Talk to me about HD 700's

Kinda interested in these because used on Ebay they’re quite tempting… are they massively different from my 660’s?..if so in what way, good or bad :beers:

I really didn’t like the 700, since I thought it had serious issues with the treble, and sounded artificial and had really strange soundstage. I personally would definitely take the 660s. The 700 just didn’t sound right to me. It was like a failed 800 prototype in my eyes

1 Like

As someone that loves beyerdynamic 990s and 1990s I found these sibilant like too sibilant was not into them at all when I auditioned them

2 Likes

Cool cheers buddy, maybe why they’re so ‘well priced’ secondhand :thinking:
So I guess if you’re looking for that type of separation, wide open soundstage with treble forward it’s the HD800/800s then?

1 Like

Yes, if you enjoy the sennheiser sound, the 800/800s is still a viable choice, and can be had on the used market for a fair price, since they have been out so long that the price has stabilized. I would just read up on the 800 vs 800s to get a good idea of what the differences are. I can’t quite remember what the original 800 sounds like vs the 800s, so I can’t give you input compared to the 800s

1 Like

Yeah I have an aural itch to scratch when it comes to that type of sound signature, it’s not an everyday thing as i’m mostly happy listening to say my Phantoms etc, but I do enjoy that clinical, separation, space and detail :nerd_face: that, that type of headphone offer.

How is the soundstage and seperation on the DT 1990s? Been eyeing them and the HD800 secondhand.

Have you listened to the HD800 before? If so, how do these two differ?

Same boat. I want Phantoms, 58X and either DT 1990 or HD 800. Grado’s I’ll keep so I can pretend I am old.

Well the 800s definitely still stacks up to the competition regarding those aspects. The high end headphone competition these days actually seems to be focusing more on warmer more ““musical”” sounds. Also should add that they take to a tube pretty well, as most senns do

1 Like

I think the 800s for mainly musical enjoyment, and 1990’s for more balanced sound. Although I feel that the 800 still has more detail then the 1990

1 Like

Well the 800s definitely still stacks up to the competition regarding those aspects. The high end headphone competition these days actually seems to be focusing more on warmer more ““musical”” sounds. Also should add that they take to a tube pretty well, as most senns do

That’s what I want, not bothered about ‘warm musical’ as you said they’re a dime/$1k a dozen…and yeah playing with tubes also floats my boat…

Mrs Ohm I really, really, really need these Sennheiser HD800s’s…Ok hun what colour are they? lol

2 Likes

maybe a dt 1990 might be up your alley if you want treble

Personally I wouldn’t recommend the HD800 without using EQ. The 6K peak on my HD800S is sometimes painful, and it’s even worse on the HD800.

What if you could get an 800 and to the super
dupont mod (or even on the s)? That might reduce the 6k more then the 800s

I’ve heard many people say they’ve had good results modding HD800. I’m fine using EQ, so it’s no longer an issue for me. If I could get a HD800 for cheap, I’d probably try the mod(s) myself. But since it was discontinued, that’s not likely.

What’s the 1990’s soundstage like? as i’m looking for something wide and airy.

1990s are quite wide - but still realistic - not laughable wide like 800s
660s has less wide stage

all 3 take tubes well - maybe the 660s the least

for the 1990s I prefer the A-Pads
for the treble peak there is a 3Dollar foam for AKG 240s
of course EQ helps a bit

1 Like

I love my 660’s especially when tube driven but the soundstage is pretty intimate (not a bad thing) I was looking for a similar sound but with a wide soundstage, happy to tube and if needed eq…I’m looking at a pair of hd700’s in near mint conditions for $220 at the mo if they stay below $300’ish I might have another pair of headphones to tweak and enjoy lol :+1:

2 Likes

For the 250 range, it’s not bad to get and tweak. Something to mess around with.

“For the 250 range, it’s not bad to get and tweak. Something to mess around with”…

That’s the plan, i’m not in a rush but if a pair comes up at the right price then i’m on it…another pair to experience, experiment with and use when the source and my mood fit.

1 Like