The "Too good for the price" list

Added. :no_mouth:

Also I apparently totally forgot about… well, a really niche category, Dac + Amp + Speaker amp (as in, the “original” speaker wires, not RCA/XLR).

SMSL AD18, Topping DX3?

I honestly don’t believe they’re “too good for the price”, though. Excellent for convenience, but measurements are “meh”. I definitely don’t regret buying a Denon AVR-1312 for 100$ on eBay instead of a brand new SMSL AD18 or something similar. For higher quality there’s TEAC, but the 301 is 400$… And… we’re talking about AVRs now. Shrugs.

Edit: Oh, there’s also tube amps. Tube amps (Dac/amp/speaker amps), but also… “Too good for the price” tube amps? The little bear B4?

Topping pa3 and Denon pma600ne

…and there are zero pure speaker amps too in this list, yup. Lol.
Added the PA3 for now.

By the way @M0N you mentioned the Asgard 3, probably for powah, but it’s 3.5 watts and I just added the Heresy… 2.5 watts 119dB SINAD for 100$.

Probably the main reason why you mentioned the Denon pma600ne too.

I’m going off of sound quality here, the Asgard 3 is a step above the heresy imo

The denon is just a feature packed integrated that sounds really good for the price, highly recommend

1 Like

I really love my massdrop Cavali Liquid Carbon X. I got it on sale for $220 and I can’t believe the sound that comes out of it.

Yeah it’s a nice amp, especially for the reduced price it was selling at.
I’m a fan of the Cavali sound, I think the Liquid Spark is the best of the $100 amps, I own a CTH and a Liquid Platinum. I’ll probably pick up a Liquid Gold X when monoprice finally ships it.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Liquid Platinum, or Liquid Spark DAC’s are any good as well

1 Like

Yeah the Cavali sound it so nice. Something about it I can’t quite put to words. Its immediacy something about the delivery of the sound

You should include the Sivga p2. at 400$ and sounds just like the Aiva’s?

1 Like

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/minnetonka-mn/41113-S000020384/Used-SPL-Phonitor-X-Preamp-Mic-Amp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j_GAhQpQIJPSKo7xKlb6_1eyL6tgppE7vUBCBOvlbIaQg0XMLWJ3RsaAj86EALw_wcB

So @Antpage2 asked if I could find a Cheap Phonitor, and while a bit weird with the label, check it out, 1200 for a Phonitor X and I think it has the DAC installed. Kinda Sketchy but if it’s legit, may be one hell of a grab.

1 Like

how good is the Tin T2’s cable… evil cat means i have significant problems with cables… but i dont wanna waste my V35’s high quality DAC/AMP (even if i dont even notice the difference compared to bluetooth)

It’s on the thin side but really good imo. Doesn’t tangle too much and looks nice. Some people like the T3’s cable more which I haven’t used but I’m not thinking of buying a replacement cable anytime soon.

k

i dunno if id head a difference though (from bluetooth earbuds to 20 dollar IEMs to M50s after the honeymoon phase of just hearing them for the first time there isn’t much a difference to me)

cables are more for comfort and reliability rather than sound.

i meant a difference in the headphones…

and im pretty sure a lot of people will agree most bluetooth headphones aren’t good enough (i have some creative outliers and they are alright though)

Yeah, a girl I know searches for kitten-proof cables too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Taotronics Soundsurge 55, $100 for a very decently made pair of BT headphones with excellent battery life and excellent active noise cancelling.

This guy gave a really good list:

** Torq Managing Editor & Founding Member

taronlissimore:

How do you feel about the term “punching above their weight”

It works for me - I interpret it as “unusually good value” - and it tends to avoid the rapid descent into rampant hyperbole that terms like “giant killer” evoke. And over 30 years in the audio hobby I’ve come across lots of products that would qualify as “punching above their weight” (i.e. unusually good value), where as literally a handful are things I consider “giant killers”.

taronlissimore:

Which headphones do you feel truly punch above their weight class and why?

