The DEALS thread

thinking about getting the m40x. just to know what people are talking about on this forum, they seem to be pretty popular. the m50x is pretty hated, even by zeos. think i’ll skip that one lol.

It’s just that it is so peaky and unpleasant in the treble that it doesn’t make for a good listening experience.
I see you went for the Nighthawk Carbon! I hope you like them. They are my favorite headphone and as of now my daily driver. They do have a very unique sound. I have yet to try anything that sounds wider than them. The imaging sounds 3D in a way, like it is coming from different directions. They have nice tight sub bass, not anything huge but just a nice bump. I also think they have great detail. Highs are never harsh.

The m50x had a lot of hype from the objectivist crowd at one point, so there is a lot of backlash from that.
It’s not a terrible headphone (I have one somewhere), but I’d take the m40x over it.

Yeah, the m40x is more pleasant for music listening. If I had to get a motioning headphone, it would be the akg 371 or dt880 600 ohm now (in the price range of the m50x and better imo)

199$ atm

ls50 mini black on black on sale for 853.48$ atm on amazon

899 Canadian on Amazon. Steal of a deal.

damn only if I weren’t buying a laptop for myself

laptops get better / cheaper quickly…so if you have one already, buy the speakers!

My laptop’s old, heavy and falling apart I need better one

1 Like

well, you live in Canada…PM me your preferences and I’ll see if I have anything in your price range. I sell this stuff for a living in Canada. :wink:

Cool man thanks I might save up a bit more my wallet is taking a beating this season

1 Like

Kennerton is having a holiday 25% off sale featuring this special version of the Vali 2019 which I am drooling over.

If you’ve been considering a Thror, Threk, Odin, Vali or Magni and you’re not completely broke from holiday shopping :raised_hand:, now is the time.

2 Likes

Do not tempt me, I’ve already dropped >3K on headphones and a DAC since declaring I wasn’t buying anything else this year.
Clearly I have no self control.

Can we get an update on the Magni’s…

2 Likes

Keep in mind my closed-back experience is limited to the Neumann NDH20’s, Modhouse Argon, AT m40x & Monoprice Retro.

The Magni are spectacular. One of the few audio purchases (I beat myself up constantly) that I do not question. I have no desire for any other closed back.

On any given day they could supplant the Vali has my favorite headphone. Very detailed and a nice, balanced tone that does everything well. Super punchy. I find myself going back to them all the time to get that punchy impact. They remind me of a closed back Hifiman HE-560 but with a thicker sound in the treble. Sound stage isn’t like the Argons but it’s really nice. Best way I can explain it is when I wear a closed back headphone, no matter how nice it is, I crave an open back. When you put these on the sound stage is so pleasant that after your brain makes the initial adjustment, you don’t notice these are closed and I find I don’t feel like they are a compromise at all.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending the Vali because I think they are for a certain type of listener. The Magni I would shout from the rooftops to everyone to buy a pair.

I’m terrible at describing sound, but if you have specific questions I haven’t addressed, I’ll do my best.

Edit: I tend to focus on the sound above all else. These are not the most comfortable headphone. You have to fidget with them and hope you get a good fit/seal. The sound more than makes up for this, however.

1 Like

I was seriously considering the Vali’s, at one point, my decision to focus on valve amps in the short term, really ended up pushing me towards the ZMF phones.
The Magni is more interesting to me that the Vali, largely because I’m still trying to get a good feel for what closed backs can do. I have a pair of Eikons on order, so maybe after I’ve had a chance to put some hours on those.

2 Likes

Ikko OH10’s for $160. I just gave my OH1’s to my brother for x-mas, so I may need to jump on these.

2 Likes

I’m really happy with them. They just have such a lush, premium sound. Not as detailed or punchy as the Magni, but great sound stage and just a rich, bassy sound overall. The vocals are up front which I didn’t expect…

I’ve only tried the Magni & Vali so far from Kennerton, but I’ve been impressed with their ability to not overdo any aspect. They seem to have a great ear or judgement to know just how far to take something without overdoing anything.

That headband isn’t great. It needs a swivel.

RG, you didn’t PM me. LoL!

I suggest you do as all the current deals end on the 31st…

Xyler, what 25% discount do you speak of? I see nothing on Schiit’s website.

1 Like