Things you've learned on your audio journey

Learned i will go into insolvency taking trips to stem cell clinics in order to keep myself alive to experience nextgen home entertainment.

dacs: they… barely matter, the bass feel a bit more clear but not much else to really feel like a substantial update
records: cartridge and pressing matter more than everything else
headphones: I like my shit bright and V shaped
chi-fi: they have awful grammar and people will probably debate if its really that good but the value is there
reviewers: there is no such thing as objective measurement based reviews

3 Likes

DACS matter as much as a TT/arm/cartridge/step up. I had a TNT Jr/Clear Audio straight tracker/Koetsu Signature/Pass Ono (about $12k list) that is topped by a Schiit Gumby with TIDAL/UAPP/Hi-Res/LG v40 ($20 per month + $150 for the phone).

Cartridges in the wrong arm can be extremely bad. IE high compliance cartridge in high mass arm or low compliance on low mass arm. Best to stick with straight trackers since there is no inner grove distortion, about 1/5 the wear per play on your vinyl too.

I like my headphones fairly flat, very rich sounding but with outstanding transparancy. Tough to get to.

2 Likes

@Ohmboy J J One of my all time favorite movies!

1 Like

This thread should be recommended reading for all newbies!! And some oldbies!

1 Like

What is the biggest thing you've learned during your audiophile journey? @Resolution there’s already a thread for this fyi

1 Like

But the other one is in the IEM section, which I why I didn’t bother with it.

1 Like

My thread was supposed to be specific to IEMs.

Been at this for decades, but just went digital in 2009.

Leaned in hard in 2014.

1. It took me years to figure out what sound I like. I have but I could not describe it if my life depended on it. :grin:

2. The “acclaimed” products in the Head-Fi business should be looked at skeptically. Many have disappointed me.

3. Money really does matter. While there are Great values out there, the three headphones I love are my most expensive purchases.

4. I do not understand most of the audiophile terms and I don’t care anymore. To me most things fall under bright, dark, smooth, bassy or clean/clear.

5. The biggest one for me is knowing to say when. There is nothing wrong with mid-fi. I am very happy there. That does not mean that I won’t grab a Clear or an Arya or a Woo amp down the road. I am sure I probably will, but the feverish need to upgrade has definitely cooled off (he says after three recent, expensive purchases :laughing:)

PS: I have also learned that I do NOT have golden years or anything like it. :smile:

3 Likes

I learned that the room is everything.
I was throwing more and more money chasing better sound but the moment I heard decent room eq a very large penny dropped.
So before spending money on anything, deal with the room 1st.
Whether that be by dsp, room treatment or just using furniture etc. Make the room as good as it can be with whatever means available so that you can get the best out of whatever kit you buy.

2 Likes
  1. Cables don’t matter
  2. Old Equipment still sounds good for a 1/4 the price
  3. Cassette tapes sound surprisingly good, with a quality player and hifi set up.
  4. FB marketplace and Craigslist is a great place to start.
3 Likes

knowing you for the short time that I have, I do know that you really haven’t learned this one, LoL!

3 Likes

There is only selling in my immediate and near term future! :grin:

2 Likes

you’ve said that before too, LoLoL!!!

1 Like

I think the main thing I’ve really learned or changed my opinions about is to not really care about what the artist intends. as I the listener, should care more about what I like and what I enjoy as at the end of the day that’s how I’m gonna get the most out of my money

8 Likes

This one is more open. So u could have still put ur thoughts about IEMs here

1 Like

Cat5 speaker cables, ftw. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

amateurs, clothes hangers are the best

You better not be one of those plebs who uses the painted clothes hangers. Some rust adds sparkle in the treble.

1 Like

But I thought cables didn’t matter? Rust should be fine