Tannoy XT8F/antiCable 3.1/Avantone CLA200

I’m so glad I bought them. Even with the stock jumpers they sounded damn good, however on some songs would have some transient shoutiness with vocals. That would be my only complaint, however that was only within the first 48 hours of play. They might have calmed down in that regard given more burn in, but I had matching jumpers to my antiCable speaker wires & I just couldn’t wait any longer. They solved the shoutiness issue immediately.

Now the antiCable jumpers did seem to set the midrange back a bit, seemingly thinning it out, but after listening intently, obviously giving greater detail over the stock jumpers in the midrange & treble while eliminating the shoutiness. I’d say the mids were pushed forward using the stock jumpers & sounded rather thick. I’m still not sure which I prefer, but I’m pleased the shoutiness is gone & haven’t tried the stock jumpers again.

How about bass? Theses are not at all hyped in the bass, so bassheads might not like them. I set them up well into my room, spread about 9 feet & aimed at my listening position, which happens to be on my bed, with my ears about 9 feet from the baffles. The bass isn’t lacking at all either, even with my big bed & carpet in the room. Its a big bedroom too. In the sweet spot, the kick drum & bass instruments are impactful, plenty deep, speedy & dynamic; with fine texture & timber of the low frequency, blending perfectly into the midrange. I don’t need no stinking subwoofer.

Lastly, I got the Avantone CLA200 as a starter amp, but now I can’t justify changing it out any time soon. I figure I’d have to spend at least $3k to really improve on it. One day, in a year or two, I might try a tube amp, but for now I’m happy as can be with this amp.

1 Like

Eliminating all the toe in, fixed the midrange from being a bit thin sounding. As it turns out, toe in with Tannoy’s is a bad idea. Learned that from a guy named Hanz.

1 Like

Game changer:

50hz LP @24db/octave, sub volume -12db, no EQ, phase 0.
50hz HP @24db/octave to my mains.

Everything sounds improved & noticably so. Mid clarity, texture, soudstage & imaging, plus effortless low end.

What changed my mind about getting a sub? The 1812 Ovature on CD from Telarc. My XT8F woofers bottomed out. Also for some reason at least 1 song on CSN Greatest Hits CD bottomed out the woofers, yet they handled everything from MJ just fine. Odd, but oh well. No worries now. Before my listening level would be 3oclock on my preamp. Now 9 seems fine.

1 Like

I am of the opinion that, unless your mains are TRULY full-range at volume, a sub (or multiple subs) are absolutely necessary.

My Tannoy XT8F where -6db at 34hz in full range.

My Tannoy Definition Sub is -6db at 19hz.

Me so happy!

1 Like

I didn’t notice it until a few days ago so I don’t know if it was there at first or not. My Tannoy Definition sub has a high pitched whine when little to no signal is present. If the overhead fan is on I don’t really notice the noise. I typically keep the fan on. I’m always hot, plus it’s above my old school amps, which get hot.

When I was setting it up, I thought having a 2 prong power chord was a design flaw, especially in a very expensive powered sub like the Definition. It is passing the noise to my mains as a hiss, but that might have been on the CSN CD. I’ll have to check. The amp for the mains has a 3 prong & it was dead quiet before putting the sub in the chain. I don’t know if the 2 prong is what is causing the noise as far as the sub itself goes.

I’m slightly disappointed at discovering this. The idea of sending the 75lb sub back is dreadful to me.