The Crack Spot - Szymon's Impressions Thread

I’m sorry this turned into a long ass shitshow for you :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

All good thanks.

In the end as long as my driver’s don’t get screwed up being transplanted so much and the resin shell comes out ok I still believe things happen for a reason.

The KL let me hear a different tuning and made me realize I like a bit more sub bass focused set so this was a good opportunity to change that.

Still think I will try to find a set of previously enjoying Mahina as I really like the Canon bass and overall very smooth presentation.

Cheers JS

1 Like

Oi lads!

So I kinda started the “still worth in 20xx” series with the Blon 03 Review, but this is the official start, looking at an IEM than in my humble opinion deserved more attention than it got.

Not that I think it was very good. But certainly a fun set to try.

Let me know what you guys think of the new, shorter format!

3 Likes

All the things

Since my phone (that I use as a camera) broke last weekend and I’m still waiting to get it back, there will not be a video this week (I’ll do 2-3 videos the next week depending on if the care package from @nymz arrives!), I decided to take a moment to talk about all the stuff.

Schedule

Image Credit: Kropka Audio

The current schedule for reviews looks like this:

1. iBasso AM05
  2. Moondrop Chu
  3. Truthear x @crinacle Zero*
  4. TRI x @hawaiibadboy KAI*
  5. Moondrop Blessing 2
  6. Moondrop Starfield

The items market with * have not arrived yet so the reviews might come later, but I’m so damn excited about these two that I will get to them ASAP when they arrive.

HD600 review postponed indefinitely as mine has developed channel imbalance (probably cable fault, right side has no bass most of the time) and I need to send it in for repair. Was supposed to be right after Chu, but well, it won’t.

Choosing a reference source

Image Credit: audiostereo.pl

As of right now, my IEM reviews have always been done using my M1 Macbook Air’s headphone jack and the Apple Dongle on my iPhone. These sources sound identical, have no problems powering IEMs and are very clean and neutral.

(Headphone reviews were out of the iFi Zen Dac)

However, my mate @nymz has pointed out that some corners of this hobby really care about the source side of the review. I’m a bit of a source memer myself and I think the Apple Dongle is the perfect device because everyone and their mother has it, and I really care about portability (I’m ADHD and I don’t like sitting down at my desk, prefer testing gear in my bed) but let’s see what the community consensus is:

Which source should I use for IEM/Earbud Reviews? You can cast multiple votes!
  • Apple Dongle is fine
  • Shanling UA5 (Sound quality is important, but don’t sacrifice convenience for us!)
  • Chord Mojo 2 (Sound quality is VERY important, but don’t sacrifice convenience for us!)
  • Topping DX3 Pro+ (Just get the cheapest, well measuring desktop DAC/AMP)
  • Topping E30+L30 Stack (Just get the cheapest, well measuring desktop Stack)
  • Topping E50+L50 Stack (You need Balanced, bro!)
  • Topping A90D+D90LE Stack (Reviews with subpar gear shouldn’t count!)
  • Schiit Magni 3+(+)Modi 3E Stack (Grab something popular!)
  • iFi Zen Dac (Who cares if it sounds warm, it sounds goooood!)

0 voters

1 Like

Some BT dongle? Q5k, BTR5/7, GoBlu, UP5 maybe

2 Likes

I have the BTR5 and use it a lot for testing (not the final review process though, as I’m too paranoid over Bluetooth) :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally, a good fucking review!

I had like 3 different attempts to review this IEM (iBasso AM05) but ended up deleting both videos, because the first one felt like I wasn’t giving this IEM enough praise, and the second felt a bit like mindless shilling and I ain’t about that.

But this video… This I’m proud of. The second half especially. Some jokes in there, but mostly just me gushing over the best IEM I have ever heard (and I did hear the Blessing 2s, the Monarchs and the Z1Rs of the world).

If I get 10 likes on this post I might do a full writeup on them here for people who prefer reading to YouTube. ;>

14 Likes

that’s 2 right there, only 8 left :blush:

1 Like

Appreciate it, 5 more to go haha :smiley:

I haven’t watched the video and not sure I’ll get a chance, so you got a like from me!

I’m especially interested in how an IEM that graphs that way could be a favorite, not just ok for very partiuclar cases. It seems like the low end is flatter than even a lifelike/natural representation would require, with has the double action of not being there to balance out all those peaks later on?

1 Like

9 down. Almost there, people!!!

2 Likes

We got the 10!

Gonna go to sleep now and do the writeup tomorrow morning :call_me_hand:

I definitely do think the bass is recessed in the mix compared to what I would prefer, but the midrange and technical performance are so good that they beat any other IEM I have listened to so far. I am really curious to try the Campfire Ara, that one graphs sort of similarly, if it manages to improve the bass and treble it might legitimately be endgame for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Everything going to shit this week and it’s only Monday.

My TRI x @hawaiibadboy KAI?
Stuck in a sorting centre in China for two weeks already.

Another mystery IEM I am getting in for review?
Same thing. 23 days since the last update.

My HD600?
The cable broke and I have to send it in for warranty.

My Zen Dac?
Developed severe channel imbalance and I have to send it in for warranty.

My iPhone, which serves as the camera I record my videos on?
I broke the back glass last week. Then I got it fixed.

Today, laying on my desk at work it spontaneously starts doing this:

So I have to send it back in for repair. Hopefully I will have it back by Friday, but don’t expect a new video until the weekend. I had some bangers ready to record, including my Chu review, Tin T2 retrospective and first impressions on a bunch of new stuff.

I even had an idea for a series of videos I could pre-record and post every week so that there’s never a content drought on my channel.

Didn’t manage to do even that before this phone broke.

And despite having just paid $80 for the repair and there being absolutely no fault of mine in this, they want me to pay full price for the repair again. That’s money I could have spent on gear to review.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Well I guess the good news is, for those of you who prefer my old style of written reviews to the videos I do now, I am going to cook something up for you in that time. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Dang, hopefully all of your bad luck is coalescing together now so you have a run of the good stuff in the coming weeks!

2 Likes

I hope so. I have a bunch of hype IEMs and buds coming in from @nymz, the KAI and maybe I’m going to start working with one of the Chifi stores soon. Things are looking up long term.

Just got to survive the next week or two.

2 Likes

Chill bro :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol I’m the obsessive type, so as long as my gear keeps being broken I’ll be grumpy, but instantly back to normal when I get it fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Return of the Kings

The Five New Nuggs

Sorry for the terrible photo quality, my phone is still in repair… But as a récompense, you lads will get the First Impressions of all those before YouTube Folks do :wink:

6 Likes

Is that TKZK Wave?

1 Like