The "Too good for the price" list

I’d say that, even at their current full price, HD660S’s are a great deal.

with the 58x at it’s current price? i would hesistate.to me the 600 series end to be not well priced anyway…

$150 minus taxes

$190 if you want a balanced cable

I definitely see and understand your point, but I think both conclusions are very powerful for the reader.

I know the point is to identify what are underrated or under-priced performers that are clearly built and designed well, but if a reader uses this as a pseudo-buyers guide, I think the other point is just as powerful.
Whether or not it’s on a deep sale, finding a product that will perform well above the price you pay for it (on sale or not).

I would rather trust Thomas & Stereo or ZeroFidelity when it comes to really high end stuff. Z is great with cheaper gear, but I dont think he has too much experience with 2k+ speakers to claim “best speakers ever” with those Ohms. I mean what other expensive, floorstanders have you seen on Z reviews recently? :smiley: I would love to see more, but I guess for most people it would not make sense and most of us would rather watch videos about 100 dollar products. (I m kinda on both camps :smiley: )

3 Likes

Also, when you get high enough, I cannot stress how important it is to audition gear at your own home.
Even if something reviews super well and you’re getting a deal of the century, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. If you’re spending big bucks, you gotta make sure you love it.

1 Like

Yeah you have to do that in order to justify the higher end purchases at times

2 Likes

Zing! I guess that explains my mental state the last few months then…

But more to my point, I’m glad I didn’t blindly buy KEF LS50s when they were on sale. They get tons of hype, but I would have hated them

https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-803-HCS-BLK-Cinema/dp/B07JJ5VKHL/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=jamo&qid=1580200690&sr=8-1

5.0 jamo kit for 199

I use an SMSL AD18 to power a pair of JBL B15’s and a small TV in my kitchen and use this set-up almost daily. At a cost of $140 for the Smsl and $107 for the JBL’s for daily use in a non-critical listening environment for pure ease of use (even the GF manages to BT to it regularly) i find these 2 products might possibly fall into this category of “too good for the price”. The reason i chose these speakers is because they are relatively small and flat and could be hung on the wall so they are up and out of the way and they project sound into the room well.

The JBL’s sound very good and work well as designed so even at full retail of $200+ i would still find them an excellent value because they can properly be hung on a wall flat and sound full despite their lack of ability to play low end frequencies. Also, being a sealed design they don’t bottom out easily or have any real distortion at any sort of moderate power level feed.

The SMSL has many easy to use features, has thus far in 2 years only needed to be re-set one time, it easily provides 30wpc cleanly without distortion or noise, has multiple useful inputs, and has a strong pitbull like BT that does not drop in a 30ft radius. It’s got a tiny footprint, doesn’t get hot and has a useable screen and remote along w/ a subwoofer output which i have used on and off the past 2 years.

There is nothing mid-fi or high quality about either of these 2 products but they both do their job well and as designed and provide excellent value for their price point. To me they both belong on this list for continuing to provide daily use at a really low cost “too good for the price” point.

As an honorable mention I would also like to throw the SIVGA 006 into the mix at under $95 full retail. I have yet to purchase a “better” closed back because the 006 offers so much value for the closed back segment. I have listened to a few costlier closed back headphones but find them a niche market as open backs in general do everything “better” for me. I only use closed backs when trying to keep music “to myself” which is rarely or when i travel. The next step-up for closed backs is hundreds if not $1k and above for a better value. Especially for something i often throw in my travel bag and power w/ portable options i have not been able to justify a “higher end” purchase and they continue to be my go-to closed back design going on over 2 years now. They are “good enough”, for me and my closed back needs.

I had to wait to post in this thread because i really wanted to think about what I put down and i’m happy i waited after reading most of the comments, i feel good with these 3 items here.

1 Like

Hmm… AD18 yeah… there’s DACs and AMPs in this list but no dac-amps! :no_mouth:

Topping DX3 pro? MX3? Ifi Zen? Fiio K5 Pro? Both?

I’ll add the 20$ nobsound to the list I think, lol!

Fiio k5 pro and Zen dac get my vote

Getting a good balanced Burr brown dac and a nice amp for easy to drive headphones for 120 is a great deal

The k5 pro is just sweet for the price, really hard to beat tbh for harder to drive headphones or single ended headphones at 150

2 Likes

Daclifiers added. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone think the DT880 600 ohm belongs on this list?

Yes, I just assumed it was already there lol. But I don’t personally think any of these are too good for the price, I just think they set the bar for the price

3 Likes

T50RPs couls be there, but they need mods… and an amp. He4xxs could be there too, but, sibilance? DT880s are 200$-ish and need an amp… but this list has no inexpensive closed-back headphones :thinking: (except a cheap gaming headset and the weird nighthawks)

Nearly 2000 request for another 177x Go on “Drop”, by the way!

The Blon bl03 for 25 bucks should be in the list for sure. No other item offers what these offer for that price, hyped or not.

Sony MH755 lol, pretty damn good

Haven’t tried it…

MH755 appears more neutral too.
Panasonic HJE 120 or HJE 125s might be easier to find.
If you want “air” (something above 10khz) go for KZ, though. ZS10 Pros especially. Air as in, you press “play” and they “disappear”.

More infos here :stuck_out_tongue: