Thieaudio Legacy 4

Sure.

The Legacy 4 is brighter than the Mangird Tea. The Mangird Tea and the L5 are almost indistinguishable from one another. The Mangird Tea has a little bit more elevated sub bass than the L5 and the L5 is ever so brighter.

The L5 & Mangird Tea are sub bass focused and generally quite neutral otherwise. The L4 is the most neutral and is easiest to recommend due to how universal the tuning is and the new tighter dynamic. I’d have to agree the decision would have to come down to the L4 and the Mangird Tea for my preferences. In the end, I think the L4 would probably make more people happy because it will work so well across genres.

BGGAR just posted info on Youtube concerning the B2 and L4. He said the L4 is the better IEM. I haven’t listened to the Blessing 2. I’m afraid of its shell size enough not to buy it.

4 Likes

How are these for listening primarily to EDM ? Would the Fiio FH3 be a better choice maybe?

The Legacy 4 is now available as a CIEM, starting at $325. You don’t have the option to keep the default faceplate for L4 CIEMs, but I messaged them on their discord about it, I’ll reply here with whatever they say about it.

1 Like

I’d personally feel like I would reach for the FH3 first in most cases with EDM, but I wouldn’t be disappointed using either. The Legacy 4 definitely isn’t a Basshead IEM, but it is a great all-rounder.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your insights - it has been very helpful. I may get the tea as a first shot then as due to the sub bass you mentioned, it would distinguish it from the less bassy BA and Planar iems I have. I will however keep an eye on L4 and may pick up a pair next time they are on sale- hopefully they will have the 10% off applicable on it - the accessories package on the L4 seems really amazing though :slight_smile:

One question - is there a substantial/noticeable size difference between the two? seems the L4 may be on the smaller size and likely be an easier fit than larger IEMs…

1 Like

I agree. The bass on the FH3 is faster and more defined. Both IEMs are great especially for their price.

1 Like

It is. I feel the large case is totally unnecessary, but the little fabric padded IEM case is awesome. The cable blows my mind for the price point what Thieaudio were able to include.

Good question. Not between the Tea and the L4. They are about the same size. Once you move to the L5, Clairvoyance and Monarch , that’s when the shells can become problematic for small ears. The L4 is actually a bit small for my ear. The L5 fits me like a glove and the Clairvoyance is a tiny bit large for my left ear. It likes to push its way out if I wear a tip slightly too large.

I think you’re making a great choice going with the Mangird Tea. Hope you love it.

2 Likes

For anyone interested. I was doing my sound comparisons of the L4 by memory and wanted to do a 1 to 1 direct comparison, so I just sat here for a few hours comparing the L5, L3 and the L4.

The Legacy all but eliminates the need for the Legacy 5 or 3. It is just a better IEM in every way.

The L5 is warmer and that warmth comes at the cost of detail and clarity vs the L4. The L4 clarity and mature tuning also leads to a more spacious soundstage and better imaging.

8 Likes

How would you say detail and imaging are between the L4 and Tea, and between the L4 and Clairvoyance? Just curious, thanks.

The Clairvoyance has the widest stage and clearest imaging.

I’d have to do some critical listening between the L4 and the Tea to tell the difference. I’ll EDIT this thread once I have some reactions.

A little busy tonight…

EDIT:
Testing sounstage and imaging with this track… I use FLAC.

Between the Legacy 4 and the Mangird Tea, the sense of stage and imaging is almost identical. I’m going back and forth between them and the only difference I can hear is that the Tea is a bit “beefier” and the L4 is leaner and brighter in comparison. Stage and imaging is a wash really using the same source and tips.

Anyone valuing treble/brightness over a slightly more relaxed sound will prefer the Legacy 4. Vice Versa, the Tea.

6 Likes

Linsoul says they’ll add the default faceplate as an option for the Legacy 4 CIEM, may take a bit to be added to the site

it seems this or the fh3 is the best “budget” IEM under 200. i got the fh3 for 100 even open box and 3 day shipping. id say i won considering its weeks for the L4 but then again there is a lot of praise for the L4 here so maybe i should try it. when used ones come up in a couple months. 2021 best year for used audio gear.

Picking between L4, isn h40 & tea for pop & alternative music? Any thoughts? Thanks :smiley:

H40 is way too warm colored & bass-smeared. Something else lol. Maybe try Orb.

H40 is too warm and colored, but not Orb? That’s interesting (not being sarcastic). I’ve never heard of them compared in that manner.

1 Like

Totally agree. It’s not my cup of tea, but for some genres of music, it sounds fantastic. It does have very good timbre. It’s warm and lush. It’s not an IEM that excels in technicalities, especially speed.

Never heard Orb, so can’t say. Hopefully it doesn’t sound real similar to H40 :\

Those Penon boys actually sent me a Christmas & NYE card, with actual handwriting…! Like, whoa

1 Like

Orb is out of my budget atm. Down to L4 or tea

For pop, rnb, alternative & rock, L4 or Tea? Thanks :grinning:

Tea = $299, Orb = $259. Oh, you’ve probably got a Linsoul giftcard or something, shucks. You could try contacting Penon, and tell them your dilemma. =p Might work!

1 Like