The MiniDisc thread

I’m curious if there’s anyone on this forum that is still into MiniDisc, and/or anyone here that actually knows about MiniDisc. I feel like it’s a format that so many people had no idea it exists, yet I find it to be a cool little piece of audio history.

5 Likes

I also have somewhere this Sony Mini Disk with attachable batterie chamber, if I remind correct.
Loved Mini Disk for the functions and portability
a few weeks ago I bought a Koss Portra Pro for my wife(baecause of good old times) and went on chatting with a friend(we both over 40) about walkmen and these Mini Disc Players.

Have to search mine and the 2 discs I had as teenager.

1 Like

The record feature is so useful even today with streaming services all over the place. I feel like it was ahead of it’s time and it’s a shame it so many people don’t really know about it.

It’s an excellent live recorder with an appropriate stereo Mic. Mine is a Sharp portable I bought in Japan in '95. I used it to record myself practicing (I was a musician at the time). The 20-bit 44kHz sounds notably better than compact disc standard, ironically. I’m considering digitizing my vinyl with it, but my TT needs some TLC first.

Thanks for opening the thread! Nice to hear from others with the tech.

1 Like

It’s amazing how so many people have no idea this format exists. I show it to random people and they look at me like I have 10 heads.

1 Like

Minidisc is the reason I found this forum and started getting into audio equipment! I recently found my old MD player and some CDs. Needed some headphones to listen to my old discs, was living the bluetooth only life, and so my journey began. I’m really happy with my setup and I have Minidisc to thank!

1 Like

Ha, wow. I had no idea people were still into MiniDisc? I had a standalone Sony MiniDisc player back in… I guess this would have been '97 or so? It was super cool.

Edit: This is the player I had:

2 Likes

I’d love to get my hands on a unit like that, right now only have a portable

Dope! Yeah I had/have a portable player/recorder, MZNF610

419K3QTAT9L.AC_SX425

Its a netMD model so I can hook it up to my PC to transfer Mp3s, dont really use that function as it has its own set of headaches, classic Sony software. I now use it to edit my disc, update the track names and organize. I picked up a stand alone unit with a portable player, my netMD stays on my desk for editing, standalone for recording from my PC, and I can use the portable player on the go. I really like this set up. Its crazy how much tech these things pack in such a small form factor. Bonus I get to outhipster my friends :stuck_out_tongue:

Portable player:

Standalone unit:

1 Like

If you have the time ebay has stand alone units that you can snag for a reasonable price, just have to keep watching. If you are in NA just make sure to filter out the listings from Japan, you’ll find some real gems only to be crushed by import taxes and delivery delays!

1 Like

Yeah when I finally clear out some space l, I’m definitely gonna pick up a standalone unit

1 Like

Great video by Techmoan about the format and the different players that he has tried.

3 Likes

Saved, will have to watch later this evening. Thanks!

I really liked my time with MiniDisc! I’m too young to have grown up with them, but my dad surprised me with a really nice Sony player several years ago that he picked up for $5 from a garage sale, along with about 15 blank, SEALED discs. I didn’t really know what it was, so it wasn’t until a few years ago that I finally plugged it into my stereo system and tried it out. It was so much fun! I had been into cassettes for about 2 years at that point and had a method of recording those, so I set up the same gear to play music into the unit and burn it on the discs. I’ve filled about 5 so far with various playlists. Definitely a dead (mostly dead) medium though!

1 Like

Awesome! Glad your are enjoying, it’s a neat hobby. I’m hooked.

Fantastic video! Watched last night, does a great job in explaining MDs history/progression.

1 Like

New kitchen set up! Ended up snagging a second deck to hook up in the kitchen.

1 Like

I’m looking to buy an MD player/recorder, just for the nostalgia. I used to have one many many years ago.

Probably the MZ-N920, or the MZ-R900.

What I really want is the MZ-RH1, but sellers are asking for ridiculous $$ tbh.

Is there any place better than eBay to find one of these?

2 Likes

Yeah those are spicy. I got my stuff all from eBay, had to set up some searches and haggle but i was able to snag my stuff for a good price. Its given me a new appreciation for physical media, and I feel cyberPunk af when I go and switch up discs. My collection now includes: two stereo units, a portable player, and a net MD portable player. Honestly I would say set a price and try and find something to test it out. If you do find an alternative to eBay lmk!

1 Like

I ended up buying two 920s from Japan’s Yahoo Auctions. Excited!

1 Like