The Crack Spot - Szymon's Impressions Thread

Your YouTube stats will tell you how long people usually stick around and also which parts of the videos get the most viewers.

As someone who makes reviews that are normally far too long, usually only a few minutes are the parts responsible for 90% of the view count.

1 Like

Yeah, I use the stats, but still… Nice to hear there are people who watch it all and enjoy it.

On another note… Finished creating my neutral target!

This, in my opinion, is how a correct pinna gain region should look like. This is how Japanese brands like Final and Sony often tune.

I have found that IEMs need a bit of a bass boost on a graph to sound truly neutral, and through lots of experimentation, this is how it should be done to truly sound like a live performance, and not thin like the Harman target does.

No wonder I consider A4000 the best tuned IEM I have ever heard.

yes, but that poor sub roll-off aint following that train of thought lol.

1 Like

Well, this is a neutral target, meant to sound like a live performance.

I think that IEMs cannot reproduce the visceral sensation of subbass that a good subwoofer can, so a boosted subbass sounds weird - the sound is too strong, your body expects to shake, but it doesn’t. Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it - just that it doesn’t sound correct. Fucks with the perception of midrange too much.

The bass boost I added is just to make bass guitars and bass drums sound realistic. I found that with a flat bass shelf (what I was aiming for previously) or a sub-focused bass boost, these instruments sound recessed in the mix compared to how they would at a live performance. The bass boost in my target is a product of (no joke) probably hundreds of hours of tweaking to make the sound natural without boosting the bass even half a decibel above neutral.

Though, the sub-bass isn’t really rolled off - it’s at 61 dB, so a decibel above most of the midrange, 2dB above the lowest point. It’s just not boosted.

If I were to tune an IEM for pure enjoyment, I would have boosted the bass by 2-3dB like so:

But I still think that if you want to preserve natural sound, bass should peak at around 80Hz. If you don’t care about things sounding “correct” and natural, I’m totally fine with raising the subbass nowadays, as long as the 80-200Hz area is the same as it is in my target. In fact, I’m currently buying an IEM that graphs like this:

You haven’t tried Timeless. I listen to a lot of electronic music and they push so much air. Plus with electronic music there is no true live sensation to recreate so that’s perfect for those genres.

The thing with trying to match a “live reproduction” is that every live reproduction is different. It depends on the sound systems used, the venue of the performance, the FOH tech etc.

Groups that I have seen multiple times sounded different each time, depending on all of the above and the way that the group played that night. I have done front of house for a group one night and another tech another night and I’m sure they were clearly different.

Even acoustic instruments sound completely different depending on the room, just listen to an acoustic guitar in a closed room and then in the open air.

Even amazing concert halls sound different from one to the next. Having worked at the Royal Opera House in London, I can say that an orchestra sounds completely there to, let’s say, the Liceu in Barcelona.

All I can aim for is to reproduce the most pleasant sound to me personally, one that I feel is tonally correct in my brain, and that is again something that will be different for each person.

6 Likes

In not OG at all, but I totally relate to your video. I switched from headphones to iems too. Curiosity for me in, price and price-to-performance ratio made me stay.
You mentioned something but maybe didn’t emphasised it : the market is moving very fast for iems. That makes it very interesting to follow.

Or better yet - the Letshouer Z12 with additional EQ subbass boost.

Shit’s wild yo

3 Likes

I believe it!

1 Like

I tried the S12, I stand by it. It’s good, but nowhere near a set of subwoofers in a nightclub obviously. I would definitely want to try the Timeless though, for sure.

Fair enough, as Coldplay said, nobody has said it’s an easy task to make a target based on that :stuck_out_tongue:

I am specifically aiming for an averaged out version of all the open air (mainly rock) concerts I’ve ever been to.

Yo!

What are some IEMs (might be headphones and earbuds too, but mainly looking for IEMs) that were hyped in the past and aren’t talked about much anymore?

I want to create a series of videos about how older IEMs stack up to the newer stuff (already done one for the Blon 03, and another IEM coming tomorrow).

First purpose of these videos is to put in context that just because something is newer, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better (eg. Chu vs E500).

The second purpose is that once these go on sale or show up on the used market, people might be wondering how they stack up to the new stuff, but all the reviews they find are from 2-3 years ago which is a lifetime in this hobby lol

I got these on the list so far:

The only requirement for a video is:

• Be at least 6 months (preferably 12+) old
  • Have had hype in the past
  • No longer has a hype train going (so the Blon wouldn’t have been eligible before the DQ6, Mele and CRA all “replaced” it)
2 Likes

I quite like the BL-05 and actually can’t listen to the 03. Would be interested to compare them.

DT200 is also intriguing and maybe GD3A.

Have you thought about comparing SSR to Ola (old vs new)?

1 Like

It all depends on the music you listen to.
I was listening to metal with Timeless for someone on this forum and obviously there is no rumble but instead a warm enveloping bass. Because this music doesn’t have sub-bass.

But listening to electro music or hip-hop is where it really shines.

On a separate note, and it might be controversial, a lot of people say that the Chu doesn’t have any bass but it has actually a good quality bass, especially if the song HAS bass.
I was listening to this in Chu and it sounded good.

Those are all interesting shouts.

I thought about comparing SSR to the Chu and Heart Mirror. Ola would be a great comparison if someone sent me one, but as a rule I never spend money on Tanchjim stuff anymore.

Agreed 100% on the first part. I listen mainly to rock and metal so midbass is my jam.

The Chu does have a lot of subbass, even too much in my opinion lol. But it has no midbass.

1 Like

Agreed. I should have been more clear that I was talking about sub-bass only in this case.

1 Like

I think @Tonytex_Teixeira should be able to rattle off at least a handful of IEMs that fit these criteria!
My two cents:

• Aria
  • Tinhifi P1?
1 Like

Oh man, I just bought Tin P1 Plus and it’s so good!! Szy, you have to try it.