đŸ”¶ Thieaudio Legacy 3

I wouldn’t say they’re similar to the starfields. Starfields are very smooth throughout its entire frequency. L3’s are noticeably bassier with better imaging, but a smaller soundstage that doesn’t wrap behind the head. Really comes down to preference of the sound in the end. Can’t go wrong with either of em.

1 Like

My very first pair of IEMs and my entry to the Audiophile community/scene.

Unfortunately, with the pandemic schools shutdown and I will get significantly less money due to it 'cause my allowance is cut. So I decided I’ll buy an IEM as my first piece of audiophile equipment. And I love it.

The only other audio equipment I use is the Bose QC 35, and this was my basis on listening to these.

Packaging and design-wise, the clockworks looks much more better than what is seen on the pictures. The new green packaging makes it look much more premier than it was before, honestly it gave me more of a pro on buying these than the Starfields.

For the bass, for me it was the most similar thing to the qc35s, but on certain songs the bass on these felt more textured, and feels so juicy. The mids on the other hand, they show more detail such as the decay of voices, the hidden second voices on tracks, and a beautiful sounding vocal. The highs are something I have never truly enjoyed before, on the qc35 it’s like they are non-existent if I ever hear them, it’s because i turned the volume to the red levels (the ear damage warning for Samsung phones) and the song is pretty much distorted already. It is like it is the first time I hear treble, and it was a beautiful experience. Although it has its own flaws, the treble seems to be of lower sounding or rolled off on some very high frequency sounds, and when you are playing at a 35-50%+ volume (Samsung volume for reference, pretty loud already imo) some treble on some tracks it will sound cracking or like the feeling that the drivers cannot reproduce the same sound. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed hearing most of the treble.

It is honestly surprising me, how at 1/4 of the price of the QC35 it has even equal noise isolation (at least for certain scenarios), and has a much better sound quality maybe like around 30% or possibly more (15 hours of listening atm, so i might see even more detail and like it more).

This makes me really want to listen and have high end gear, but for now I am enjoying these, and hopefully by the end of the year I could buy myself my first pair of audiophile headphones. Hope you all a good day ahead!

9 Likes

Hey guys these use the qdc connector right?

Not 100% sure, but I’m fairly certain the non-customs are QDC and customs are 2 Pin.

4 Likes

Thank you just wanted to make sure before I order a balanced cable

It appears BGGAR has dropped his rankings of the Legacy 3 and Legacy 9. OUCH!

3 Likes

They’re still S tier, what changed?they’re = not -.

Going to be more changes. The idea of a list that stays static when there is constant changes, tech, QC that can only be gained in hindsight is impractical. I now know why everyone who has a list I am aware of changed the evaluation method and rankings. It’s folks money so staying steady for your image/laziness or disregard for others wallets is not how I am going to do this.

4 Likes

It’s your list and you’ll change it if you want to, change it if you want to
 :musical_note:

With all the QC issues/tonal variations I would expect you to drop your rating. My L3 has the least amount of treble of all my IEMs.

4 Likes

You are right. I noticed that from reading more things but I will see.

Yesterday I got informed that mystic customs can not be made so I decided to get custom L3 in clear grey and purple fade to orange wood? faceplate. could be a good choice but of cource paid for the extra. I pretty sure Vision Ears Cologne as an example would charged nothing
 for their own fault. So for EU people - express shipping DHL tracked is 70ish €uros and takes less than a week + customs doing their work 1 week extra than about 1 week for waiting list. Curious if they ship mine tomorrow.

This is my first post on any audio forum ever, and I just wanted to get the word out that my (Mystic) L3 connection point where the unit met the cable had cracking problems. It might be an issue with mine, but about three weeks after purchase, and using the L3 as my daily driver (nothing too serious, just taking around the house during quarantine) the elevated clear plastic section that holds the 2pin connectors on the IEM unit started to show cracking lines. Another week later, the right unit connector had a fragment of plastic completely fall off the IEM, exposing the metal of one of the female connectors. It functioned effectively the same audio wise, but was marginally looser.

Now that I’ve got my replacement, I will be extra careful and observe this connection point closely. I didn’t really plug and unplug this IEM cable a ton before anyways, and I only noticed the cracking plastic when I took off the cable to clean the IEM. I really hope this cracking issue was only with my first L3 IEM because I really do enjoy this product.

Also between my first and second unit, I didn’t notice any sound differences, but I might’ve been lucky.

2 Likes

Ditch the L3 and go get a Fiio FH3. I’m about ready to throw my custom L3 out the window. It has no treble!

Oh, by the way
 Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I’m sorry to hear the Custom L3’s don’t do it for you. I’ve always been afraid of CIEMs because I’m afraid of commitment to a sound signature that I can’t change around with tips. I got my first foam IEM tips around a decade ago, and I’ve been experimenting back and forth with foam and silicone tips on my different IEMs. Right now, I’ve got some medium silicone tips that came with my Moondrop Kanas Pro on my L3 with down-up configuration, and I’m getting a satisfactory amount of treble in my niche music library of Japanese dojin music and nZk/Hiroyuki Sawano soundtracks.

I’m excited by the FH3, but I’m going to wait for more reviews to come out. On the diffusion of innovations scale, I’m more of a “late majority adopter” of new technologies.

1 Like

Seriously. It is legendary especially at the price point.

1 Like

@PapaEmeritus Even on the detailed setting no treble?

Yeah. It’s pretty well documented that the Legacy 3 has a lot of unit variation. Some reviewers on youtube will call it one of the best sounding IEMs they’ve ever heard with treble that sparkles! Others will say it has no treble at all. There are also graphs from all over that back this up.

ChiFi QC.

1 Like

Oh
fun
lol

I’m curious to know to what extent a set variation is physically. What changed within the unit itself to change the sound you’re hearing, and to what extent can that change affect the sound? It’s not possible to EQ 2 sets that sound different into the same set is it? Can set variance only affect certain aspects of the sound such as the tonality, or can it affect technicalities as well?

What is a technicality?

I’ve been lucky enough to listen to 2 different L3 units and tonally they are indistinguishable, given that most of the playtime I spent on both of them was on the down-up setting.