Techno - Soundstage, Imaging, Immersion

Yeah, I don’t understand why. I was looking for DDJ-400s output information, but didn’t find any.

I also wanted to ask you how are HD25s, because I’m gonna need to buy cans strictly for mixing. Have you tried AIAIAIs?

I tried alot of DJ headphones, not AIAIAI tho.
I can tell you that the HD-25 are the most used DJ tool for some very good reasons:

• great sound isolation
  • not super deep subbass, but elevated bass & lower mid frequencies for the kick, which makes beatmatching easy
  • extremely durable and reliable, despite their tiny weight
  • easy for one ear monitoring with the adjustable right cup
  • they simply sound fun, despite not being neutral

I used the DDJ-400 for a while with HD-25, there was no issue at all.
HD-25 are quite efficient with 70 Ω because of their max sound pressure level of 120 dB

They are not comfortable tho… but usually peeps don’t wear them constantly while playing.

oh and i can wear a hat and silly big glasses if i wants, they’re on ear… that’s actually a plus
they fit most people and you can get a good seal… with over ears that can be tricky depending on personal fit

If you’re a bedroom DJ or stream (like most djs now i guess), you can of course pick something entirely different - which was my intention with this thread.
My favourite DJ streams 5 - 8 hours in one setting. He’s using Audeze LCD-XC Creator Edition and/or Campfire Audio Solaris in ears. That’s a price category tho damn…
But when he plays in a club, he’s using HD-25 instead of those expensive things.

lookt at him go :wink:

2 Likes

Do you have the regular ones or the pros?

regular, pros are supposed to be good tho

Alright, they seem to be pretty good set and parts are widely available, if some thing should happen. I think the only difference is that you get removable wires and extra cables with the Plus* version.

I personally don’t like mixing with big headphones, because I like to listen to the mix from speakers and my m40xs kind of get in the way. I’ve heard tho that mixing exclusively with HPs and IEMs is supposed to be better, cause you can listen to what you are doing more clearly. I’ve tried with T2s too, but that was a bit weird.

I have my chain configured in Rekordbox so that my speakers run through my DAC, so I think if you’d bother connecting your controller to a PC, that would solve the DDJ-1000 question.

DDJ-1000 functions the same as DDJ-400 - it’s not a standalone and always hooked up with my laptop.
The master-out sound is fine, the headphone sound is more of an issue. And I don’t know how to configure this to have the normal heaphone function from the DDJ, but a dedicated DAC/Amp for headphones. And honestly, I don’t really want to bother that much with it. Clubs usually have DJM-900nxs or Allen & Heath Xone 92/96 and those headphone amps are pretty good.

Mixing exclusively with headphones, IEMs is cool and works for the most part pretty well.
Especially in clubs with subpar monitoring/PA. Or when the subs blast so hard that you have diffculties hearing things. Hence why I like the HD-25, I put them on and shut off the noise from outside. But it can make you feel disconnected to the crowd or the vibe if you always keep them on.
It’s personal preference I guess and at home a completely different thing.
I prepared a rough set once that I felt very confident about in terms of transitions, mood.
Turned up to the club and had 8 huge GAE subs hammering the DJ booth haha.
Had to adjust and also rely on the headphones alot. Felt so different from the clean home setup with monitors and less earthquakes.
In the end it’s whatever works for you with the requirement of very good sound isolation.

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I think Charlotte de Witte uses AiAiAi TMA-2’s

No clue about the configuration.

yeah she uses those, but that won’t tell you if the AIAIAI could be your thing :yum:

Yeah I’ve seen multiple artists using them, she even has her own special edition.

I’ve wanted to ask the same question. Which is the best headphone for DJing, but all I see is people using either HD25s or AIAIAIs :smile:

You’re asking the wrong question:
you should ask, which is the best headphone for your DJing

edit: just get the HD25 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Wanna try IEMs soon, want a punchy & tight bass… subbass is not the highest priority.
Anyone who has some of these? Those would be for techno,hip hop, jazz mainly.
My current are the CCA C10, don’t hate them, but the highs are a little much for me.

Just graphs - doesn’t tell that much, but can be a good indication maybe.

After looking at L3 and FH3, i decided to order a set of Final Audio E2000. I let you know how they sound for techno.

These look interesting… very simple design that resemble earbuds. I’m intrigued.
Sadly can’t replace the cable.

some people seem to prefer blon bl-03 and i gotta check prices for europe

Just got the Final E2k today. Listened to some music on it, mostly techno but other genres also.
They have a nice bass but not bloated, very detailed but not fatiguing. Probably not the best mods but I’m okay with that.
They are super light and extremely comfortable.

1 Like

According to Final’s website they recommend 150-200 hours of burn in even though they also state that burn in (aging) is not proven to be useful :rofl:

burn in - aka “keep your product until return policy runs out”

3 Likes

I’m falling more & more in love with the AKG K371 when listening to or mixing techno.
Going to test the Fidelio X2HR, which might become “pleasure cans” just for listening to music.
The AKG feel very tight & have some punch in the lower & mid bass regions.
It’s interesting since I didn’t have this gut feeling with the K361 that I used for a while.

1 Like

Also received the second hand Fidelio X2HR today.
Pretty fun headphones. Soundstage & Bass, some tiny sibilance at… i dunno like 5kHz or so.
Works well with techno too. I wouldn’t mind even tighter & punchy kick, but it’s good.

Think I’ll keep the AKG K371 & X2HR as my closed/open for now.
The HD558 are still the most comfortable thing I’ve ever had,
but the X2HR seems better in almost every other way.

With some luck I’ll receive the Fiio FH3 tomarrow.
Pretty excited to be honest, but not overhyped… only have my budget CCA C10 to compare anyways.

Add the Gold Planar’s this track is just huge and wide, I boost 2 db at 110, I prefer my kicks there, I prefer making techno at 138 but I can dig this.

Ever considered sneaking in some sub-bass under the kick just for us crazy few here?

1 Like