The "Too good for the price" list

Added this one too. Classy little thing.

Thoughts about the Yamaha RS202?

For the price that is pretty great, but in that range I would actually look for used or refurb tbh

1 Like

That’s what I thought, lol. Don’t buy AVRs new…
Buy 5 year old ones for 20% of the original price on eBay. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alot of the time it’s a fair bit less than that lol

1 Like

They go obsolete so quickly now…

Just like don’t buy any blueray players this year cause ps4s are gonna be selling for cheap both new and used later this year

Unless you need ultra hd support, other than that, yeah, good advice.

PS3s work too… :stuck_out_tongue:
Excellent CD-DVD-Bluray player and a clean RCA line out straight to my Atom (you know, the red-white-yellow cable you never used? heh).

By the way, I remember some casual or non-gamers returning their PS4s because they already had a PS3 and they found “no use for a PS4”. i.e.: Apparently you can’t transfer audio/video/photos to the PS4 drive, but your PS3 really can be a multimedia center if you want (DLNA support too, see “PS3 Media Server” for windows).

4 Likes

I would say the monoprice retro’s fall in to the too good for price category. Really impressive bass. i got these and the 99 noirs at the same time and while i probably didn’t give the noirs enough time, the cost to performance of the retros really stood out. Even after spending a lot of time with my purplehearts going back to the retros is pretty impressive. They do probably need a pad swap, more for comfort than sound but on sale for 20 and normally 30 is an excellent value. Great option for the basshead on a budget

I couldn’t get a seal with the stock pads but yes stupid amounts of fun bass with these… with a pad swap they get close to the price of the cal though :thinking:

1 Like

yeah for me with pad swap the retros came to 45 which puts them close to the cals. Although from what i understand the CALs would fall into this category as well. I have not tried them

This is interesting. 25$.

1 Like

Modified infos for the Sundara, especially since there’s been a recent “silent revision”.

2 Likes

Phillips SHP9500?

1 Like

Apparently someone replaced his ELACs with these.
See Zeos’s comment section.
And yes, Zeos was right, they’re DSP corrected (see official website).

Added to the list. It’s not like DSP bookshelves for 150$ are easy to find anyway.

Edit: A ton of pics of the insides here:

Including this graph. i.e.: Yeah, set treble to -3.
image.php

Added a speaker amp. We need more lo-cost, hi-fi speaker amps! :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally added these. Anything particular to add about these headphones? Except maybe “don’t buy the 32 ohms version?” (32 ohms ver. = too much treble?)

Added the Asgard 3 in the “amps” section.

…and in the DAC/Amps section!

3 Likes

What. I screwed up. It’s balanced and RCA inputs for a speaker amp output. Corrected.