already mentioned

just for clarity, does Mapletree have any transformer output tube amps?

I think the od300, sidewinder, and the ear plus hd II might be transformer coupled

1 Like

the OD300 is OTL actually.

The OD300 SET is not a otl, the special edition is octal duo is otl

my bad…I stand corrected.

They both call them a real similar name lol, their lineup is kinda confusing

i have not heard, but those are suppose to sound pretty good.

The Elekit amps are supposed to be good,
The only ones I’ve heard people talk about were designed for driving speakers though, and I have no idea how good the headphone out will be.

for that price, I would damn well hope so!

M0N, any thoughts on the Elekit vs the Crack w/Sb?

What headphones?

in general.

Their not really comparable, the Elekit is transformer coupled, the Crack is OTL.

transformer coupled means it’s compatible with more headphones…low and high impedance while OTL is mainly for high impedance, if I recall correctly?

Not necessarily, you generally design a tube amp backwards, given a load and an available transformer, what tube can you use where the circuit results in a reasonable load line.
Or given a load and a tube, what transformer do you need.
Change the load, and the load line moves, that might be a minor change or could dramatically affect the linearity of the amplifier.
There are ways to minimize the impact on the load line, but it’s always there, that’s why you see amps with Hi/Low impedance outputs.
Generally there are not a lot of generally available transformers that are good for headphone loads, so high end transformer coupled headphone amps will often use custom wound components.
I’d assume the elekit is designed to drive a 6 Ohm speaker load, it could still have a very good headphone output, there might be appropriate additional taps on the output transformer.
Without hearing hearing the amp, you’re not going to be able to tell how good it is.

1 Like

The Torpedo I is also out there.

http://beezar.com/pho-bzr/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=33&products_id=192

http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo/TORPEDOoverview.php

1 Like