Listed alphabetically by manufacturer (no other ordering implied), some of the more prominent ones that come to mind (and not necessarily an exhaustive list):

Audeze LCD-2.2C (circa 2012, pre-fazor)

It took even Audeze several years to comprehensively beat a good copy of these. Yes, you could argue the LCD-X beat them - at nearly double the price and with a completely different signature. But if we wanted to retain the Audeze house-sound, it wasn’t until the original LCD-4 that Audeze pulled that one off reliably (good copies of the LCD-3 could be preferable - but personally I never found one that was good enough ).

Dan Clark Audio/Mr Speakers - AEON Flow 2 Closed

Probably the best closed-back planar, period, and one of the better closed-backs at any price. The only reasonable alternative I can think of to the Elegia, for those that want a meatier signature, and really not much else until you start running into the likes of the Vérité Closed and Focal Stellia.

Etymotic Research ER4-S (and SR/XR)

The best mechanical isolation available, in a linear sounding, reasonably easy to drive, and tiny package that exhibits the best phase, technical and overall tonal performance in any single-driver IEM I’ve heard, and comfortably, and realistically, competes with IEMs costing many times its asking price.

Focal Clear

90% of the performance of the Utopia for about 40% of the price. Easy to drive. Only really serious challenger for resolution and dynamics was the HD800S until the HEDDphone dropped.

Focal Elegia

Closest thing to a truly neutral, reference-class, closed back headphone - with fewer artifacts from being closed than pretty much anything else. Even with higher-end models from elsewhere most are a “fun” (U or V shaped) tuning, or too specialized, until you run into the Vérité Closed and focal Stellia.

HEDD Audio HEDDphone

A first entrant that, after a couple of weeks listening, I would say pretty much tops everything I’ve heard around its price, several models well above its price, and manages to best some much more expensive units in some individual technical areas. Possibly redefines its segment (though may also result in price increases from other manufacturers as they update/replace their similarly-priced models).

Koss Porta Pro

Not much really needs to be said here.

RAAL-requisite SR1a

Literally bests every headphone I’ve ever heard, at any price point, all the way up to Sennheiser’s $55,000 HE-1 (“Orpheus II”). Redefined what was possible in a headphone, while coming in at a lower cost than any of the legitimate flagships.

Sennheiser HD58X - Jubilee

As a sensible remix, that are easier to drive, and have a really solid baseline tonality, along with more than decent technical performance, they handily beat out much of the competition up to 2-3x their price, with the exception of their old, more venerable, “brothers”.

Sennheiser HD650 (and HD6XX)

A classic, and its cheaper, plainer, but still fantastic, derivative. Recent models (late 2015/early 2016) removed the “veil” and expanded the stage. These are still a reference over a decade and a half (actually 17 years) since they were introduced. Even today very few headphones can legitimately claim to best the HD650 across the board, and they are frequently fixtures in systems with four and five figure sources and amps.

Sennheiser HD800S

The HD800S, along with suitably modified original HD800, have been sporting with the more recent rounds of $3,000-$4,000 headphones all along. They’re not as heavy a higher-tier puncher as the HD650, nor as consistently so highly regarded, but there are still things they do so well that you cannot best them without spending significantly more.

taronlissimore:

If every $35-50 Chi-Fi IEM punches above its weight, can that term still be used or should that just be the standard expected in that price bracket now?

I’ve got a big box of “recommended” models that fall in that category that ably demonstrate that by no means does every $35-50 Chinese IEM punch above it’s weight. A lot were superficially impressive, but with further listening it rapidly becomes apparent the only punching that then went on was to the dick.

Which is not to say there aren’t IEMs in this category, its just not nearly all of them.

taronlissimore:

What are some headphones you feel punch below their weight? Whether it’s because they’ve become outdated with a stagnant pricing structure, released at the incorrect price or other factors.

A disturbing proportion of Beyerdynamics, everything I’ve ever heard from Ultrasone, the HD700, Sony MDR-Z1R, Fostex TH900-Mk2, I think HiFiMAN still need to do a better job on their builds, particularly at the higher end and the Meze Empyrean would be a lot more interesting at $2,000.**

3 Likes

Had to add this.

1 Like