The "Too good for the price" list

Maybe add Topping E30 under DACs?
$130, measures well, and sounds great. Even comes with a remote and has some filters to boot.

2 Likes

For sure!!

Thanks for the e30 suggestion, now I know what I’m getting for my living room to complete it, using an d30 atm so not too bad, but then I wont have to adjust anything by hand if I can remote control volume and switch sources :wink:

2 Likes

No prob! I really like it a lot and definitely think it is a great value for what you get with it.

1 Like

Yup. Added a few things.

Maybe you should add the Emotiva A100 to the list

1 Like

Added this too.

1 Like

whats a AVR?

Audio Video Reciever for surround sound stuff usually

I wish that the basx was that price over here, it’s £350 here :disappointed_relieved:

Added some stuff again. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My 50th edit! :tada:

-Divided speakers into active and passive speakers.
-Divided headphone amps and balanced headphone amps.
-Added a few comments:

Added these:

2 Likes

I also added a ton of power measurements @ 32 ohms for the headphone amps.
Yes, we need more active speakers.
This list also needs tubes.

question… would you consider this list good for finding good starter headphones… like great entry levels for beginners

Schiit Modius as a balanced DAC for $200 with its measurements is tough to keep off this list.

SMSL SU8 for about $200 offering balanced + remote + those filters + measurements is also tough to beat at that price point.

3 Likes

Definitely. :slight_smile: These aren’t “too good for the price” according to only me or only Zeos, these are “too good for the price” according to many.

I personally only own the HD58Xs, but also the 4 first IEMs in this list and the Fluance SX6 speakers. Also the Behringer UCA-202 and the JDS Labs Atom.

…for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone’s heard of the $40 TempoTec Sonata HD Pro? An OEM of Hidizs S8 for half the cost.

Seems too good for the price as written reviews would compare it to more expensive dongle DACs. Maybe that should be another category in this thread?

I would add the EarMen TR-Amp to the list. Works wonders with Sennheiser cans… the difference it made to my HD 598 was significant, yet subtle. It definitely brought the life out of those cans, felt like a completely new headphone.

For 250 bucks, you are getting a portable amp that is built like a tank, built and manufactured in Europe, and also has a ton of options - you can drive two headphones simultaneously, you can charge and use the amp simultaneously (as long as you have and extra USB C to USB A cable).

I love this little guy too much. Can drive planars too - it drove the Hifiman Deva without any sound compromises or distortions. However, I was pushing it to it’s limit. It had a harder time driving the Kbear TRI i3 IEM (planar magnetic). As far as dynamic headphones go, this is my go-to.

Kind of bummed to not see them getting enough attention. So here I am sharing my experience =)

Can anyone try ollo s4x? this guy prefers them over the hifiman ananda!

1 Like

wow, never heard of Ollo but damn that looks interesting. Especially the trial thing

Ordering these next paycheck actually, that trial is legit, these will be In my studio rotation, casual listening will be secondary but this review is promising

2 Likes