Teac NT-503 Dac/amp/network/bluetooth/upsampling/everything now on (mass)drop for 650$

Definitely interesting for an all-in-one solution.

still a bit pricy imo, but probably a solid unit

Interesting numbers.

• Maximum output level: 500 mW + 500 mW (32 ohms loaded) headphone out
  • Signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB (A-weighted, 1kHz)
  • Total harmonic distortion: 0.0015% (1kHz, LPF: 20Hz to 20kHz)

And ASR measured it. :slight_smile:

Good numbers but it is pricey for what it is.

Imo you could get a SMSL DP3 and whatever dac you wanted and whatever headphone amp and be better off dac and amp wise

Like you could get the smsl dp3, topping d50s or smsl su-8 v2, and a headphone amp like a jds atom and have a better setup for the same price. Or you could just skip the dp3 and buy a nuc or small pc to stream to for the price of the dp3 and have more options

I guess I am just not too fond of the teacs unless they get a fairly large price drop. If this was 400 it would be way more competitive

Yeah, I’m not ordering one, but when all I was searching for in audio were numbers, like DSD, khz, oversampling, etc., this was my endgame. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I fucking love upsampling, and this thing is kinda rare.
The NT-503 is the only thing I know with switchable on/off, and even 2x,4x,8x and DSD upsampling.

For cheaper than… an apparently outdated network player (this one), there’s also the UD-503 with the 192khz upsampling on/off option.

Just curious, why? I would typically say that you really need a good upsampler to actually benefit, and I mean really nice. I typically find that going bit perfect yields better quality with most dacs, unless you have a dac that preforms better at a higher bitrates and sample rates (not often)

It’s been a while… but years ago I was listening to mp3s, switched my audio interface to 192khz and my jaw dropped. :stuck_out_tongue: So I’m definitely curious about little things like Cambridge Audio Dacmagic etc.

I definitely don’t believe upsampling is snake oil or whatever. I mean, I did not know what was good sound at the time, downloaded 128kbps mp3s etc, and it instantly sounded different.

What was the interface set at before? And what interface? I don’t think upsampling is snake oil either, but windows typically diminishes the sound quality when you upsample with it imo from my experiences.

Edirol FA-66 audio interface, my old recording thingy. :stuck_out_tongue:
It is supposed to be able to even record @ 192khz, so I guess it’s good.

I mean whatever works, but still that’s strange that you noticed a quality increase

Trying it with my headphone out right now… full volume, RCA into audio interface, 192khz upsampling (stand-alone, not connected to a computer). Wow, I swear absolutely everything sounds fuller with the switch to 192khz.

I mean, one day I’ll find a way to record the headphone out and compare. But now I’m with Salomé Leclerc and the only word I can think about is “holographic”…

Why haven’t I retried this before, dammit, lol.
Soundstage and depth is multiplied, I swear. I freaked out like “am I going crazy?” because for a moment everything appeared to sound “better than reality”.

For people who don’t believe in oversampling, there’s also the possibility that my audio interface just sucks at 44.1khz and works at 1/4 of its power. But, holy shit. Screw it, just because of this tiny little switch, I’m set for life. It’s like this moment where I got a 1080p screen and realized “damn, with all this contrast and zoom, everything looks clearer than reality”. I feel the same now… with my T50RPs and my HD58Xs.

1 Like

Pretty much what I think is going on lol

Well wow, thank you very much for being doubtful about upsampling! I just saved like 500$ on new dacs/amps, just because I underestimated this damn little plastic switch! :rofl:

(Which is probably not just upsampling, yes)

And, uh, yeah, if my Denon AVR is supposed to do the same thing (192khz upsampling) going from “direct” to “stereo”… No way. I don’t hear much of a difference. Really subtle, and direct mode sounds cleaner.