The Stoner music lounge

Great stoner rock bands:

Queens of the Stone Age
Kyuss
Sleep

2 Likes

QOTSA…started Stoner but ended up Grunge/Rock.

The Enid
Ozric tentacles.
Nightmares on Wax.

To be honest, when you’re stoned all music sounds great :smiley:

1 Like

Dropping my stoner playlist here synced with soundiiz. (1045 tracks)

Tidal
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/06c859cd-60a2-4fca-a7be-b8549c7cf913

Qobuz:
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/14795417

3 Likes

The first thought I had was back in the day we would get ridiculously stoned and go watch a live Lazer show in the California Academy of Science 's star theater done to Pink Floyd 's “Dark Side of the Moon”. I remember the sound system was killer. As mentioned, the Lazer show was performed live so it was different every time. That was a lot of fun. We went often!

1 Like

TRUTH. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So I heat a lot of “stoner rock” albums and some sound similar while others sound nothing a like so what makes a "Stoner Rock” album?

1 Like

It’s music that sounds good when you’re baked. :slight_smile:

Seriously, here’s the definition per Wikipedia:

Stoner rock, also known as stoner metal or stoner doom, is a rock music fusion genre that combines elements of doom metal with psychedelic rock and acid rock .

1 Like

If I’m pedantic for me there’s only two true Stoner Rock bands and it’s Kyuss and QOTSA. What made it distinct was Josh Hommes’ guitar technique of playing through a bass amplifier. That gave it this thicc stoner vibe. I don’t know if he was the first one to play like this but anyhow it was and is still epic to listen to. Both bands are unmatched in conveying this stoner desert vibe.

2 Likes

Okay, I have been high on more substances than most people even know can get you high and I think this is a pretty drum idea for a genre because it incorporates just about every other genre except that mumbly “rap” shit. Just IMO though. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Man, I guess my first post there completely missed the mark! But hey, that is what my brain snapped to when I heard the words “Stoned” and “Rock” used in the same sentence! :laughing: I guess I never really listened to this genre.

That said, I found this link that identifies the 10 best Stoner Rock albums of all time (or something like that!).

The 10 Best Stoner Rock Albums | Louder (loudersound.com)

I might queue one of them up one night and see just what they are talking about. Honestly the term always seemed ambiguous to me anyway.

A couple of my genre spanning favorites for elevated listening

I’ve found I need music that is at least somewhat complex, otherwise my mind chases rabbits.

2 Likes

Yeaaah my reply was based on the first track in your first video, the other ones veer more into that grungy distorted guitar riffing that I was calling “more hardcore and aggressive”. Those parts aren’t chill to me, not least of all because they trigger my tinnitus all to hell :joy: but they do seem to be integral to what’s been called “stoner rock”.

Definitely chill, but I’m not hearing anything ‘stoner’ in there, I’d just call it ambient.

DX312 > MT604 (nos tubes) > Serratus

1 Like

I’m listening to Naxatras “IV” now. Good stuff!

Never heard of this band until your post. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like