TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

I’m getting some dekoni X00 lambskin pads to see if they are like the stock pads but more comfortable. Also those cups are gorgeous. Are they quilted maple?

Edit: I took a good look at those pads you linked. Are they just knock off ZMF Oris?

I have many Dekoni pads for other headphones and I’m not a fan of the sheepskin. I have a pair for my Elex. Let me know how you make out.

Thank you. Yep, this pair have quilted maple cups.

Little known fact… The pads I linked from Amazon are the same pads ZMF use. I’ve bought many different pads from them and they identical to the pads on my ZMF headphones. I actually was quite pissed when I’ve purchased replacement pads directly from ZMF for three times the amount Accessory House are selling them for. CHECK THEM OUT if you’d like to save money.

These are the perforated pads on the Aeolus…

https://www.amazon.com/Perforated-Sheepskin-Replacement-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B07X2F29B2?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

4 Likes

I see you had the mahogany. Did you like them? Did they respond well to the mods like the ebony?

The two TR-X00s I’ve modded have both been Mahogany. I got the first from Drop for 320 bucks. The second I got from Ebay for 300. To my knowledge, they are all the same except for the different wood cups. I spent almost 700 for the Ebony new on EBay. I purchased all of these after Drop announced they were discontinuing them, and after Josh and Resolve’s reviews.

I did prefer the Ebony cups vs the Mahogany, but it was more aesthetic than anything. The stock Mahogany sound great as do the Ebony. There is very little difference in sound. I just prefer the dark Ebony cups vs the Mahogany.

2 Likes

What didn’t you like about the dekoni sheepskin?

Also what ZMF pads are the first set of pads you linked?

Great questions!

Where do I begin? Let me just state that this is just my personal opinion. Here’s a pic of my Dekoni perforated sheepskin for my Elex…

dekoni

The Dekoni pads destroy the sound of the Elex for me. Notice how the leather has a very glossy surface? They feel more like plastic than they do sheepskin. They don’t breathe much either. I have rubbed these pads with my hands for months with the hopes that they would soften up but they just haven’t. They’re just not to my liking.

The pads I am using on my modded TR-X00 headphones are the same ZMF use on the ZMF VÉRITÉ Closed. Not sure if they use that same pad on any other headphone.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard good things about pad swapping focal stuff. Hopefully the X00 pads will be what I’m looking for. I’ll report back when I get them. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

so beautiful whats wood is that?

Those are the Monkeypods that were getting passed around before release…

1 Like

It seems to me the TR-X00 Ebonies got a huge wave hype just when there were bout 3 left… are the E-Mu Teaks the nearest comparable (even superior?) thing? (Assuming those vm still be found!)

I grabbed the TH-X00 Purplehearts at a good price, figuring I didn’t have a basshead‘s cans and they could fill a gap. Attached cables and all. But I was intrigued by the Ebonies.

this post almost made me commit to a pair. But from what I gathered there is still the major issue of the hinge breaking.

1 Like

I have owned the purple hearts for about 6 months now and I can assure you that the only way the hinges can break is if you handle the headphones roughly. When I say roughly I mean picking up by one cup all the time or putting down with out a lot of care. Basically just treat these like the $500 “luxsury” headphones they are and not like a pair of $100 work horse cans.

1 Like

The ebony has the most refined tuning out of the bunch imo so that’s what people go for if they can. The purplehearts are very v shaped and just plain fun. The mahogany sits in the middle

1 Like

I don’t really feel the purple hearts to be all that V shaped. Looking at graphs and from what I hear the mids seem pretty well presented and even-ish with the rest of the frequencies (accept for a dip at ~3k). Still overall a V shape but a more mild one in my opinion.

I mean the bass is pretty boosted though, so I would agree that they aren’t that v shaped, but they do have the most bass quantity out of the lineup

1 Like

Got it (at least from reading here) — in terms of the distinction between the three. The unavailability ofbthe Ebony and the “clearance pricing” on the TH-X00 led me to the most bass heavy option… but still wondering if I should keep an eye out for the E-Mu Teaks or something else as a more refined option.

A decent amount of people prefer the teaks to the ebony so yeah I would definitely consider that

2 Likes

How does something like the emu teak compare to stuff like the focal elegia, or zmf’s closed backs?

According to Mark Lawton, all three Drop versions of the TR-X00 use identical drivers (about 1 Tesla). The difference in sound is caused by the wood used.

The Fostex TH0-900mk2 use a a more powerful diver (about 1.5 Tesla).

I’ve been looking into the Lawton mod. Marks a good guy that produces imo the most gorgeous wood cups.

Edit: Denon and Emu use the same Foster bio cellulose drivers as Fostex. Emu uses the lower powered drivers such as the TR-X00’s, Denon uses both depending on which model in their line.

2 Likes

The teak has better bass imo, with a more natural timbre compared to the elegia. The elegia is more refined sounding with better overall detail and dynamics and sounds more like an open back. It’s more preference tbh. Haven’t heard a zmf closed so can’t comapre

3 Likes